PDA

View Full Version : HABITAT FOR HUMANITY humidor pic

Mark Valsi
07-30-2005, 2:50 PM
I made this humidor for the local Hab 4 Hum. They will auction it off in Sept. I hope they get a lot of money for it !

comments welcomed, pro and con !!!

Dan Oliphant
07-30-2005, 4:54 PM
Mark,
That's purdy!!!
I don't know if it is your design of what, but it sure looks great. Construction looks to be quite sound also.

Larry Reimer
07-30-2005, 5:14 PM
Mark, looks really good from here. I've seen pictures of other boxes you've made and have always been impressed. May I ask what the dark wood used on the exterior corners is? Thank you.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2005, 5:50 PM
Mark ...excellent work! I like those contrasting woods. What's the finish on it?

Brian Hale
07-30-2005, 7:08 PM
Thats is Awesome!!!!! I like the contrasting strips on the inside of the lid that mimics those on the outside. A very nice touch!

Brian :)

Keith Burns
07-30-2005, 7:35 PM
They should get a fortune for it ! It is absoloutely beautiful. Great piece.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-31-2005, 1:10 AM
That's beautiful. :)

Mark Valsi
07-31-2005, 7:58 AM
Thanks for the nice comments.

Woods are Curly maple booked matched and glued together for the top, Curly for the rest of the body, with Cocobolo inlays.

Inside is all Spanish Cedar resawn to about 5/16".

Danish oil, wipe on Poly, and then Black Bison wax.

The removable tray has a slatted bottom to allow more air flow. I used the Akeda jig to make the dovetails on the tray and handles.

front shows the little "inlay" of metal, I don't really know what to call it

Mark Singer
07-31-2005, 8:49 AM
Mark,

Just beautiful work! This project shows a great deal of skill and crafstmanship.

Earl Kelly
07-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Mark, I hope whoever get this understands and can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making it. You might want to enclose a thank you card with some details about the box, and your contact info. They might want a companion piece.

A very niece Humidor, I'm sure you're very proud of it. I would be.

Vaughn McMillan
07-31-2005, 5:58 PM
Very nice humidor, Mark. It should fetch a pretty penny. I like the design, the materials and the craftsmanship. The accent stripe pattern is similar to the approach I've been taking with maple cutting/serving boards lately. I've been scheming to build something similar for a jewelry box, and your design looks like something I might have done (although I can only wish my execution would be as good as yours).

- Vaughn