PDA

View Full Version : Engraving polymer PMags

Kit Dumph
02-25-2015, 2:28 PM
Anyone have experience with this? Doing my first one today and it's emitting some nasty smells. PMAG really doesn't say exactly whats in their product from my research, so am trying to figure out if this is safe to hit with the co2 before doing anymore work on it.

Kit Dumph
03-01-2015, 1:28 PM
Anyone, or perhaps have a definitive list of materials that should not be engrave/cut with a co2 laser?

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2015, 1:50 PM
I'm finding that it's a fiber reinforced polyamide if that helps you in your search at all. I don't know if it's safe, but I would expect it to smell strong when engraving.

Kit Dumph
03-01-2015, 3:33 PM
Certainly a strong smell, even when exhausting outside. I tried calling Magpul who makes this product and they won't give out the information! Thinking if I could get a definitive list on materials not to cut though I could send this to them and ask them to tell me if I should be engraving/cutting them.

Bert Kemp
03-01-2015, 4:59 PM
I think If I called the company and told them what I was doing with their product and asked them if it was safe , and they wouldn't give me that information, I'd tell them that we then considered the product unsafe to use and our company would find alternative products to use.

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2015, 5:43 PM
I think If I called the company and told them what I was doing with their product and asked them if it was safe , and they wouldn't give me that information, I'd tell them that we then considered the product unsafe to use and our company would find alternative products to use.

They make durable magazines for guns. I don't think the laser engraving company is going to influence their policy on not giving out their special recipe.

I'd just ask them if it's got PVC or Teflon in it. I can't imagine what else could be in it that would be harmful on the laser side of things. They'll probably give you a yes or no on that and you'll be set.

Kit Dumph
03-02-2015, 9:44 PM
Just FYI and future searches PMAGS currently do not have teflon or PVC in them. Just stink when you engrave them. Here is a photo of what I was doing.

Bill George
03-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Looks very nice, who cares what they smell like engraving, vent it outside. You might have a good marketable item.
I might try doing a couple of mine.

Scott Marquez
03-03-2015, 2:07 AM
Very nice job, it looks almost like fish scales or Kryptek type pattern.
scott

Chris DeGerolamo
03-03-2015, 12:17 PM
cool. I propose an alternate: use the laser to cut 3m tread tape to fill the recesses on the mag. You'll want to cut it from the back (upside down). I've made them for my 1911 to fit on front of mag well, grip safety etc. as well as on a few glocks. they look good [albeit subjective to user] and they offer better functionality.

Kit Dumph
03-05-2015, 3:53 PM
Chris,

Thank you for the idea, I just ordered some grip tape for my glock will have to try that.

Patrick Smithwick
03-15-2015, 11:14 AM
I have done a few for customers but am not well pleased with the results either. The CO2 laser is not the right machine for the job.

Lee Reep
03-15-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm not surprised at Magpul's response. If you sell the engraved mags, and somebody has an issue, they will find fault with Magpul if not resolved by you. Almost all companies have statements about not modifying their products. Gun manufacturers and accessory manufacturers have plenty to worry about in today's political climate, just with their standard products.

I'm not saying you should not do mods on PMAGs, you just have to be realistic about what you should expect from the company.

Gary Hair
03-15-2015, 11:47 AM
I have done a few for customers but am not well pleased with the results either. The CO2 laser is not the right machine for the job.

my fiber turns the engraved area a nice tan color - no depth at all, just a color change.

Ray Scott
03-15-2015, 2:00 PM
I am also an AR user... I have several of these PMAGs .. I added the after-market grip bottoms. I would prefer the engraved feature on my PMAGs. I will likely try to engrave mine and post the results soon.

As for anyone that gets good results with engraving PMAGs. I would trade 3 premium mirrors (20mm diameter, silicon substrate, GOLD reflection surface) for (3) 30-RND PMAGs .. already engraved nice. Do the math .. its a great deal for anyone looking to get new mirrors.

Bill Cunningham
03-29-2015, 4:46 PM
AA few years back I did a bunch of mags for RockRiver Arms Canadian distributor, I don't know who made the mags but they we're pretty tough. I waxed them then engraved them. the wax made it possible to color fill them white. The surfaced was pebbled and the wax kept the paint off it..They did give off a pugnant odor.

Mike Audleman
03-31-2015, 4:28 PM

A. They doubtfully would give you that answer, lawyers and all.
B. They don't care, they are the #1 mag producer and seller on the planet.

Anyway, I laser etched a bunch of pmags for various people at the range. I experienced no unusual obnoxious oder than would be expected when lasering plastic.

j johnson
08-09-2015, 1:18 PM
What is the best laser for etching a PMag? fiber or YAG?

Dan Hintz
08-09-2015, 5:31 PM

Irrelevant... they're both (typically) the same wavelength.

Patrick Smithwick
08-10-2015, 12:50 PM

Am using a fiber myself.