PDA

View Full Version : can you add a strip of plastic under your beis fence to raise it?

cody michael
02-25-2015, 1:31 PM
can you add a strip of plastic under your beis fence to raise it?

My extension table is I tiny bit high (very difficult to adjust), I want to raise my fence so it can't hit it, also dust couldn't collect in the corner and throw off cuts, would this harm anything? what type of plastic should I use? I know they have plastic runners already just want to make them slightly taller maybe 1/16?

glenn bradley
02-25-2015, 1:34 PM
Older Bies used a patch of Formica. Newer Bies use a nylon rectangle. I removed mine and added a felt pad and you could add anything you like. I would just fix the extension as an irregularity here potentially fouls your feed path.

Bruce Page
02-25-2015, 2:00 PM
I would be more inclined to adjust the extension table flush with the top, it's not that difficult. Loosen and re-snug the 3 bolts that attach it to the iron table or wing and using a block of wood and a hammer tap it into place. Re-tighten the bolts and you're done. You shouldn't need to loosen the fence rail bolts.

Yonak Hawkins
02-25-2015, 2:23 PM
I would be more inclined to adjust the extension table flush with the top....

I agree. If a shim isn't exactly flush with the edge of the fence, when cutting thin sheets, for example, they could slide under, and foil the effectiveness of, the fence.

Judson Green
02-25-2015, 2:34 PM
I would be more inclined to adjust the extension table flush with the top, it's not that difficult.

+1 more.

Also raising the fence will make a gap there and that might prove to be something you regret.