PDA

View Full Version : Focus ?

Bert Kemp
02-23-2015, 12:45 PM
I often read to get a darker burn or contrast to take the laser out of focus a little. Does it make any difference which way you move the table. Do you get a better contrast moving closer to lens or further from lens. Or does it matter at all?

Gary Hair
02-23-2015, 12:59 PM
As far as I know, the beam is hourglass shaped so it shouldn't matter. That said, I always move it up - for no reason other than consistency.

Bert Kemp
02-23-2015, 1:46 PM
LOL you got me ;) You move the lens up further from the table or you move the table up closer to the lens ? LOL

As far as I know, the beam is hourglass shaped so it shouldn't matter. That said, I always move it up - for no reason other than consistency.

Gary Hair
02-23-2015, 2:34 PM
you move the table up closer to the lens

This is what I do

Robert Schmiede
02-23-2015, 3:39 PM
I have a ruler,part there of, glued to the frame of the machine between the up and down table so I can bring the table up closer to the lens to my prefered out of focus height. Ruler is vertical.

Dan Hintz
02-23-2015, 4:54 PM
It generally doesn't matter, but I choose to move the table farther away from the lens. Darker lines = more smoke, so more distance between said smoke and my precious optics is always appreciated.

Chuck Stone
02-23-2015, 5:24 PM
Personally, I never cared for the softer focus. Slowing it down a little gives me
the deeper color without sacrificing the sharpness.

Bert Kemp
02-23-2015, 5:47 PM
Very neat Idea TY

I have a ruler,part there of, glued to the frame of the machine between the up and down table so I can bring the table up closer to the lens to my prefered out of focus height. Ruler is vertical.

Bert Kemp
02-23-2015, 5:48 PM
That makes good sense too

It generally doesn't matter, but I choose to move the table farther away from the lens. Darker lines = more smoke, so more distance between said smoke and my precious optics is always appreciated.

Bert Kemp
02-23-2015, 5:50 PM
Yes but doesn't that make the engraving deeper my material is 3mm so I don't want to go thru.

Personally, I never cared for the softer focus. Slowing it down a little gives me
the deeper color without sacrificing the sharpness.

Chuck Stone
02-23-2015, 7:54 PM
Yes but doesn't that make the engraving deeper my material is 3mm so I don't want to go thru.

Sure .. a bit deeper. So I back off on the power a little
to compensate.

I'm not sure I'd do this if I did heavy engraving all the time, I'm
sure the extra time would add up. But as it is, on a full bed
engraving that might take 30-40 minutes or so, I don't notice it
taking longer. If I were a busy shop I might pay closer attention.

Keith Colson
02-23-2015, 8:16 PM
When you engrave out of focus the engrave does not go as deep, it just gets a lot darker. I have a 22 hour job I am running which starts tomorrow. It would be 38 hours and unaffordable if I did it in focus but slower. The trick to doing it out of focus is to compensate for it in the artwork. I still get a sharp edge, its like colouring something in with a marker versus a pencil. No pencil lines and much faster. I will try and post a photo when this job is complete, the customer took the sample. Its almost black in colour. I got the job due to my quicker and lower price and he like the burnt look better too. I still billed the customer 3.5 hours @65 for the out of focus artwork and test sample.

Like Dan I put the bed further away to keep the optics clean. You also have more travel in this direction too.

Bert Kemp
02-23-2015, 9:56 PM
Thanks to everyone I have a pretty good Idea nowof which way to go and how much and a ruler attached to keep track. I don't engrave a lot but I would like more contrast on what I do do thanks for all the good info.

Keith Colson
03-02-2015, 4:34 AM
I completed my out of focus test run today, here is a comparison of the job done in focus by my competitor and the out of focus burn I did. These were both done in low resolution e.g. density 2 in the universal's 1 to 7 choice.Higher densities would have killed the job on hours. The focus was set 10mm out. The grain really pops out nicely.

Bert Kemp
03-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Yes really does stand out.:)

Rich Harman
03-02-2015, 1:57 PM
I completed my out of focus test run today, here is a comparison of the job done in focus by my competitor and the out of focus burn I did. These were both done in low resolution e.g. density 2 in the universal's 1 to 7 choice.Higher densities would have killed the job on hours. The focus was set 10mm out. The grain really pops out nicely.

Comparing two pieces done on the same material on the same machine would make a better example. This comparison against someone else's work has too many variables to be considered definitive. I'm not debating that out of focus wouldn't make for a darker engraving - just pointing out that the real difference made by changing the focus cannot be demonstrated when it was performed in different locations on different machines using different pieces of material.

Richard Rumancik
03-02-2015, 2:11 PM
. . . Like Dan I put the bed further away to keep the optics clean. . . .

I also put the bed down but for a different reason. I want to know fairly accurately what the out-of-focus amount is. If I want to be .060" o.o.f. I can place a .060" shim on the workpiece and then focus off the shim. This ensures repeatibility.

Using the ruler idea, I wonder how one would be able to accurately read the table height off of the ruler graduations, if I understand it correctly.

Keith Colson
03-02-2015, 2:28 PM
Rich, that is a good observation you have made. To get the job I engraved the "same" material and got very similar results. I engraved the back of the competitors sample and the customer took that away so I don't have photos.

Edit: Actually if you look to the very left of the picture you can see my engrave on the same material before I adjusted the artwork for the out of focus engrave.

Richard, you can focus your Z normally,then add 10mm in my case to the Z number. I do this automatically, so the Z axis goes back to the right position, before the cut out happens. I think its called "Auto Z" or something.

Cheers
Keith

Bert Kemp
03-02-2015, 5:44 PM
You are using the shims sounds a lot easier then using a ruler off the side