PDA

View Full Version : Pics of workshop in progress

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 2:05 PM
As promised in previous threads, here are some pictures of my workshop. Please excuse the clutter and total disarray. I'm just getting started and have never put together a shop before. Please let me know if you have any suggestion no matter how trivial.

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii630/beeser1/Shop%20023.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii630/beeser1/Shop%20022_1.jpg

More to follow

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 2:42 PM
And here are pics of some of the equipment.

mike mcilroy
02-22-2015, 2:48 PM
Wow! So jealous of the space. Have fun with it.

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 4:26 PM
Wow! So jealous of the space. Have fun with it.
Thank for the compliment, I think. I know it's a real mess but it was originally used as an overflow area and storage. The total first floor area is about 2000 sq. ft. with almost half as much more on the mezzanine. I plan to extend the mezzanine in the front and back adding another 400-500 sq. ft. for storage. Hopefully I can get all of the remaining storage up there and eliminate the storage below altogether. The tractor and Jeep will eventually be relocated in their own house along with an RV. I've never had a shop before but my preliminary plans are to have the tablesaw positioned toward the back center with the drill press and band saw in the corners. It was suggested to me to position the planer and jointer along one of the walls. What's missing according to one suggestion is a large assembly table. I was thinking of putting that in front of the U-shaped benched area. Maybe a woodworking table would suffice for that purpose. Here are the last of my pics.

Jesse Busenitz
02-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Oh Boy!!!!!!!!! Green with envy here..... Looks like you have a good chunk of room to work with! A couple suggestions that I'd implement in my next shop would be, plenty of lighting, cabinets for storage vs open shelving for storage (keeps dust out and everything a little more orderly looking), good out feed/ infeed for all the tools (I have to move my 20" planner to break down sheet goods on my TS) which leads to, putting casters on most of the machinery, and a better dedicated area for storing more sheet goods and lumber. Have fun!!!!

Justin Coon
02-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Love that color green on your CJ. Just like everybody else...jealous of your space.

Yonak Hawkins
02-23-2015, 4:43 PM
It looks like you've got a lot to work with. I like that the wood stove is in the middle. Mine's in a corner and I have to have a fan to spread the heat. What's that hanging from the ceiling in the first pic ?

Be sure to post progress pics.

glenn bradley
02-23-2015, 4:51 PM
This is fun just tagging along.

Patrick McCarthy
02-23-2015, 8:52 PM
Insulate the walls, ceiling, etc and then do it again!

Steve Mathews
02-23-2015, 9:04 PM
...What's that hanging from the ceiling in the first pic ?

Be sure to post progress pics.

There's so much clutter it's hard to pinpoint something in the pic. What (color, foreground, left, right?) are you referring to?

Yonak Hawkins
02-23-2015, 11:09 PM
There's so much clutter it's hard to pinpoint something in the pic. What (color, foreground, left, right?) are you referring to?

It's in the top right corner. It looks like an owl. The very first pic.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-24-2015, 6:38 AM
Nice shop, and nice CJ. I would love a space like that.

Steve Mathews
02-24-2015, 1:32 PM

It's a CJ grille. I was planning to make a shop light out of it.

Patrick McCarthy
02-24-2015, 1:40 PM
It's a CJ grille. I was planning to make a shop light out of it.

Wrong photo: he is asking about the dead bird hanging from a ceiling joist over the red tool box, not the old grill hanging on the wall.

Keith Pleas
02-25-2015, 2:48 PM
Nice space! I would add that laying out DC would be a priority - either overhead or hung from joists. Running it along floor gets old quickly!

David Ragan
02-26-2015, 6:32 PM
I too am envious of all tbat room, and nice equipment
put in lots of outlets
what u gonna make?

Julie Moriarty
02-26-2015, 7:25 PM
Please let me know if you have any suggestion no matter how trivial.

Just one. An invitation to for all to come try it out. :D

Steve Rozmiarek
02-27-2015, 8:29 AM

Looks like a mallard to me.

Nice space! The best thing you can do with it is use it. Personally the happiest I've ever been in a woodshop was when I was building a project. If the shop becomes the project, it starts to take something away. Just my opinion, but I'd say don't worry so much about the perfect setup just yet. Tool up for some project and see where it takes the space. I say this from a frame of reference of setting up my fifth shop since I started. If you are using the upper level for storage, packing stuff up and down stairs is no fun. Might consider a way to get it up there without carrying it all. I like spaces like that mezzanine, they feel inspirational or something, personally I would use it as a thinking spot, ie coffee pot, computer, drafting table, radio, etc.