PDA

View Full Version : Small dust collectors, wall hanging type

Scott Brandstetter
02-23-2015, 3:10 PM
I have a large jet for most of my tools but nothing right now for my router or miter saw. Was thinking of an inexpensive 1HP wall DC for each item. Any thoughts on whether this is enough? Would it be a waste to add a thein style baffle?

Jim Dwight
02-23-2015, 3:48 PM
I think it will collect chips and coarse dust but will spread fine dust all over your shop. The bags on the little wall hung DCs are, I believe, pretty coarse filters of dust. A Thein might make a little difference but a cyclone would do more to trap dust. Better filters would also help. There are relatively good bags but the cartridge filters are even better. But duplicating all of this is harder than running piping for a central DC.

Robert Delhommer Sr
02-23-2015, 5:00 PM
I have 2 of the HF 1Hp Dc (the green one with the induction motor), one for my router set up on a downdraft table and the other for my scroll saw setup. Bothm have a Thien style separator with them and they do a good job. I exhaust both of them outside, no filter needed. I have the 2Hp HF with a Thien style separator piped to the big tools in the shop with the filter?? bag. Soon to be exhausted outside also. Works great for me.