PDA

View Full Version : can a dust collector run sideways? grizzly 2hp

cody michael
02-24-2015, 3:01 PM
I have a grizzly 2hp dust collector, I am thinking about getting rid of the bags and just venting it outside, does the orientation matter? currently the air intake is horizontal, if I made it vertical would it affect anything?

Dick Brown
02-24-2015, 5:45 PM
I built a cyclone and mounted a Jet d.c. vertical on it. Can't speak for Grizz but the Jet works fine. Call Grizz C.S. and ask them. Only issue I could see would be if it had the wrong type of bearings that wouldn't take the end thrust that vertical would cause.

William C Rogers
02-24-2015, 7:13 PM
I built a cyclone and mounted a Jet d.c. vertical on it. Can't speak for Grizz but the Jet works fine. Call Grizz C.S. and ask them. Only issue I could see would be if it had the wrong type of bearings that wouldn't take the end thrust that vertical would cause.

Dick, what Jet, 3hp? I have the older Jet and was thinking of vertical, but wondered about the bearings.

James Brown
02-24-2015, 8:34 PM
I did the same thing as Dick (no relation that I know of) with a Grizzly 2 hp with no ill effects to date. Runs a lot on weekends. I hope this helps.

Jim Brown
Berwick, Pa

Robert Delhommer Sr
02-24-2015, 9:05 PM
A lot of people have flipped the HF 2Hp DC and I have not heard any complaints.

Wade Lippman
02-24-2015, 10:03 PM
I'm not saying it matters because I have no idea if it does; but it could. The bearing are designed to have the impellor pulling down. If you change the orientation the bearing have torque on them. Like you can't push sideways on a DP because the bearings aren't designed for it.
Obviously people have done it without failure (yet) but I wouldn't.

Brian W Smith
02-25-2015, 8:09 AM
I've done it,but realize that bearings in these "price point" machines are really bad,irrespective of their intended orientation.........So,we've always just,run'm till they squeal and then replace with something other than third world parts.

cody michael
02-25-2015, 1:33 PM
ok, thanks I will have to see how well it will work, it would sure save space.