PDA

View Full Version : Miller dowel system

Dale Rodabaugh
07-30-2005, 9:17 AM
Just finished up assembly of my first project using the Miller dowels.Seems like a good system to me.Have any of you other woodshed operators tried them yet?And if so what do you think of them?:cool: :cool: :cool:

Bob Noles
07-30-2005, 9:33 AM
Dale,

I purchased the Miller system a few months ago and have used it only once so far. I liked it and it was simple enough to get a good and tight fit.

Brian Buckley
07-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Dale,

I use them often. They make a very good joint and are easy to use. I also like the looks of them.

Brian

lloyd morris
07-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Dale,

I have used the Miller Dowel System on my workbench to attach the side skirts with excellent results. IMHO if used for what it is intended, it is strong, fast and with contrasting light or dark dowels gives a very nice overall look to the project.

Lloyd Morris

Dave Lehnert
07-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Got to meet the owner of Miller Dowel. His Dad came up with the idea. His son wants to call it the “Miller Peg” But dad had the finial vote I guess.
The Miller Dowel is a great way to introduce kids to woodworking. Build something like a step stool, make all the cuts and drill the holes. Let the kids match up the parts and hammer in the pegs. They love it. Makes them feel they made it themselves.

Joe Unni
07-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Dale,

I completed 4 parsons tables a short while ago and drilled and hammered some 500+ Miller Dowels. (Why so many - it was a commercial application with specific requirements. If you'd like the details - just ask.) I would not have been able to complete this project quickly and efficiently. Miller support is excellent as well. Before I commited to all these dowels I called to see if they had any tips and/or caveats. They said most importantly was to blow out the holes of sawdust (I used a basketball fill needle on my air gun), don't use too much glue, and only drive the dowel until seated - you can hear it when it is.

I've not used the system since, but I would not hesitate on a furture project should the design warrant.

Good luck,
-joe