PDA

View Full Version : Smart phone

Jerome Stanek
02-23-2015, 11:59 AM
I currently have a flip phone that I carry in a pouch on my belt. I was thinking of getting a smart phone with a 5 inch screen How do you carry one of these.

Brian Tymchak
02-23-2015, 12:30 PM
I carry the Samsung Galaxy S3 that is just a bit under 5" on the diagonal on the belt with a belt clip like this (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Belt-Clip-Case/dp/B00KDP7YEW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424712427&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+s3+belt+clip).

I'm sure there are different styles by different makers.

Randy Red Bemont
02-23-2015, 1:01 PM
I have an smart phone that I wear with a similar belt holder. Easy to remove to answer.

Red

Lee Reep
02-23-2015, 1:08 PM
Hey, you are on a wood forum! Don't you wear carpenters jeans? I carry my iPhone 5 in the bigger right hand side pocket. When I dress up to go out on the town and want to make a fashion statement, I either wear cargo pants, or carry the phone in a calculator case (leather, HP, very stylish ...). :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2015, 1:25 PM
We just upgraded from Samsung S-3s to Samsung S-5s. I got a belt clip but typically just put it in my shirt pocket.

Mike Henderson
02-23-2015, 1:28 PM
I carry mine in my pocket.

Mike

Rich Enders
02-23-2015, 2:02 PM
They fit nicely in a purse.

Bill Huber
02-23-2015, 2:14 PM
I have a Samsung s4 and I use a Ottbox on it, it has a good protector that goes on the phone and then that just clips into a belt clip.
I will have to add that Ottbox is a really good company and has great customer service. I had a little problem with the first one and sent them and email and within an hour I had the form to fill out and send them to make sure they sent me the right one. Then 4 days later I had a new one.

Judson Green
02-23-2015, 3:30 PM
I carry mine in my pocket.

Mike

Me too but the phones just keep getting larger. Its getting difficult for a skinny guy carry one that way.

Jerome Stanek
02-23-2015, 4:50 PM
I carry too many things in my pocket now and my belt is getting loaded.

Darryl Hazen
02-23-2015, 5:05 PM
Wrangler Cargo pants have a slot in the cargo pockets that will hold the phone.

greg Forster
02-23-2015, 5:07 PM
clip to belt or just as often to front pants pocket. I use same brand -"Ballistic" with the iPhone4 and now with the iPhone6plus. I'm walking construction sites all day long and constantly using the phone i.e. 60-80 times a day and this brand has not failed me yet

Keith Westfall
02-23-2015, 11:37 PM
Listened to my local radio station (CBC Canada) a while back, and it was about men carrying phone in their front pocket, and women carrying it in their bra. Apparently neither are a good idea, if you believe the cancer causing theory...

I have mine (5S) in an Otter case on my belt, or front bib pocket when wearing my overalls in the shop.

Brian Henderson
02-24-2015, 4:42 AM
I have an smart phone that I wear with a similar belt holder. Easy to remove to answer.

Red

It's even easier to have a bluetooth headset. They're cheap and if you get a good one, you hardly ever have to touch the phone.

Brian Henderson
02-24-2015, 4:43 AM
I carry too many things in my pocket now and my belt is getting loaded.

I would never carry a phone in a pocket, it's too prone to getting broken. A belt clip is the only way. You usually have a choice of a magnetic catch or a velcro one. I prefer velcro, I found that the magnetic ones were too easy to pop open unintentionally.

Jim Matthews
02-24-2015, 6:58 AM
My MotoG fits into the side pocket below my hammer loop.
Carhartt must have known what was coming.

Lee Schierer
02-24-2015, 8:02 AM
I have an S4 mini and I carry it in a Reiko leather holster on my belt. I have an Otterbox protective case on it and it slips easily into the holster.

Matt Meiser
02-24-2015, 8:08 AM
I've always carried mine in my pants pockets, in a case. The biggest I've had is my current iPhone 6 which actually feels less bulky than my 5 due to being thinner. I've usually used Otterbox cases but am using an Apple leather cover right now after seeing some real world drop tests online. And I always have carried it with the screen toward my leg. Knock on wood, no problems yet.

If I had a 6 Plus, I'd probably have to get a small backpack :D

Don't you guys who clip them on your belts have problems snagging them on stuff? That's what always happened to me back in the old days when phones were too thick to put in a pocket. Haven't tried since so maybe thin is a big improvement?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Matt,

That is the reason I quit carrying mine on a belt clip. I was snagging it constantly and had it dropped as a result.

Brian Henderson
02-24-2015, 10:49 AM
I have yet to have a problem snagging mine on anything. I'm just aware of it and automatically make allowances.

Judson Green
02-24-2015, 12:44 PM
I would never carry a phone in a pocket, it's too prone to getting broken. A belt clip is the only way. You usually have a choice of a magnetic catch or a velcro one. I prefer velcro, I found that the magnetic ones were too easy to pop open unintentionally.

Been using cell phones for a long time and have yet to have one break on me and I'm a pocket career.

I feel the worst thing is dropping them. I've seen folks with crack screens and just can't figure out how that can happen, if ones being the slightest bit carefull.

Judson Green
02-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Don't you guys who clip them on your belts have problems snagging them on stuff? That's what always happened to me back in the old days when phones were too thick to put in a pocket. Haven't tried since so maybe thin is a big improvement?

Ive had it snag for the month or so I did the belt clip thing. Don't care for the look either... Like I should be wearing a cape and have my underwear over my pants.

Rick Potter
02-24-2015, 1:28 PM
I finally got one a couple weeks ago, and keep it in my European Man Bag, right next to my metrosexual grooming aids.

Jim Tobias
02-24-2015, 3:32 PM
Samsung Note 2 - big screen. keep it in my front jean pocket. No problem....slide in and out without any problem. Plus.....I can actually read things on the screen( important as you age) :)
Jim

Jason Roehl
02-24-2015, 5:33 PM
IPhone 5, OtterBox, in the belt clip upside down and face in on the left side of my belt. Years ago, when I just used a nylon holster for a Nokia candy-bar style phone, I noticed that it snagged less if I wore it on my left side--I'm right handed. Anyway, I wear it upside down because the loudspeaker for the ringer is on the bottom, so I'm more likely to hear the phone ring with the loudspeaker pointed up. I rarely feel the vibration (Apple needs to work on that...). I am really hard on my phones, but they've always survived the 2+ years I've kept them, many drops and construction sites later (very rarely from snags). My boys use my old iPhone 4 as an iPod, so it's now almost 4 years old and still going strong. It, too is in an OtterBox.

Myk Rian
02-24-2015, 6:10 PM
I carry the Samsung Galaxy S3 that is just a bit under 5" on the diagonal on the belt with a belt clip like this (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Belt-Clip-Case/dp/B00KDP7YEW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424712427&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+s3+belt+clip).

I'm sure there are different styles by different makers.
I carry my S3 in a shirt pocket. When it won't fit in one, I have a slide in belt holster like Brian's. Bought 2 of them for $14 on the bay.
Never put a smart phone in a pants pocket. That just isn't very smart.