PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Templates/Curved Ruler

Justin Ludwig
02-22-2015, 8:42 PM
While watching a video that Rod posted regarding a Hammer combo machine in another thread - they showed making a template with a "curved ruler" (the Euro-term used in the video) to make a cabriole leg. I had never seen a jig/flexible template like that. I searched and searched for variations of "curved ruler" to get another look, but to no avail.

Tonight, looking at aftermarket shaper fences, I stumbled across this: http://scosarg.com/cmt-flexible-template-18x18mm-l-2000mm.html

I found one on Amazon by CMT for $60 labeled Flexible Template.

My questions are: Are these durable and rigid? Worth it? If you make a lot of varying templates, what do you use/do? I'm always making new templates for toe valances, arched tops, top rails, dividers, etc. The $60 could be justified in one job.

I usually use 1/4 mdf or 1/2 plywood and have to OSS sand the curves meticulously until smooth and usable. Is there a better way? I'm always looking for better, faster, more accurate...

Max Neu
02-22-2015, 9:01 PM
I use various methods, but one thing that you might try is a "draw bow".I have used them to mark curves, or just hot glue it to your piece and flush trim with a router to save time from making a template.

Max Neu
02-22-2015, 9:07 PM
These are the ones I use. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=44631&cat=1,42936,50298

Mel Fulks
02-22-2015, 9:12 PM
Somebody else recently asked about that,can't remember if there were good reviews. I have over many years had to make many templates. Method I like best is to bandsaw to outside of line then sand circular patterns with 36 grit paper
and two blocks cut from the waste material about four inches long . For things elliptical I keep strips of materials of varying flexibility with 36 grit paper stuck on with double faced tape. Many use oscillating floor model sanders....but their
templates are more bumpy.

Justin Ludwig
02-23-2015, 1:23 AM
These are the ones I use. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=44631&cat=1,42936,50298

Thanks, Max, but I have no problems drawing the desired lines or designs into the template or material. I use trammels and my phone for finding the geometry. Messing with hot glue on the number of things I template in some jobs doesn't sound like fun, but I may try with 2 sided tape. Thanks for the tip.

Somebody else recently asked about that,can't remember if there were good reviews. I have over many years had to make many templates. Method I like best is to bandsaw to outside of line then sand circular patterns with 36 grit paper
and two blocks cut from the waste material about four inches long . For things elliptical I keep strips of materials of varying flexibility with 36 grit paper stuck on with double faced tape. Many use oscillating floor model sanders....but their
templates are more bumpy.

That's what I've been doing: band saw then OSS. Doesn't matter how smooth and fast (or slow) I run templates through those two machines, I still get little bumps or waves that I have to hand sand out. I hoping to cut down on the bumps/waves and save time from hand sanding them smooth.