PDA

View Full Version : Handworks 2015 or Woodworking in America??

John Sanford
02-23-2015, 6:48 PM
I am attempting to plan my summerish excursions for the upcoming season, and both of these are on the docket. It is unlikely I will be able to go to both. They are about the same distance from me. The cost differential of the events themselves is essentially meaningless, as I will be spending far more on travel and with the vendors. I have not been to either one, and so would like some input as to:

Which you would attend if you could only attend one, and why?

Rich Riddle
02-23-2015, 6:52 PM
I attended Woodworking in America for two years and would not do so again. The classes seemed geared to either those just into woodworking or those highly advanced.

Ralph Boumenot
02-24-2015, 5:57 AM
I went to the first Handworks and I'm going to this one. Handworks is like WIA - both are geared to selling tools. Handworks will be in barns and WIA is usually in a convention center of some kind. Ambience is the only difference in my mind.

Jim Matthews
02-24-2015, 7:06 AM
WIA in America was very expensive.

Few of the courses were geared to methods I employ,
with tools I can afford. I paid to visit the vendor
section and had an excellent day,
talking to the makers and visiting some of the 'Big Dogs'
who were there displaying their wares.

Brian Boggs and Phil Lowe were in attendance.

Check the course offerings, first.
Understand that it's mostly a lecture.
Getting hands on instruction is unlikely.

Mark Stutz
02-24-2015, 9:07 AM
I went to the first WIA in Berea, and enjoyed it. Haven't been doing much for the last 6 years, so had to Google Handworks. If I could I'd go to this just to be able to see the Studley Tool Chest in person.

Ellen Benkin
02-24-2015, 8:55 PM
Why don't you take a legitimate class at one of the many woodworking schools?

Kevin Womer
02-24-2015, 9:12 PM
+1
I attended a class at Kelly Mehler's school in Berea KY, it was on hand cut dovetails. A couple of days long, maybe 12 of us or so, we each had a bench and learned some techniques. You had to bring your own tools, could buy a few he recommends if you wanted and could use some sharpening equipment if needed to touch up your chisels. Very enjoyable, some great guys attended with similar interests in woodworking. Not too pricey, but we really didn't walk away with our own chest or workbenches either just some confidence in dovetailing.

John Sanford
02-25-2015, 9:45 PM
Why don't you take a legitimate class at one of the many woodworking schools?

Partially because of timing, and partially because, aside from industrial arts oriented community colleges (with timing issues), the nearest woodworking school is over 400 miles away. ALL of the well known woodworking schools are effectively as far away or farther than Handworks/WIA this time around. Because I have an irrational aversion to flying places (note: I don't have an aversion to flying, I'd just much, much rather ride, which is also less expensive), the amount of time necessary to get to/from many of these schools is actually longer than the class. Not being retired, I don't really have that much time free.

Handworks/WIA have the advantage of concentration. And scads of like minded individuals.