PDA

View Full Version : Plumbers

Phil Thien
02-24-2015, 1:50 PM
I'm so glad I hired one to replace this shower faucet.

Even he he has scratched his head a few times.

I would have stood no chance.

Thank God for plumbers.

Wes Mitchell
02-24-2015, 2:23 PM
We've had good luck with the plumber we use. A friend of mine had the wax ring go out on his toilet a few months ago. The plumber that came to his house (granted it was a Sunday evening) quoted almost $600 to replace it :eek:. I had one laying around from when I changed out mine, so we fixed it for about $2.

Chris Padilla
02-24-2015, 3:11 PM
I don't have much good to say regarding plumbers so thankfully I can handle most of my plumbing issues.

I'm wondering what was so mysterious about your shower 'faucet'?

Brian Elfert
02-24-2015, 3:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out the best way to find a plumber for my upcoming drain pipe replacement project. I have to tear up the basement floor to replace all of the cast iron pipes underneath. I will tear out the concrete and all that, but I will not replace the pipes myself. I need someone with experience to make sure everything is sloped properly and the right kinds of fittings are used.

George Bokros
02-24-2015, 4:14 PM
Might be a good idea to join Angie's List to find a reliable plumber. I have Angies list for several projects and have found well qualified professionals. Other than that personal referral from friends or neighbors.

Phil Thien
02-24-2015, 4:17 PM
I don't have much good to say regarding plumbers so thankfully I can handle most of my plumbing issues.

I'm wondering what was so mysterious about your shower 'faucet'?

Now that I've seen it done, nothing! :)

Although I don't think it would have been as easy for me to get the new valve into the spot where the old one sat.

Mike Lassiter
02-24-2015, 4:22 PM
We've had good luck with the plumber we use. A friend of mine had the wax ring go out on his toilet a few months ago. The plumber that came to his house (granted it was a Sunday evening) quoted almost $600 to replace it :eek:. I had one laying around from when I changed out mine, so we fixed it for about $2.

Wow! There's a guy that thinks his time is worth a lot. Unless the bolts where rusted and corroded and hard to get the nuts off - I'd say and easy hour to hour and a half job depending on situation. That's a extremely well paid Sunday service call even if you considered it double time rate.

Phil Thien
02-24-2015, 4:36 PM
Wow! There's a guy that thinks his time is worth a lot. Unless the bolts where rusted and corroded and hard to get the nuts off - I'd say and easy hour to hour and a half job depending on situation. That's a extremely well paid Sunday service call even if you considered it double time rate.

I can install a toilet, I've done several.

My challenge in this shower faucet was that the guy that owned the house previously was a stone guy, and LOVED marble.

So everything is marble.

The marble in the shower is very thick, and it is bedded in screen lath. So the walls are just real thick. And the hole in the marble was exactly the same size as the old valve, no larger.

Then down in the basement, a lot of the galvanized fittings were rotting. Some had been repaired. And in repairing some of it, they did some pretty crazy stuff (probably because they were using materials on-hand).

So it is just nice to have a guy that says "well, it goes to heck right here," uses a saw to cut out the bad, and rebuilds it more simply with copper.

I think I could have done the same job, but would have spent a lot more time getting the new valve installed. I likely would have done the same thing with the galvanized but again, instead of taking 3.5 hours start to finish, it would have just taken me quite a bit longer.

Jerome Stanek
02-24-2015, 6:03 PM
ask some family and friends to recommend one.