PDA

View Full Version : Curly Cherry Hall Table

Daniel Rode
02-23-2015, 9:46 PM
I don't think to take many pictures or document my work well but this is the most Neander build I've attempted thus far. I used power tools for rough dimensioning and to cut the leg tapers. Pretty much everything else was done by hand. Chisel, saw and plane. Roughing the tenons is only powered joinery task. I used the table saw and dado blade. I get close to my knife lines and clean the shoulder up with a chisel and the tenon faces with my router plane.

My Record 043 Plow arrived just in time to do the drawer bottom grooves :) I made a larger fence and got the iron razor sharp and made a couple of practice grooves. I still need some practice, but the grooves look perfect from the top and even decent on the bottom. It's a easy tool to use. The nice thing about match work with hand tools is I don't care if it's 1/4" dead on. I planed the panel to fit the groove and all's good.

It's a Shaker inspired table designed to fit an awkward area in my front hall. I had to play with the proportions until I got something that fit the space but still felt balanced. I settled on 10" x 16" x 27 5/8".

The constant hand sawing is paying off. The dovetails fit tight right off the saw (a first for me). Spongey pine sides let me leave slightly tight, insuring a snug gapless fit. It's actually too nice for a drawer that will never be used. I was going to make a false drawer but what's the fun in that? After all the careful work on the drawer front and sides, I figured I'd bang out the drawer back like a walk in the park. And I did. Took 5 minutes for the tails and about 10 more to do the pins. They fit perfect right off. I didn't notice until glue-up that I put the tails on the back :rolleyes:. Of all the mistakes I've made and all the mistakes to come, this one I won't lose any sleep over.

The curly cherry is a challenge to work as the grain reverses every 2". What worked for me was a sharp iron set finely to take the thinnest possible shavings combined with a closely set chip breaker and a tight mouth. If I can get another day above 0 degrees this week, I can maybe get the top done and do the final prep for finishing.

Robert Norman
02-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Very nice table! When I get a tool dialed in like that plow plane of yours I can happily spend an afternoon ruining 2x4 scraps with moldings and grooves and rabbets. Post more when the top is on. And dirty that shop up some in the next pics so us mortals feel better about ourselves.

Kudos again though, you made a beautiful table!

Daniel Rode
02-23-2015, 11:11 PM
I appreciate the feedback. My benchtop is only clear because I just finished putting everything away. It's a small bench , so I'm forced to constantly cleanup so I have room to work. My next bench will be about the same width, but 2 feet longer.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2015, 11:57 PM
The drawer front looks like it is really going to shine.

Hope to see more pictures.

jtk

Stew Denton
02-24-2015, 12:21 AM
Dan,

The cherry looks like it is going to finish up spectacularly. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the legs have just a hint of a very graceful curve.

Very nicely done. Wish I could do 1/4th as well.

Stew

Brian Holcombe
02-24-2015, 12:26 AM
Very nice table Daniel. As always the work you put out is gorgeous.

I have a couple of inputs from personal experience, I hope they are not out of line;

I built a desk with 28" tall legs in 8/4 walnut, all the legs with straight grain remained straight, the one with interlocking grain moved slightly....adding a bit of unwanted character, which brings about my question; do you have a stretcher in the plans for this table?

Winton Applegate
02-24-2015, 1:28 AM
OH !
Really nice!
As it is it looks kind of ethereal.
With finish on it . . . MAN . . . what a nice piece of furniture.

Pat Barry
02-24-2015, 8:02 AM
Nice work and nice wood selection! I like the way you wrapped / matched the grain around the aprons and drawers.

Daniel Rode
02-24-2015, 8:45 AM
I don't intend to use stretcher. IMO, It would be out of character for the style.

I tried as much as possible to choose the leg stock carefully, starting at the mill. All 4 legs are from the same piece and all have a grain at 45 degrees to the faces. I gave them lots of time to acclimate and and move. I dimensioned them in about 4 steps with time in between so that the wood tension could reach equilibrium before re-flattening and shaping. That's the best I know to do. I *think* they are stable but time will tell. In my rather limited experience, these steps have lead to wood that moves evenly through the seasons.

Very nice table Daniel. As always the work you put out is gorgeous.

I have a couple of inputs from personal experience, I hope they are not out of line;

I built a desk with 28" tall legs in 4/4 walnut, all the legs with straight grain remained straight, the one with interlocking grain moved slightly....adding a bit of unwanted character, which brings about my question; do you have a stretcher in the plans for this table?

Daniel Rode
02-24-2015, 8:55 AM
Thanks Pat. Funny story with that. The grain is a 4 side match. I was really fortunate to find stock that made it fairly easy. However, when I began to take the drawer front down to thickness, 3 ugly inclusion spots materialized making it unusable. It had been a perfect match for the sides and the drawer rails, so I was unhappy. Luckily, I'd milled up a couple of spare blanks. The drawer front in the picture is one of the spares. It's a really good match, but not the perfect match I originally planned.

Nice work and nice wood selection! I like the way you wrapped / matched the grain around the aprons and drawers.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-24-2015, 9:02 AM
Very well done! Here is a pic of one that came with the house we bought. It appears old. The drawer bottom is made like a raised panel. 307754

Prashun Patel
02-24-2015, 9:02 AM
Beautiful so far. Nice wood. Can't wait to see it finished. I like Shaker design. It's so efficient and elegant.

Brian Holcombe
02-24-2015, 9:19 AM
I don't intend to use stretcher. IMO, It would be out of character for the style.

I tried as much as possible to choose the leg stock carefully, starting at the mill. All 4 legs are from the same piece and all have a grain at 45 degrees to the faces. I gave them lots of time to acclimate and and move. I dimensioned them in about 4 steps with time in between so that the wood tension could reach equilibrium before re-flattening and shaping. That's the best I know to do. I *think* they are stable but time will tell. In my rather limited experience, these steps have lead to wood that moves evenly through the seasons.

Edited my post to show '8/4 walnut'.

That prep work sounds pretty good. It sounds like your experience pretty much matches my own when moving from full-machine prep to full hand prep. The sawing is not so critical, but flattening by hand has led to more stability over time.