PDA

View Full Version : NIP treatment

David Reed
02-24-2015, 12:51 AM
Has anyone used the Norfolk Island Pine treatment to induce translucency on other woods with similar results? Specifically, I have plenty of BLM.
thanks

Reed Gray
02-24-2015, 1:05 AM
I think some of the lighter woods will get translucent if you can get them thin enough, but I think the Norfolk Island pine is special. I am guessing that you are doing the soaking in a vat of Danish type oil... I think the Monkey Puzzle tree will do it some what as well. Some can be translucent when wet, but not when dry. Give it a shot, you never know...

robo hippy

Doug Herzberg
02-24-2015, 9:17 AM
Aspen and some other pines will become translucent when turned thin. Haven't experienced that with maple, but I haven't tried for it.

David Reed
02-24-2015, 1:27 PM
Guess I'll just have to give it ago and report in on what happens.
thanks

Wes Ramsey
02-24-2015, 4:44 PM
Guess I'll just have to give it ago and report in on what happens.
thanks

Please do! I've been thinking about turning some hanging light shrouds to replace the ones over my Mom's kitchen counter. They are made of colored glass, but look similar to some of the translucent NIP forms I've seen. I think they would be gorgeous, but I don't have access to much soft wood around here. I haven't read about any other woods that turn translucent with DO so I'd love to hear about your results before I order any wood.