PDA

View Full Version : Well, Bench planes have been covered, how about the Block planes?

steven c newman
02-25-2015, 12:30 PM
Someday, I goota thin this herd a bit
Ever need TWO #220?

The better planes of the bunch307820
Still have the box for that Millers Falls#1455. The one in the middle will need a newer, long iron....someday.

So, let's see what ya got....

Chris Hachet
02-25-2015, 12:44 PM
The 9 1/2 I got off of you is never coming back. I love that plane!

Right now, i am doing the Schwartz thing and downsizing my plane and tool collection to jsut the essentials. My shop work is becoming much more efficient.

Jim Koepke
02-25-2015, 1:55 PM
I'm not even sure where all my block planes are at the moment.

One is in the house near the wood stove to make shavings for starting the kindling.

There is a kind of loser of a #110 at the bottom of a junk box.

There are some squirreled away in drawers since they only come out occasionally. Then the half dozen that get used all the time are on their shelves.

Even some of my old images that show most of my planes do not include all the block planes in my current accumulation.

Here are the most used ones in their resting places:

Down in the lower right corner is a #90 Bull Nose Shoulder plane. Hidden just above the router plane is a #102. On the shelf above the LA Jack are from the left a #65, #65-1/2, an LN #60 and two Stanley #60 type planes.

Hidden in the drawers are a #95 that doesn't see as much use as I thought it would when it was purchased. There is a #140 also not one to get a lot of use. Then there may still be a #75 type plane that isn't as useful as the #90. Finally a pair of squirrel tails a Stanley #100-1/2, one that looks like a #100, a few #101s and various look a likes.

If the camera goes out to the shop today maybe some pictures will be taken. A lot on my plate of late trying to get ready for the farmers market only a month away.

jtk

Jeffrey Martel
02-26-2015, 1:23 AM
Craftsman #3732, which is a Stanley #65 made by Stanley for Craftsman.

Kent A Bathurst
02-26-2015, 1:27 AM
Ever need TWO #220?

I dunno - - how many hands do you have?

Jim Koepke
02-26-2015, 3:35 AM
Took some more pictures today:

Planes in a drawer with a sheet of anticorrosion paper.

Plane above the wood stove.

Shoulder plane in its own drawer.

jtk

John Schtrumpf
02-26-2015, 3:38 AM
My left-skew block plane.

Derek Cohen
02-26-2015, 7:12 AM
It may be more courteous if I withdraw from this show-and-tell :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Hachet
02-26-2015, 7:19 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

Oh, no....we never get tired of looking at tools!

Jim Koepke
02-26-2015, 11:42 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

I was thinking of withdrawing when it comes to specialty planes, rabbet planes or moulding planes.

jtk

Winton Applegate
02-26-2015, 12:34 PM
OK, I will throw a log on the fire.
I already had this one in the album. I was demonstrating . . . something or other.
The #1 isn't a block plane but gives some size perspective.
I have a few others : rabbet block, squew block (no big collectors items; they are LNs), japanese blocks including a vertical blade scraper . . . are we including those ?

Chris Hachet
02-26-2015, 12:57 PM
OK, I will throw a log on the fire.
I already had this one in the album. I was demonstrating . . . something or other.
The #1 isn't a block plane but gives some size perspective.
I have a few others : rabbet block, squew block (no big collectors items; they are LNs), Japanese blocks including a vertical blade scraper . . . are we including those ?

I love my rabbit block plane from L-N. It is one of my most used tools.

steven c newman
02-26-2015, 2:12 PM
Winton: Include whatever you wish.

This will be the last of the Show & Tells for now. Been fun, though..

Winton Applegate
02-26-2015, 2:35 PM
Winton: Include whatever you wish.
Oh don't say that you never know what I might post a photo of.

last of the Show & Tells
Don't give up yet !
I bet there are some really interesting router planes out there (not that I have any; just the modern stuff).

Andrew Bangs
02-26-2015, 4:21 PM
Here are a couple: a Record 0220 in fetching red and a similar sized adjustable mouth Stanley. At first I thought the Stanley was a #9 1/2 until I realised that it's an inch too long for that. It's 7 inches long, so maybe it's a #15?

The 0220 just helped me trim the ends of my first ever wedged tenons. Thumping in the wedges was fun, so I'll be doing that again!

ken hatch
02-27-2015, 8:50 AM
I have fewer block planes than any of the other planes. I would guess mostly because I don't use 'em much. The Vertias Skew Block plane on the left gets the most use, followed by the first of the shop made woodies. The second woody is a little big to be a block plane but that is how it is used. The Woodriver LA Block plane set on the shelf for several years because of a bed defect, once I spent some time on it, figured out the problem, and fixed it I've used it more frequently than I thought I would..

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/blockPlanes_zpsffu7hyod.jpg