PDA

View Full Version : Funny story....... Well, now it's funny.

Larry Edgerton
02-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Someone gave me this magnet that was used in a printing operation to pull metal out of the paper. Its about 3' long, 2 1/2" wide and consists of a 1/8" stainless sheet with a bunch of some kind of magnets bonded to it that are parallelograms spaced about 1/4" apart the whole length. EXTREMELY STRONG!!!! its so strong my buddy and I picked up my DJ20 with it easily. Easy for the magnet, not us. There is a warning on it to stay ten feet away if you have a pacemaker.

I had it screwed to the wall to hold shaper bushings and decided that I was going to make a magnetic fixture out of it, so I took it down and cut it in half. I was putting handles on it, coming from the drill press heading back to the bench when WHAM!

As I walked by the other half sitting on the saw magnet side up the one on the saw jumped up and bit me. No, really, that is what happened! You always hear of trees jumping out and biting cars so I know this stuff can happen.

SO...... Here I am in my shop working alone with my finger caught between two magnets that are capable of lifting a jointer. This hurts a little bit. You know that instant when you hit your finger with a hammer? Well, just keep that going. I don't suggest that you keep hitting yourself with a hammer to get an idea what it felt like, just take my word for it. To give you a clue, I have broken both legs at the same time, and this hurt worse. Or, maybe I an just getting to be a wimp in my old age?

So in screaming pain I am trying to get this off my finger. Can't pull it out, probably a good thing in retrospect and I only have one hand to work with, the other one having a couple of foot and a half magnets clamped on it. Plus my vision was little blurry, probably had something to do with the magnets making my eyes water. I didn't know magnets could do that? Who knew?

I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get it off because I am not sure I can drive the ten miles to town with the magnets making my eyes water. I can't pull two magnets apart with one hand, something I had never thought about before. Its true, you can't do it! I was almost ready to head for town when I spied the rail on my slide saw. I slipped the open end that was fighting its hardest to mate with its sibling over the rail, grabbed the saw wrench that hangs there and jambed it in between, prying enough that I could slip my finger out.

The pain then got worse, and I thought I was going to have to visit the porcelain goddess. My finger was no more than a 1/4" thick. Didn't know exactly how much bone was in my finger, and now I do, about 1/4 inch. It took a half hour for it to regain is somewhat normal shape, and as it did the pain subsided with it.

Its ok to laugh, I do now......

Oh yeah, I screwed the two halves back on the wall and that is where those little buggers are going to stay.....;)

Larry

Michael Weber
02-23-2015, 1:06 PM
WOW! I can't laugh at that. Glad your okay and there wasn't something vital between the halves when the came together. That's just really scary.

Ryan Mooney
02-23-2015, 1:23 PM
I've been bitten by smaller hard drive magnets. Instant blood blister!!

I can't imagine getting caught by a bigger one like that, you're darn lucky you came out with nothing actually broken :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2015, 1:41 PM
Rare earth magnets are powerful!

At age 15, while working on oil rigs for my Dad, I was driving some new teeth into a set of pipe tongs when a sliver of steel sheared off and went into my left forearm. I had that piece of steel in that for arm for nearly 40 years. Other than a "blue" mark under the skin, it never was a problem other than when I climbed inside the bore of the magnets on 1.5T MR scanners. When in there working, I could feel the magnetic field rotating the piece of steel. It wasn't painful and didn't present a problem.

When I got ready to install locally a 3T MR scanner, it became a different story. BTW, a 3T magnet is roughly 50,000 times the earth's magnetic field strength which though being argued again, is generally considered 0.6 gauss. We used a small rare earth magnet used to mount routers inside a computer chassis. You can't pull or lift the magnets straight off a surface. You have to slide them off an edge. I took one of the magnets with me to an appointment to have that sliver of steel removed from my arm by my personal physician. When he suggested we needed x-rays to locate it, I used the magnet to pull on the piece of steel to show him where it was located. He decided we didn't need x-rays. In fact, he was so intrigued by the strength of that magnet, he asked my permission and then brought his entire staff into the room to witness the event. After he made a small slit in the skin, care to guess what he used to pull that little metal piece out of my arm? He didn't have to do any probing.

Rare earth magnets have incredible strength!

Mike Lassiter
02-23-2015, 1:43 PM
I could see that as clear as day! Glad it turned out ok.
You know - I bet everybody here COULD tell similar stories of something that has happened to them over the years.

here's ONE of mine:

I grew up at a boys home called Youth Town. I was learning about cars and stuff from the ones that had been parked for various reasons that didn't run or work anymore. Had a 60 Chevy at the tool shed where we parked the tractors and stored hay for the cows and horses. Pole shed that had poles about 20' high the tin roof was fastened on. I was trying to pull the engine out of the car with a cheap cable come-a-long that I needed to attach to something above the car. That turned out to be the wooden joist between the creosol poles. So here I go shimming up the creosol pole with a chain trying to hang on and climb up the pole with my arms and legs around it - and trying to carry the 20' chain up with me. I was about 15 at the time (mid 70's). So I made it to the top of the creosol pole and managed to get the chain around the joist and slide over sort of close to the center but my legs and arms are numb. Been bear hugging that smelly pole trying to hold myself up with nothing but squeezing my legs around the pole and one arm somewhat.

So happy with the chain being hung. I can pull if over more once I get down on the ground. I started shimming back down, but my legs are THROBBING and hurting like crazy. I NEED to get down before my legs quite working. I got to hurry up before I fall. So down I go, until a sharp pain starts stabbing my inner right thigh. I cannot go down any more! There is a BIG LONG splinter that was pointed up on the side of the pole that is now piercing my thigh and the creosol is burning like my leg is on fire! I needed to climb back up to get off the splinter, but I cannot. My legs are about to fall off! Can't continue down and unable to go back up. I ended up hugging the pole as tight as I could with my arms, which freed my legs somewhat from holding me up them had to twist my leg out away from the pole and break the big splinter off in my leg. The guys that were there with me got a good laugh as I again started back down the pole. When I got down on the ground my legs were totally numb. And sticking out of my pants leg was the splinter about 10" long. I then had to pull it out of my thigh muscle. the splinter was in my leg about an inch deep. And even today over 40 years later I still have a black stain from the creosol in my leg from that.

Larry Edgerton
02-23-2015, 2:03 PM
Good stories! I feel better.

The worst part I think was that I did not see that second magnet sitting there as I walked by. I had no idea what was happening till I looked at my hand.

I have a story to match yours Mike.

I owned a share of a paving company when I was a young man and we had an old D8 dozer that had a blown head gasket. I took it all apart but could obviously not lift the head as they are extremely heavy so I got the boom truck, an ancient Diamond T 2 ton with a homemade boom on the back.

I hooked it all up and put some stress on it and nothing happened. I went back to the dozer to make sure I had all the head bolts out and they were all out. So I tapped on it with a hammer and nothing. I tried driving a wedge in between the head and the block, nothing.

So in one of my many strokes of brilliance I went back and really put some pressure on it. I lifted the front of the boom truck off the ground about two feet. Nothing. I went and tapped on it, nothing. I checked the bolts again, yup, they were all out.

I was getting down to look for another way to attack it when it let go.......

Not good. The boom truck being up in the air treated the whole setup like a big heavy catapult. The head came off and flew up through the tin roof, then came back down and made another hole.

Yeah, that was a real "Duh" moment...........

Larry

Kent A Bathurst
02-23-2015, 2:14 PM
Larry - I believe you may have inadvertently invented a new "small critter trap". I can see rodents, squirrels, and stray cats in a mag sandwich.

Refine it and sell it, is my advice.

Larry Edgerton
02-23-2015, 2:22 PM
Seems to work pretty good for large critters too......

Jim Koepke
02-23-2015, 2:29 PM
At one time I had a lot of magnets from old hard drives. Everyone who saw them needed a pair for some reason or another. Seems everyone who got a pair had drawn blood, their own, within 5 minutes of being given a pair.

jtk

Mike Lassiter
02-23-2015, 2:42 PM
Good stories! I feel better.

The worst part I think was that I did not see that second magnet sitting there as I walked by. I had no idea what was happening till I looked at my hand.

I have a story to match yours Mike.

I owned a share of a paving company when I was a young man and we had an old D8 dozer that had a blown head gasket. I took it all apart but could obviously not lift the head as they are extremely heavy so I got the boom truck, an ancient Diamond T 2 ton with a homemade boom on the back.

I hooked it all up and put some stress on it and nothing happened. I went back to the dozer to make sure I had all the head bolts out and they were all out. So I tapped on it with a hammer and nothing. I tried driving a wedge in between the head and the block, nothing.

So in one of my many strokes of brilliance I went back and really put some pressure on it. I lifted the front of the boom truck off the ground about two feet. Nothing. I went and tapped on it, nothing. I checked the bolts again, yup, they were all out.

I was getting down to look for another way to attack it when it let go.......

Not good. The boom truck being up in the air treated the whole setup like a big heavy catapult. The head came off and flew up through the tin roof, then came back down and made another hole.

Yeah, that was a real "Duh" moment...........

Larry

I got a few old dozer stories too.

A few years later at Youth Town, the farm manager and I were trying to get an old IH dozer he bought to run. Being the car nut I was (anything mechanical in fact) I had a compressor gauge that had a rubber tip on it sort of like some of the air blowguns you can buy. We had the fuel injectors out and decided to see what the compression was in the engine. Neither of us actually knew what good compression was for a diesel engine, but back then around 125-150 psi was fairly common on gas engines.

So he worked the starter and I held the compression tester in the injector hole. He spun the engine over, and well - let's just say we never really found out exactly how much compression the 4 cylinders had, but we knew it was more than 300 psi. On #1 cylinder when it hit compression - it blew the tester out of my hands, shot up and ricocheted off my head then hit the bottom of the tin roof of the pole shed we were in and fell back down to the ground. I was sort of shocked - and in pain. And fearing we had destroyed my compression tester, I picked it up and looked at it. At first we didn't think it worked until we realized the gauge was actually pegged out. High reading was 300 psi on the gauge so we figured it was good if it had that much.:eek:

So when we did the remaining 3 cylinders I basically leaned on the gauge when the engine was spun over. Each time the compression hit it felt like shooting a shotgun the jolt that I got when the piston came up. But it didn't go airborne again.

Kent A Bathurst
02-23-2015, 2:53 PM
I assume this thread/topic is not the appropriate place to say "no photos, didn't happen"?

John Coloccia
02-23-2015, 3:02 PM
Larry, I should have sent over one of my ex's to help. Perhaps her repulsive personality could have saved the day.

Robert Payne
02-23-2015, 3:10 PM
I think you guys are trying to compete for this year's Darwin Awards!

Malcolm Schweizer
02-23-2015, 3:21 PM
My wife had a similar situation happen. My friend was working on a project for a scientist who was inventing a new magnetic seal for an MRI machine. Apparently they use insanely powerful magnets. All month he had told me about these magnets and how powerful they were. They were wedge-shaped, and when put together just right, they would form a circle. There were two of these circles formed from smaller magnets.

I was in town, and visiting with my friend and couldn't wait to see these magnets, because magnets are cool. We were talking and my wife decided to pick up one of the rings, and before I could yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! She did so, and the ring collapsed on itself, pinching her in it. That's not all- the other ring literally jumped off the table and flew about 3 feet through the air to join the whole mess, trapping her hand even worse. She was pale and almost in shock. My friend and I looked at each other knowingly- there is no way to get those magnets apart. I believe they each had a 250 pound pull rating if my memory doesn't fail me. I assume that means two of them together have a 500 pound pull. Luckily they had broken when they hit and ultimately they were just pinching the skin of her hand. Could have been much worse. She ended up just ripping the skin to get free.

I'm glad this thread came up. Folks, believe me, a rare earth magnet of even a few inches can have over 100 pound pull, and can do a lot of damage. Do not play with them. I ended up having to replace the magnet that was damaged, and I had to sign a legal waiver before being allowed to order it. The waiver basically stated that I knew these things could mame or kill and I was responsible if I did something stupid with them. :-)

John Coloccia, that comment above is the funniest thing ever.

Judson Green
02-23-2015, 3:46 PM
I assume this thread/topic is not the appropriate place to say "no photos, didn't happen"?

Yeah really Larry!

A reenactment is necessary.

Glad your OK.

Scott Shepherd
02-23-2015, 3:56 PM
Good thing you didn't decide to carry that magnet in your pocket that day. Could have been a totally different story, at a higher pitch :eek:

Pat Barry
02-23-2015, 4:12 PM
EXTREMELY STRONG!!!! its so strong my buddy and I picked up my DJ20 with it easily. Easy for the magnet, not us. There is a warning on it to stay ten feet away if you have a pacemaker.;)
Larry

Keep away 10 feet if you have a pacemaker. Of course, by the time you can read that you are within 10 feet already. Now that's funny!

Glad you didn't get a broken knuckle or two out of your accident. I whacked my thumb with a hammer this summer and the blood blister under it finally went away when the nail grew out - it took 6 months!. I didn't lose the nail thankfully. I hope you don't either.

Judson Green
02-23-2015, 5:00 PM
Good thing you didn't decide to carry that magnet in your pocket that day. Could have been a totally different story, at a higher pitch :eek:

Got a good laugh out of that one, thanks

Bruce Volden
02-23-2015, 5:02 PM
SUPER GLUE story.

My daughter (16 @ time) thought super glue was mostly hype. She asked me to apply some to her hand. Me, being a doting father, complied. She spent the next 20 minutes freeing herself and became a true believe. BUT
She also had seen me applying an accelerant to speed up cure time and in many items I was making. Asked me how it worked and we got into the conversation of catalyst's. Sine she was "keen" on science she wanted to experience this too.
I applied a small dab of super glue to her palm and hit it with a light mist of the accelerant---the rest you can imagine.
She ended up with a small blister and s***ty grin and has become very good in science. She's 27 now and still laughs about it.
Me, I ended up serving 20 to life for child endangerment! JK

Bruce

Larry Edgerton
02-23-2015, 5:06 PM
Larry, I should have sent over one of my ex's to help. Perhaps her repulsive personality could have saved the day.

One of your ex's? Glad to see I am not the only one in that club........

Larry Edgerton
02-23-2015, 5:09 PM
I think you guys are trying to compete for this year's Darwin Awards!

Oh come on now. You have a story, you are just being coy.........

Andrew Joiner
02-23-2015, 5:17 PM
Larry you told the story well. I could picture, and hear you in my mind. Painfully funny. If you had a video it might be worth big money!

John Coloccia
02-23-2015, 5:33 PM
One of your ex's? Glad to see I am not the only one in that club........

Fortunately, I always managed to dodge the bullet, but I came real close a couple of times. :)

Lee Schierer
02-23-2015, 5:55 PM
Wow. pretty incredible.

May I make a suggestion. Take a 3 x 5 card and permanently mount it near those magnets with a warning not to get them close to each other. I don't know how old you are, but you might not be the one that takes them down in the future and it would be nice to warn whomever might want to take them down to be careful.

Chris Padilla
02-23-2015, 6:01 PM
I had been doing some remodeling in the living room and had board set up between two small ladders to act as a mini scaffold to help put up some drywall along one big wall.

There is the apple of my eye, my young daughter about 4 or 5 years old (that's her in the avatar), straddling the board and playing with my drill. The drill was empty and she was buzzing it off and on having a good time and suddenly she yelped. It took me a few second to realize what had happened but she got her hair stuck in the spinning chuck and ripped out a good handful...probably the size of a silver dollar on one side of her head. We had to put an ice pack on her head to dull the pain and I spent a good hour digging her hair out of the chuck.

I heard IT for the next 6 months every time my wife got her ready for pre-school. It was pretty easy to hide but every time the wind blew, you could see something was a bit off on that side of her head. My daughter turns 13 tomorrow and I asked her about this. She remembers it like it was yesterday! She said she remembers something looking interesting on the drill and bent down to take a closer look and in an instant....

Thankfully both her and mommy still talk to me so they got over it. No fun with magnets, no swallowing batteries (some nasty stories about kids swallowing those dime sized batteries), but my daughter did bite her tongue pretty good at the playground once...with my wife supervising. That might've been before the drill incident. :D

David Falkner
02-23-2015, 6:07 PM
I'll jump in on the magnet theme -

July, 1969 - I was CC'ing, porting, and polishing the heads on my 289 '65 Mustang, just a high school kid with a Dremel and a desire to go faster. I was having a little trouble with my safety glasses getting in the way so I took them off to do some of the grinding. Middle of the job, Friday morning, I left with our church group for a 3 day camp. Later that day my contact lenses started killing me so I took them out (legally blind without correction). So I spent the weekend with my eyes closed and in pain because it was too far to head back home and since it was 1969 there were no cell phones and no phone at the camp.

The group got home Sunday afternoon just in time for me to sit 3' in front of the TV and open my eyes long enough to see and hear Neil Armstrong say, "That's one small step...". The next day my mom took me to the eye doctor who asked if I had been grinding cast iron. Turns out all the metal in my eyes had begun to rust! He told my mom he'd have to cut it all out and she nearly passed out. He just laughed and got a really strong magnet out of his drawer, put it close to my eyes, and all the cast iron jumped from my eyes to the magnet.

I learned a valuable lesson and gained tremendous respect for what magnets can do.

Jason Roehl
02-23-2015, 6:49 PM
4"x4"x2"x139 oz. Not very big, but this is what's possible:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX0ZX0Y0-N52&cat=168

Larry Edgerton
02-23-2015, 6:56 PM
I'll jump in on the magnet theme -

July, 1969 - I was CC'ing, porting, and polishing the heads on my 289 '65 Mustang, just a high school kid with a Dremel and a desire to go faster. I was having a little trouble with my safety glasses getting in the way so I took them off to do some of the grinding. Middle of the job, Friday morning, I left with our church group for a 3 day camp. Later that day my contact lenses started killing me so I took them out (legally blind without correction). So I spent the weekend with my eyes closed and in pain because it was too far to head back home and since it was 1969 there were no cell phones and no phone at the camp.

The group got home Sunday afternoon just in time for me to sit 3' in front of the TV and open my eyes long enough to see and hear Neil Armstrong say, "That's one small step...". The next day my mom took me to the eye doctor who asked if I had been grinding cast iron. Turns out all the metal in my eyes had begun to rust! He told my mom he'd have to cut it all out and she nearly passed out. He just laughed and got a really strong magnet out of his drawer, put it close to my eyes, and all the cast iron jumped from my eyes to the magnet.

I learned a valuable lesson and gained tremendous respect for what magnets can do.

Hey good to know! I can save a trip to the doctor and just walk over close to me wall.

Steve Peterson
02-23-2015, 8:41 PM
Too funny Larry. I can't believe you typed all that with only one hand.

Steve

Larry Edgerton
02-25-2015, 7:39 PM
I posted this on a Volvo forum and got accused of plagiarizm because it was too well written.

I am not on that board any more after I told the mod to, well, never mind. I am just not there any more........

Brian Deakin
03-01-2015, 5:42 AM
Many years ago I was making a chilli and had reached the point in the recipe where I had to chop up the chillies I then realised I did not have any tinned tomatoes so I decided to go to the local store

On my way out of the house I went for a wee

I left the house got in the car and drove to the store I was standing in the queue waiting to pay for the tomatoes when I started to develop a burning sensation down below

Yes you guessed the chillies

I rushed home and when the wife came in from work I was standing with the affected area in the bathroom sink

Bob Turkovich
03-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm calling you out on this one, Brian. Chili in the UK??? No way!

I grew up in a house with maternal grandparents from Halifax/Leeds and visited the UK a few times. There was nothing that resembled chili on the menu.

Bob Turkovich
03-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Brian,

Mea culpa!!:o I'm going to have to retract my doubt.

In a moment of boredom, I searched Google and found they even grow chilies in the UK! But chili on the menu in restaurants or in the daily diet regimen..I dunno...

Brian Deakin
03-03-2015, 3:45 PM
I have been making chillis for 35 years and the last chilli I made was from a recipe on Americas test kitchen

Other I grew up in a council (working class house) in the Uk I too then never had anything like chilli and the only spice in the house was ground white pepper

My father never had a steak in his entire life and had egg mayoniase for the first time aged 70 and said I like this what is it

Kent A Bathurst
03-03-2015, 5:02 PM
4"x4"x2"x139 oz. Not very big, but this is what's possible:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX0ZX0Y0-N52&cat=168

Remarkable - they all but say "DO NOT buy this".

Jason - what would one of these be used for? I like the bit where they say after it is on metal, you ain't never, ever, gonna move nor remove it.

Especially when they have qty price breaks. NO idea what would be done with one, much less a dozen.

Jason Roehl
03-03-2015, 5:33 PM
Jason - what would one of these be used for?

Beats me, but it's a good thing I don't have a few grand in disposable income. I'm sure I could figure something out, but it wouldn't necessarily be constructive.

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2015, 6:29 PM
Jason - what would one of these be used for? I like the bit where they say after it is on metal, you ain't never, ever, gonna move nor remove it.

Put one on the front of your Beemer, mileage will increase, but make sure your brakes are up to snuff....

Submarine trap?

Magic Dartboard?

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE MIND BOGGLING!

My new goal for the month is not to take your title away.

Next month, we will see...........

Sam Murdoch
03-03-2015, 6:40 PM
Very well told story Larry. :eek: :D I laughed even as I was cringing in pain for you.

Kent A Bathurst
03-03-2015, 6:42 PM
Put one on the front of your Beemer, mileage will increase, but make sure your brakes are up to snuff....

Larry - I have always always ALWAYS made sure the brakes and tires are in great shape. I want to get out of trouble as fast as I get into it - and I work hard on getting into it. If a fella just wants a nice ride, get a friggin' Lexus. If you want to drive, get a Beemer with a stick, and the sport suspension option.

IF you know how to drive, then the size of the engine is not a big factor - just watch the tach, stir the stick, keep the revs at the right spot on the torque curve, and ignore the friggin' speedo.

My new goal for the month is not to take your title away.

Next month, we will see...........

Dude - I'm locked in for March. Happy to have you back on the leaderboard for April. ;)

Heh-heh-heh.....every post of yours I read makes me think about the car, clutch, garage, body shop story......... I love it. :D

Larry Edgerton
03-04-2015, 6:52 AM
Larry - I have always always ALWAYS made sure the brakes and tires are in great shape. I want to get out of trouble as fast as I get into it - and I work hard on getting into it. If a fella just wants a nice ride, get a friggin' Lexus. If you want to drive, get a Beemer with a stick, and the sport suspension option.

IF you know how to drive, then the size of the engine is not a big factor - just watch the tach, stir the stick, keep the revs at the right spot on the torque curve, and ignore the friggin' speedo.

:D

Dude, you are preaching to the choir. In better times I drove BMW, started out with a 2002, Bavaria, 635 CSI, then a 850CSI that was a mistake and went back to a highly modified 318. My brother has had a series of them as well, including a 540M he wrecked last year, now drives a 530. All were sticks. If I can get back on track I am hoping to pick up a Z3 to take care of my Miata addiction.

But for now all I have to play with is a 67 Volvo Amazon wagon with a highly modified 2130cc motor. Now If I can just figure out how to get a Miata 6 speed in there.............

Cars and women have been my downfall.....

Kent A Bathurst
03-04-2015, 9:50 AM
Cars and women have been my downfall.....

Reminds me of a story I heard years ago.

George Hurst sold his company, and retired - really retired. Kinda dropped out of sight.

After a number of years passed, he showed back up one day and was talking with buddies in the go-fast gang, telling them he was getting back in business.

One guy said - "But George - what happened to all that money you made?"

"Most of it went to booze, broads, and boats. The rest of it I just wasted."