PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Woodworking, Tools, Etc.

Rich Riddle
02-23-2015, 6:27 PM
Someone asked the price of woodworking tools, supplies, etc. in relation to the stuff I build. Never really pondered it but always thought my quality was better for less money that contractors. So how much do you folks have tied up in woodworking equipment, tools, etc.?

Jim Matthews
02-23-2015, 6:36 PM
I went the Neanderthal route, to save on up front expenses.
Fully outfitted, with my lifetime supply of local Black cherry
and a MM20, $4200 for everything in my shop.

That includes power tools that fit in drawers,
handplanes, chisels, benches - the whole of it.

Could I make a living with this set up?
Not a chance.

Can I make furniture as good as the stuff I can't afford?
Pretty close, I'm getting there.

Jesse Busenitz
02-23-2015, 6:37 PM
I'm working on my insurance, so just went through all my tools and figured it out close to 30K. No CNC or new european tools.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2015, 6:37 PM
Since this is a public forum my wife might see, I am hesitant to answer this question. But......I have a standalone 30' X 24' woodworking shop..well insulated.....finished walls with plywood....it's own 200 amp service.....it's own Lennox gas heat....it's not air conditioned....yet.... then we start talking about tools.........Oneida 3 HP DC, MM-16 bandsaw, 2 Jet air filtration systems....General International mortiser, Ridgid hybrid table saw, PM-3520B lathe.....Excaliber 21" scroll saw......Jet drill press.....Grizzly G0490X jointer.......Delta scms....

I could buy cheaper than what it costs me to build it but..... it's what I do to have fun.

The nice thing is unlike a boat, I don't have license it every year .....:D

Rich Riddle
02-23-2015, 6:42 PM
Since this is a public forum my wife might see, I am hesitant to answer this question. But......I have a standalone woodworking shop..well insulated.....finished walls with plywood....it's own 200 amp service.....it's own Lennox gas heat....it's not air conditioned....yet.... then we start talking about tools.........

The nice thing is unlike a boat, I don't have license it every year .....:DKen, I pondered asking how much we thought our friend's shop cost just for the reason you mentioned.

Rich Riddle
02-23-2015, 6:43 PM
I went the Neanderthal route, to save on up front expenses.

Wow, there are going to be some Neanders laughing themselves into next month with that comment.

glenn bradley
02-23-2015, 6:54 PM
I've yet to spend anywhere near what I spent on golf over the same period of time :D:D:D.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2015, 6:54 PM
In my defense Rich, I had an empty shell built for the shop. Nearly 11 years ago, the empty shell cost me $16,000 so about $22.20 a square foot. It's 2x6 construction with 9' ceilings. I did the insulation, electrical and finish carpentry myself to keep the costs down. My wife is older than I and could have retired but had me build the shop. We financed the empty shell and she continued to work to pay for it. The rest I did cash as I went.

There are some things in life that are just pure luck! Being prepared to take advantage of those opportunities is key. Once I got within 3 years of retiring, my wife suggested I take out a loan against my 401K and buy the larger tools. I paid myself back with interest. Yes I know it was after tax dollars but.... So I bought the more expensive tools and....

Now the luck part. We made the last payment on that 401K loan and a couple months later I awoke deaf and had to retire. Whew! Talk about luck!

Seriously.....I hate to think how much I have wrapped up in it but I enjoy doing it. So........

Bill Space
02-23-2015, 7:01 PM
My home shop is a combination woodworking and metalworking shop.

A quick mental tally of the value of the tools on the used market comes to about $15K. The replacement value would be MUCH higher. I too am in the process of documenting things just in case a disaster would happen.

My guess is at this point about half of my tools actual out of pocket value is in woodworking tools. The replacement value would favor the metal working tools by a factor of three I bet, or maybe more.

Judson Green
02-23-2015, 7:06 PM
I was formerly a mostly electronic woodworker and trying to make a living of it - cost a lot. Now I'm a mostly neanderthal hobbyist and cost is very little.

I'd say the everything (shop space, tools, training, time, vehicle, utility bills, equipment, excetera) needed to get to the final piece is huge, but doubt many of us would have any other way.

Keith Pleas
02-23-2015, 7:12 PM
The nice thing is unlike a boat, I don't have license it every year .....:D
I have to license my 44' boat. And my dinghy. And the trailer for the dinghy.

I also have to provide (annually) proof of insurance for my boat. And dinghy.

Then there's the FCC ship license and my operator license (OK, that one doesn't expire).

I also have to keep up my USCG 100T Masters License.

Now if I actually want to leave the dock...head to Canada, then that means my Nexus pass has to be up to date. Which requires a passport.

...it just goes on and on and on and everyone's got their hand out.

jack duren
02-23-2015, 7:23 PM
Someone asked the price of woodworking tools, supplies, etc. in relation to the stuff I build. Never really pondered it but always thought my quality was better for less money that contractors. So how much do you folks have tied up in woodworking equipment, tools, etc.?

Enough to make a living at it. I would have to go back and check taxes for 30 yrs to even have a clue;)

Cary Falk
02-23-2015, 7:49 PM
I have a garage full of large tools but I have spent way less than my wife has spent on horses.

Rich Riddle
02-23-2015, 7:54 PM
Waiting to see if Dave Kumm or Rod Sheridan offer a figure....Dave's band saw budget likely exceeds most of our total shop budgets.

Jim Finn
02-23-2015, 8:06 PM
I keep records of what I have spent on my woodworking hobby since 2000. I now have equipment that cost me $9,949 That would take $13,407 to replace today. I earn at least that much every year form my wood working "hobby". I have found a way for others to fund my hobby.

Mike Cutler
02-23-2015, 8:09 PM
I'm probably in for about $20K in tools since the early 90's. The only tools I have that fit the extravagant bill would be the Lie-Nielsen planes and the Festool stuff I have. It's still a pretty modest investment with those.( I have more $$$$ hanging from the water pipes in the basement, in the form of bicycles, than I've spent on woodworking machines.
As for wood though, I do have a good amount of wood, and that's by choice. I'd rather have the raw material, ready to go, than have to source it when I need it. (I probably don't need anywhere near as much Cocobolo as I have.:eek:)

If I ever finish my kitchen, it along with the two baths, and library project, will have more than paid for what I have in tools and materials had I paid someone to do it. I also like the flexibility to adapt to a project in the middle and if necessary go in a different direction. Something that would be costly, and aggravating for them, if someone else did the work.

Everything is relative though.

Rich Riddle
02-23-2015, 8:18 PM
I keep records of what I have spent on my woodworking hobby since 2000. I now have equipment that cost me $9,949 That would take $13,407 to replace today. I earn at least that much every year form my wood working "hobby". I have found a way for others to fund my hobby.

That's a good thing to have a method for others to pay for equipment. Most of us don't have exact totals like you. You keep good records.

Jim Andrew
02-23-2015, 10:54 PM
My woodworking hobby has cost me about 30k in machines. I saw my own trees, buy ply on sales, and almost every machine I have has been bought on sale or some promotion. I justify my shop to myself by driving a junky old ranger pickup truck. And that does not include the skidsteer. But I use it for other things than just sawing lumber.

Julie Moriarty
02-23-2015, 11:14 PM
$20K-$30K, maybe more, especially if we're looking at buying the same today. The tools of my trade - electrician - cost me a fraction of that, even when you figure in the tools I've fried, worn out, lost or had stolen.

Marty Tippin
02-23-2015, 11:32 PM
There's about a 5x difference between my tools and my skill level. But at least I've got lots of shiny things to play with, even if I don't produce anything that makes it beyond the door of my shop...

eugene thomas
02-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Boy the dollars sure add up. Think with the cnc just purchase pushed me over 100k.

Rick Potter
02-24-2015, 3:38 AM
When we moved into this house 8 years ago, I made a deal with my wife. We build my shop first, then I would do whatever she wanted to the house. So, we built my 1600' shop, which is built to house standards, stucco, drywall, Low E, porches, and it cost way more than I want to admit.

Then we started adding on and remodeling the house. Eight years and counting. She got the best of the deal. We could afford to do this because we sold our previous home for enough to redo this one, which was paid off. Of course that is before a contractor ripped us off for $150K, and ended up in jail. Then we had to go much more into debt to finish the job, but we may get it paid off if we live to 98.

Most of the tools were in my previous shop, and many added later, and she knows about every nickel, since she is an accounting major. I have most major tools of decent quality, with multiples of quite a few. Some new, many used.

I can give you one figure I know for sure...when in the old house, I built the kitchen and saved more than enough to buy my $1600 Unisaw over 15 years ago.

Jim Matthews
02-24-2015, 7:02 AM
I have a garage full of large tools but I have spent way less than my wife has spent on horses.

Horses are a moving hole into which you throw money.
On occasion, they provide something in exchage.

John A langley
02-24-2015, 8:45 AM
Rich I like to say I'm semi retired bought most of my equipment when I was working full-time,not looking into my records I can't tell you exactly how much I have in equipment what amazes me is how much we have tied up small tools and accessories drills ,router ,clamps, saw blades ,airgun ,Sanders.

Rod Sheridan
02-24-2015, 9:08 AM
Waiting to see if Dave Kumm or Rod Sheridan offer a figure....Dave's band saw budget likely exceeds most of our total shop budgets.

Rich, my shop costs will be fairly low because I'm using my basement as a shop.

I think this looks like my shop costs

- saw/shaper with a stack of options $13,000

- jointer/planer with options $6,000

- accessories for above machines $2,000

- cutters for shaper $2,000

- circular saw blades $1,500

- stock feeder $1,000

- Hand tools $4,000

- dust extraction $4,000

- bandsaw $3,000

- Drill Press $1,000

- shop storage/electrical/lighting $2,000

- lathe $1,000

- lathe accessories $1,500

- portable power tools $2,500

- Consumables/abrasives etc $1,500

- sawmill $500

- stock lumber $3,000

So unless I've made an arithmetical error it looks like my present shop configuration is aproximately $46K.

I've made more furniture than that so it's still a free hobby although I don't ever worry about hobby costs.

I have two fixed money allocations in my personal budget, I put 10% of my gross into an RRSP every year and set aside 10% of my gross for hobbies and vacations.

Since my other hobby is motorcycling ( we both own bikes) vacation often includes our hobby. Averaged over 35 years I haven't spent all of my hobby/vacation budget.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. The above figures are in Canadian currency, which at our present rate of exchange is $1,132.67 US:eek:

Rod Sheridan
02-24-2015, 9:14 AM
$20K-$30K, maybe more, especially if we're looking at buying the same today. The tools of my trade - electrician - cost me a fraction of that, even when you figure in the tools I've fried, worn out, lost or had stolen.

Obviously your company pays for everything except your hand tools.

Once you start adding hydraulic benders, tuggers, saws, wire pulling accessories, test equipment you would be well over $30K for your job.........Rod.

Bruce Mack
02-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Several (many) thousands. LN small and adjustable mouth block planes, an edge plane, 2 shoulder planes, small router plane, 4 1/2 smoother. LV small smoother, block plane, spokeshave, burnisher, 2 honing guides, metal plates for diamond honing. Kell honing guide, 4 Shapton stones, 2 EzeLap, 2 Spyderco. Two LV saws, one Bad Axe sash saw, many Japanese dozukis, ryobas, katabas, many inexpensive panel saws incl. Sears when they still sold them, 2 one dollar panel saws sent to Matt for expert sharpening. Auriou and Nicholson and Japanese rasps. On the tailed side, a Ridgid table saw, Ridgid jointer and planer, a few electric drills, Delta bandsaw and drill press, 2 routers and one homemade router table, a disc sander, 3 belt sanders, 2 random orbits and a whole s***load of things I have forgotten. Has this paid for itself? No. Have I had fun? You betcha.

Brian Henderson
02-24-2015, 10:46 AM
And that's really all that matters. I couldn't care less how much money I've put into my shop and tools. I will never make a dime off of it, I do it as a hobby and I get paid back in enjoyment. I can easily afford what I put into it, so long as I have fun, it's worth every penny.

Jim Dwight
02-24-2015, 10:49 AM
I don't know or care how much I've spent on woodworking tools. I don't have any high end equipment. Ryobi BT3100 table saw, for instance. I have a DeWalt track saw (not Festool), Ryobi AP 10 planner, Jet benchtop mortiser, INCA jointer. I'm sure with all the hand tools it's several thousand dollars over 30+ years. My inexpensive tools have built one kitchen, so far, other cabinets for bathrooms and other rooms, and half a dozen bedroom sets plus other furniture. The difference between what I would have spent on these things and what I spent for materials more than pays for all my equipment. That is how I justified buying most of it. If I needed a tool to do something that needed done, I bought the tool. At this point I could buy more expensive tools but I'm used to my tools and don't plan any big changes.

Mike Ontko
02-24-2015, 10:56 AM

Ditto!! In addition to a horse and all of the dressage ecoutrements, my mrs is also a concert violist. The cost of her bow alone is worth more than my jointer, tablesaw, dust collection, and soon-to-be bandsaw.

I would rather allocate our funds to these types of things than to overpriced automobiles, jewelry, general consumer electronics, etc.

Andrew Joiner
02-24-2015, 11:38 AM
For the tools and machines that I own now I paid about $4,000. Worth about $2,000 if I had to sell them. Replacement cost for comparable equipment $8,000.
Replacement cost for benches, jigs and fixtures $2,000.
Replacement cost for my lumber collection $ 3,000.
Vises cost $300.
Paid a lot for vices in the past, but haven't done that for years.:)

John A langley
02-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Good one Andrew

Martin Wasner
02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm pushing $200k in replacement value. I'm not sure what I've actually got into it. The bulk of my equipment I bought new, but when the sky was falling around 2008 I bought a lot of equipment for 10% of new.

Larry Edgerton
02-24-2015, 12:30 PM
$143.76 last time I added it up.

Chris Merriam
02-24-2015, 1:02 PM
I've got a full basement shop with all the usual power tools and a small collection of hand tools. My big purchases are an Oneida DC, Sawstop, MM16, MM FS30, and a medium-size Festool collection. I'm probably at $20-25k. Wow, I've never added it up before, that's kind of depressing!

Lornie McCullough
02-24-2015, 1:09 PM
Whenever I have a little money, I buy tools. If there is any left, I buy food or clothes.

I am misquoting Erasmus, of course, but I could properly say the same thing about books.

I have a small fortune in tools, but it would take a large fortune to replace them.

Lornie

Cary Falk
02-24-2015, 1:17 PM
If all the high rollers here are not in the business then I have some serious catching up to do. I'm ok with that.:D

Pat Barry
02-24-2015, 1:40 PM
I have no idea. A 24 x14 attached garage addition plumbed for a heated slab, the usual suspects for equipment new / some used. Hand tools though, thats a whole other and countless story. I did try to lay everything out years ago and take pictures for insurance purposes and gave up. Maybe someday I'll do that again, this time with a video camera. I'm just guessing its $15 to 25K total.

Kent A Bathurst
02-24-2015, 2:16 PM
I can tell you this much:

Big machines - Uni, 8" PM jointer, 15" Delta planer, BS, Old-arn PM DP, CMS, DC, PM 719 HCM. Add up the original costs.

Whatever that total is, it is definitely less than the total of these:

handplanes [too many]
sharpening tools and supplies [too many]
hand saws
TS blades [one big darn lot of these] and ZCI for different dado widths
TS tenon jig & miter gauge
Jpn & western bench chisels, mortise chisels, chisel hammers & mallets
rasps [some Aurious in the rack] and floats
clamps [the list goes on forever]
shop vac & compressor
hand-held power tools [ROS, router x 3, jigsaw, circ saw, 3 x batt drills/impact, belt sander]
ROS disc inventory
twist drill bits, brad point x 2, forstner x 2, countersink bits x 2, plug cutters, etc.
marking & layout [Starrett has a big presence]
finishing supplies & brushes
reference library
lumber [single biggest # out of this list - by far :eek:]
Lord only knows what else is in the drawers if I were to open them and look

So - when the routine threads are started about guys wanting to tool up a shop, or outlining their budgets for machines, etc., I kinda chuckle, and think "Dude. You don't know the half of it. Literally - not half of it." :p :p

And sit back and watch another innocent disappear down our rabbit hole. :D

Peter Quinn
02-24-2015, 2:31 PM
I sat down and figured this out once....stopped counting around $40k. Soup to nuts, major equipment to bits and extension chords...it's more than I care to consider and I don't even have shiny new stuff. On a lifetime basis it's pretty cheap per year though, right around one year at a good friends country club. Glad I don't play golf.

Earl McLain
02-24-2015, 2:52 PM
I'm a hobbyist. As was mentioned by someone else, i've spent less on tools than i did on golf when i played, and well under what i have in guitars. That said, i've probably spent more on tools than i should have, yet since most were used but of good quality--replacement cost would probably be 2 to 2.5 times what i paid if i had to buy them new. I've begun to sell a few "spares" and some trade-up items--none for less than what i paid in the past few years (not any real big gains--but near break even).

Compared to the satisfaction (often found in overcoming mistakes!), the cost has been minimal. And SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) pretty much always knows where to find me!!

earl

Jeffrey Martel
02-24-2015, 5:06 PM
I'd have to say that I'm easily under $4000, all in. I'd need to sit down and determine everything to be sure, but I can't see it being more than that. Plus, I've sold some things on the side enough to cover all of my tools, and sometimes covers wood and veneer for personal projects. So, it's been a fairly money-neutral hobby for me. Course, I'm also not doing this as a living, so your mileage may vary.

Will Boulware
02-24-2015, 6:02 PM
I have more $$$$ hanging from the water pipes in the basement, in the form of bicycles, than I've spent on woodworking machines.

Glad I'm not the only one. :D

Couple of used machines, couple of new ones, box full of hand tools, big stack of lumber... I'm probably hovering around $5000 if I'm honest with myself. Take off a zero if certain people are asking...

John Sanford
02-24-2015, 6:45 PM

It seems to me that, on the individual level, after drywalling, electrician is probably the least expensive of the trades to equip, unless you want to count carpet installation. Mind you, it's not not INEXPENSIVE, just less expensive than carpenter, possibly roofer and mason. I'm thinking trim carpenter and plumber, in this day and age, are likely the most expensive. Of course, any of them can be expensive, especially when one is an independent tradesman who supplies ALL their own tools. The mechanical guys though, they can get deep into the dollars quick.

John Sanford
02-24-2015, 7:13 PM
hmmmm.... rough costs based on memory.

Delta Contractor's Saw - $400 new.
Near total Pimping Upgrades to CS (Incra Fence, Uniguard, Easy-Off, Router table, Mobile base, PALS, powerlink belt and machined pulleys. ) - $900+ new
Powermatic Jointer - $400 used
Jet DP - $350 new
Delta 14" Bandsaw w/ Kreg fence upgrade - $250 new
Jet Mini-Lathe - Free, friend bought it.
Griggio 24" Bandsaw, Vega Lathe & RPC - $1,800 - used
MiniMax FS30 J/P - $1,200 - used
Delta Lunchbox Planer - $300 - new
Rigid Belt/Spindle Sander - $300 - new
Rigid Shopvac - $80 - new
Delta Dust collector - $250 - new
Jet Air Filtration Unit - $250 - new

All told, that's about $6,500 for "stationary" machines and "permanent" accessories. I've probably got another $3,500 in corded power tools, air tools, and machine/safety accessories.

Then comes the neander tools, most of which have been purchased new. Between the hand planes, chisels, handsaws, measuring tools, marking tools, sharpening stuff, whackers, and assorted shiny gewgaws, I'd venture that I likely have between $4k and $5k.

Add another $1k - $1.5k for consumable accessories to the power tools (blades, bits, sandpaper, etc), and it looks like I'm probably in about $16k. Plus the cost of wood and project bits currently in inventory.

I will shortly be pushing the total to $20k as a new saw is on the purchase list come March or April.

None of this counts the consumables that have already been consumed, nor the tools no longer in my possession due to theft, sale, loss, failure, wearing out, or disposal.

The equivalent monetary value of what has come out of my shop thus far is probably about 1/2 what I've spent. Hopefully that will change soon as I the output to input ratio shifts to favor output. The serious wishlist for the shop is fairly short now, with the big ticket items being a new saw and an Oneida cyclone.

Larry Fox
02-25-2015, 9:17 AM
I am a hobby guy operating out of a 3-car garage (or car-hole as one of my friends likes to call them) with a fairly well appointed shop with a mix of new / used gear. Some quick mental adding has me somewhere in the $20K range.

Dan Hintz
02-25-2015, 10:00 AM
I'm somewhere in the 6-figure range... and the list of associated "hobbies" keep growing.

mreza Salav
02-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Once I sat down to do counting of major things (not all those little tid bits you buy from LV or other places that are in the drawers).
I stopped when I passed $50k mark and that was long time ago. On the bright side my shop has paid for itself at least 4 folds in the new house projects I have done over the last 2 years.

Lee Reep
02-25-2015, 12:26 PM
I've never really added up what I have spent, but it has been spread out over nearly 40 years, with the bulk of purchasing in the last 10-15 years. But I never looked at it from the standpoint of "Can I save money if I make it myself?". It is a hobby, an escape for me. I don't smoke, drink very little, and most importantly, gave up golf MANY years ago since I was so horrible at it! That alone can probably justify the expense of the woodworking expenditures, and maybe more. :)

Earl McLain
02-25-2015, 2:37 PM
Once I sat down to do counting of major things (not all those little tid bits you buy from LV or other places that are in the drawers).
I stopped when I passed $50k mark and that was long time ago. On the bright side my shop has paid for itself at least 4 folds in the new house projects I have done over the last 2 years.

I love your attitude Mreza. I've ordered some of those little tid bits from LV (and Woodpeckers, Incra, Whiteside, etc)--doesn't take many of those orders to get a comma in the TBT (Tid Bit Total)!!

earl

Wakahisa Shinta
02-25-2015, 2:49 PM
On the bright side my shop has paid for itself at least 4 folds in the new house projects I have done over the last 2 years.

I tried to calculate these numbers for this woodworking hobby for myself, but don't know where to reference regarding prices. For instance, I am in the process of building built-in bookcases for our home. It's a few moderate to large-scale projects, at least for me anyhow. I just don't have any idea how much a professional carpenter charge for it. My wife says buy all the tools I want because I am saving us money otherwise spent on commissioning professional contractors. So, how does one estimate?

mreza Salav
02-25-2015, 2:55 PM
I tried to calculate these numbers for this woodworking hobby for myself, but don't know where to reference regarding prices. For instance, I am in the process of building built-in bookcases for our home. It's a few moderate to large-scale projects, at least for me anyhow. I just don't have any idea how much a professional carpenter charge for it. My wife says buy all the tools I want because I am saving us money otherwise spent on commissioning professional contractors. So, how does one estimate?

I got quotes for pretty much every job I did in the house myself (building interior doors, entry door unit, architectural work, cabinets, staining, etc) and compared to the cost of doing it myself (not factoring in my time/labour).

Rich Riddle
02-26-2015, 6:41 AM

Those tid bits you buy from Lee valley quickly add up to real money, especially if you discuss planes.

mreza Salav
02-26-2015, 9:30 AM
Those tid bits you buy from Lee valley quickly add up to real money, especially if you discuss planes.

I know. I have 5, no wait, 7 of those planes....I didn't have that many when I tried to count the total.

John A langley
02-26-2015, 10:09 AM
The cost of the tools will equipment is scary I have one drawer full of freeborn shaper cutters I would guess well over $3000 to replace

Von Bickley
02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Who's counting. Everything that you enjoy in life will cost.

Jim Dwight
02-26-2015, 12:41 PM
For an estimate of avoided expense of purchasing furniture, I usually assume about 4X the material cost. I've tried doing a more detailed comparison a couple times and that seems like a reasonable rule-of-thumb. Obviously if the piece is intricate and/or the materials are expensive, this could be off.

Jeffrey Martel
02-26-2015, 12:54 PM
For an estimate of avoided expense of purchasing furniture, I usually assume about 4X the material cost. I've tried doing a more detailed comparison a couple times and that seems like a reasonable rule-of-thumb. Obviously if the piece is intricate and/or the materials are expensive, this could be off.

I would expect more than that. 5x or more would be more in the realm of what I would have to pay to replace my projects it seems. Even more if you would claim that you have to justify it with a custom piece since you had a certain look or size that isn't achieved with normal furniture dealer pieces.

I built a blanket chest as a wedding gift to a friend of mine, with about $75 worth of wood and another $50 in hardware, and the closest I could find comparable examples for were going for $700-800. And, they were still a lot more simple than what I did.

Rod Sheridan
02-26-2015, 2:06 PM
The last time I actually tracked this was when I made 2 Morris chairs and footstools.

The material cost was under $1,000, the cost of purchasing the furniture was $6,000 plus 15% sales tax.................Regards, Rod.

Rich Riddle
02-26-2015, 2:57 PM
The last time I actually tracked this was when I made 2 Morris chairs and footstools.

The material cost was under $1,000, the cost of purchasing the furniture was $6,000 plus 15% sales tax.................Regards, Rod.

They really stick you Cannucks with high sales tax.

mike mcilroy
02-26-2015, 3:09 PM
They really stick you Cannucks with high sales tax.

Not very good selection, if anything at all, at a much higher price for the most part too. Thankfully I'm 5 minutes from Detroit.( Not too many people say that anymore) My big machine purchases are from USA with the Ontario taxes added at the border I still usually end up saving 15%-30%.

This also applies to lots of other hobby stuff. I bought a Gibson Les Paul at Guitar Center for over $1000 less than the before taxes price up here. My wife's different hobbies its the same story for selection and price.

Rod may get better selection in TO but I bet the price issue is the same.

Rich Riddle
02-26-2015, 3:54 PM
Not very good selection, if anything at all, at a much higher price for the most part too. Thankfully I'm 5 minutes from Detroit.( Not too many people say that anymore) My big machine purchases are from USA with the Ontario taxes added at the border I still usually end up saving 15%-30%.

This also applies to lots of other hobby stuff. I bought a Gibson Les Paul at Guitar Center for over $1000 less than the before taxes price up here. My wife's different hobbies its the same story for selection and price.

Rod may get better selection in TO but I bet the price issue is the same.
You mean that you purchase the items in the USA, pay USA taxes and then must pay Canadian taxes when crossing the border?

Jim Andrew
02-26-2015, 4:20 PM
Think I have saved the most money by purchasing a small bandmill. I have every old outbuilding on the farm crammed with lumber. Now I am starting to move into one of the sheds I store farm equipment. 2 old metal grainerys are full of wood, which is good because hot summers kill bugs in there. Had to move a stack of walnut into the shop as I was out of room to stack more lumber in the old grainery. The nice days this month have allowed me catch up a little on my log pile.

mike mcilroy
02-26-2015, 6:42 PM
You mean that you purchase the items in the USA, pay USA taxes and then must pay Canadian taxes when crossing the border?

Rich,
That's right and it still saves in that percentage range because the prices up here are so high.

Rich Riddle
02-26-2015, 8:32 PM
Rich,
That's right and it still saves in that percentage range because the prices up here are so high.

I just developed a deeper respect for Cannucks commitment to the hobby which is hard considering you have Rod and he merits a lot of respect anyway. Sorry to hear about the additional expenses. Combined with your horrific winters, you folks are a hardy lot.

mike mcilroy
02-26-2015, 9:11 PM
Your NE coast and a few OH, NY lake effect areas get it way worse than I do. Rod probably gets more snow than I do too. Even more painful than the tools is the wood. The selection in my area is poor because there are very few mills. Up north of me by 4 hours the options are greater but the prices are too. I can shop for wood on line from the US but there are restrictions about wood coming across the border. I have talked to 4 different people at Canadian Customs using their on line directory and have gotten 4 different answers about what I need to do. I have yet to try because I don't want to drop good money on what ends up in a Customs burn barrel.
There are some things we pay less for it does work both ways, just not the stuff I want.
I consider myself lucky to be so close to the border and with Grizzly shipping to Canada now it is getting better.
Not sure about the hardy tag most of the people I'm around whine if we get 2" of snow. Istill love the winter but am in the minority.

Bill Clifton
02-26-2015, 11:00 PM
I am more of a home repair/project man than a woodworker. I have built furniture, done plumbing, hard surfaces in the yard, etc. My shop has mostly been at least half and sometimes all of a two car garage. I have a 35 year old Sears RAS ($250?), a second hand contractors table saw ($250), my Dad band saw ($250 to the estate), a big box store planer and jointer at $300 each and some small power tools. My biggest satistfaction is being able to do what needs to be done. I am not quick, I do real decent work, but not perfect, but I get it done.

The answer is $3000 over 25+ years. And if I can get the big bills paid off in the next 20 months and I am still working there may be a new cabinet saw in my future.

Seriously, the feeling of doing it myself with the minimal tools I have is my reward.

mike mcilroy
02-26-2015, 11:17 PM
I am more of a home repair/project man than a woodworker.

My biggest satistfaction is being able to do what needs to be done. I am not quick, I do real decent work, but not perfect, but I get it done.

Thats how I started then caught the woodworking bug. Then the "investment" started.

Rich Riddle
02-27-2015, 6:36 AM
I am more of a home repair/project man than a woodworker. I have built furniture, done plumbing, hard surfaces in the yard, etc. My shop has mostly been at least half and sometimes all of a two car garage. My biggest satisfaction is being able to do what needs to be done. I am not quick, I do real decent work, but not perfect, but I get it done.

That more-or-less describes me with additional woodworking as needed. Those of us who lack skills purchase tools to make up for that deficit, so my shop has too many expensive tools so decent-quality work gets produced. Consequently, the real decent work you complete at a modest price costs me thousands in higher-quality tools so that mistakes can be avoided or concealed.

Frederick Skelly
02-27-2015, 7:00 AM
Wow. Some of you are into this for (far) more than my car is worth! I stand in here gaping in awe (and envy). :) And to think that a few weeks ago, I felt guilty buying a brand new jack plane from Lee Valley. Clearly, Im not thinking big enough. ;)

Rich Riddle
02-27-2015, 7:02 AM
Wow. Some of you are into this for (far) more than my car is worth! I stand in here gaping in awe (and envy). :) And to think that a few weeks ago, I felt guilty buying a brand new jack plane from Lee Valley. Clearly, Im not thinking big enough. ;)

No picture, didn't happen.

Frederick Skelly
02-27-2015, 7:09 AM
No picture, didn't happen.

Honest. It did Rich. I promise. The dog ate my camera - I mean my camera cable. Its the Neanders' fault. For 2 years they've been taunting me to buy that tool and I couldn't fight them off any more. ;) And it is a LOVELY tool to use.

John Sanford
02-27-2015, 1:28 PM

Well, some folks generate income from it, either on the side or professionally. Also, very few of these tools are going to wear out in our lifetimes, whereas your car probably will. Few hobbies can be cheap, all can be expensive. I had a friend who was a runner. How expensive can that be?? He was buying a new pair of running shoes every month... and that didn't count what going to events cost him.

And yes, you aren't thinking big enough. Or perhaps you are. It simply depends on how you want to approach this... Some people make a hobby out of doing the mostest with the leastest, even if, sometimes especially if, that's the hardest approach.