PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Router Bit and Adapter Bushing

Robert Hazelwood
02-22-2015, 9:58 PM
So, I've got a 3/8" endmill with a 3/8" by 1/2" adapter bushing stuck in my Bosch 1617 router. The collet nut will loosen and can be screwed all the way off, but the bit and bushing remain stuck. I think the bushing fell down into the collet while the bit was being installed - I can barely see it down in there. So it is probably bottomed out, although the bit isn't. I had previously installed this endmill with the adapter and it worked perfectly, but the adapter did not fall down into the collet.

I've been searching for solutions for a bit, and tried a few. Mostly I've been trying to see if I could spin the bit in the collet to help break it loose, so I've tried vise grips on the bit with wooden and with leather pads to protect the bit, but I can't get it to spin even a little. I've also tried re-installing and re-loosening the collet nut, but that didn't do anything. I can't really think of anything else besides prying on stuff or disassembling the router, which I'd rather not do.

Anyone got any ideas? This is a fairly new router, bought maybe 6 months ago, used pretty lightly. The endmill and adapter are brand new, this is the only the second time I've chucked them in the router. Everything is clean, so it's not a corrosion issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Robert

Shawn Pixley
02-22-2015, 10:36 PM
I've been able to free them by tapping the collet and bit on my workbench.

Charles Lent
02-23-2015, 6:12 AM
WD-40 helps, but be sure to completely clean it off the collet, bushing, and bit afterwards. Sideways tapping with a block of wood has almost always worked for me.

If you get the bit out and the bushing remains, a paint can opener with the end bent 90 deg can help. You reach down the hole and hook it on the back side of the bushing, then yank. Do this on alternate sides, probably multiple times. I hope your router shaft is bored with a cone shaped bottom. It left just enough space below my bushing for me to get the hook under it.

A rubber grommet or O ring the size of your router shaft hole will prevent this. Push the grommet or O ring all the way into the router shaft and then install the collet. If a but or bushing bottoms out it will be against this piece of rubber, preventing it from locking in place like this. I did this after my collet and bushing got stuck and haven't had the problem since (about 5 years).

Charley