PDA

View Full Version : Green Maple Bowl

Toby Bouder
02-25-2015, 6:19 PM
I dyed this figured maple bowl brown, sanded it back, then dyed it green. 7 inches wide by 2.5 inches high, finished with wipe on poly and buffed.

Doug Herzberg
02-25-2015, 6:27 PM
Toby, I love your work and this is a great bowl from a beautiful piece of wood, but the green isn't doing it for me. Sorry. Maybe with the right decor.

Toby Bouder
02-25-2015, 6:50 PM
Toby, I love your work and this is a great bowl from a beautiful piece of wood, but the green isn't doing it for me. Sorry. Maybe with the right decor.

I understand Doug. I do have a number of followers who's favorite color is green, so I do a few of every color to try to please everyone.

David Delo
02-25-2015, 7:25 PM
Well................St.Paddy's day is in a few weeks!

Randy Red Bemont
02-25-2015, 7:53 PM
It's different but I like it.

Red

Wes Ramsey
02-26-2015, 9:51 AM
I like the contrast the brown adds to the green, and that green is a fun eye-catcher. I dyed a maple vase (blue) several months ago that came out with a similar effect, but it wasn't intentional :) This makes me want to try again to see if I can get the grain to pop like that. I just love the depth of grain you can get with maple!

Steve Doerr
02-26-2015, 5:03 PM
Toby, nice bowl and I like the way you got the grain to pop. Like Doug, the green isn't my cup of tea, But, as you said, you have some customers that like green and when they like it and buy it we all know that the customer is always right:D

jared parson
02-26-2015, 11:42 PM
I like it. The contrast is nice, as well as the finish. I just came in from the shop and experimented with dye for the first time tonight. I dyed the rim of an ash bowl, and was pleased with how it came out. I'll post a pic when it's finished.

Toby Bouder
02-27-2015, 10:02 AM
I like it. The contrast is nice, as well as the finish. I just came in from the shop and experimented with dye for the first time tonight. I dyed the rim of an ash bowl, and was pleased with how it came out. I'll post a pic when it's finished.
Jared, I left a message on your profile page.

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Toby, nice work on using dye to highlight the curl! I am curious though if the color changed after applying poly or if this shade of green was what you intended. Reason I ask is this seems to have a distinct yellow hue to it. I have had good experience with minimal color change if I use a brand new can of poly. Seems that once the air gets into the can of poly, it starts to take on a yellow hue - and the older the finish, the darker the yellow it will add to the final product.

Thom Sturgill
02-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Toby, that is a fine bowl form with some pretty wood. As others have said - green is not my favorite, but the dye job did pop the grain. that said I also prefer to keep some of the natural color and generally leave the inside natural.

Toby Bouder
02-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Toby, nice work on using dye to highlight the curl! I am curious though if the color changed after applying poly or if this shade of green was what you intended. Reason I ask is this seems to have a distinct yellow hue to it. I have had good experience with minimal color change if I use a brand new can of poly. Seems that once the air gets into the can of poly, it starts to take on a yellow hue - and the older the finish, the darker the yellow it will add to the final product.

Hi Steve, I know what you mean about old WOP. This is actually the color that I applied. I mixed ten drops of Transtint yellow with one drop of blue, then applied that mixture in two coats to avoid any bare spots. Yes, an odd color, but people have different tastes.
I was once at a show and a lady looked over everything I had out on display. She finally asked me if I had anything else. I told her just some odd ball stuff that I brought just in case. She said let me see, I just love the weird stuff. She ended up buying two of my "reject" items.

Daniel Gross
02-27-2015, 3:09 PM
very nice, love the color

Donny Lawson
03-04-2015, 8:05 PM
I think it is a great looking piece. The shade of green is nice. Not too dark and that's good.