PDA

View Full Version : Remember to shovel your sidewalk...

Steve Wurster
02-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Well, I would, but this is what the plow guy did to mine. I cleared what I could with the snowthrower, including going around to the other side, but I don't think that big pile is going anywhere just yet.

Dave Anderson NH
02-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Sidewalk? What's a sidewalk? On the topic of snowplow guys, they got my mailbox again about 3 weeks ago. That makes 2 in 4 years. Grrrrr!

Jim Koepke
02-22-2015, 1:22 PM
they got my mailbox again about 3 weeks ago. That makes 2 in 4 years. Grrrrr!

Can you set it up with a base about a foot high of concrete? The guy might hit it one more time, but that would be the last.

If all else fails, land mines! :eek:

jtk

Keith Outten
02-22-2015, 2:39 PM
Move to the country, its a simple task for a tractor with a front end loader.

BTW you cannot reinforce your mailbox beyond what is considered reasonable and customary. Several court cases in the past have found homeowners guilty of causing children to be injured when they were playing mailbox baseball and got hurt when they destroyed their mailbox. This is a topic that is pretty common on the welding forums.

Bert Kemp
02-22-2015, 2:59 PM
Well I think concrete reinforcement is reasonable when the plow truck keeps wiping it out or the kids keep playing baseball with ti LOL :p

Kent A Bathurst
02-22-2015, 3:03 PM
You guys completely lost me. I have no idea of what you speak.......... :confused:

Mike Cutler
02-22-2015, 3:33 PM
You guys completely lost me. I have no idea of what you speak.......... :confused:

Kent
There is an age old battle between homeowners and plow drivers. The homeowner spends money and time to put up a nice mailbox and the plow guy wipes it out in the winter time. In the springtime you go to the town and unsuccessfully try to get them to pay for your mailbox. It's a tradition here in New England.:D
Keith is right though, if you reinforce that mailbox so that it damages a plow, you may end up paying for the damage to the plow.
A mail box on a swing post works well, mine is,but the box itself can still get whacked.
Our plow guy is aware of the mailbox. SO much so that he angles his plow blade away from it on the first pass, and on the return plows everything to the opposite side of the street, or more succinctly, both passes end up in my driveway.:roll eyes:

I don't have any sidewalks to shovel, but I've spent two days on the roof(s) clearing snow, and then moving it away from the house. I am tired right now.

Myk Rian
02-22-2015, 4:20 PM
This will keep everyone away from it.

Kent A Bathurst
02-22-2015, 4:57 PM
This will keep everyone away from it.

The always-reliable Myk................ :p :p

Kent A Bathurst
02-22-2015, 5:00 PM
Kent
There is an age old battle between homeowners and plow drivers.

MIke - I get it. Thanks for the explanation.

I have to tell you, though - mine was a wise-guy-from-Atlanta cheap shot about the entire concept of shoveling snow. ;)

Myk Rian
02-22-2015, 5:01 PM
The always-reliable Myk................ :p :pLOL.
What I'm wondering is if a plow pushed that from the other side of the road. That's illegal in Michigan.

Jerome Stanek
02-22-2015, 5:38 PM
We had our box damaged one year and much to our surprise the township came with a new one even though we never filed a claim. They said that they knew that it was one of their plows that destroyed it.

Keith Outten
02-22-2015, 6:20 PM
I lived in Oswego NY for two Winters about three blocks from the edge of lake Ontario in the mid 1980's. The annual snowfall at that time was 326" per year. I saw so many mailboxes destroyed I couldn't believe it, the plows can't see the mailboxes after the first few snowfalls. Street signs up there must be at least ten to twelve feet tall :)

We moved to Oswego in late May and the state had just started disassembling the plows for Summer maintenance. Even when the plows were disassembled they were huge and I had to ask someone what the heck they were. Once the guy at work stopped laughing at me he told me they were snow plows and when they were reassembled in the fall I would recognize them which I didn't.....we don't have snow plows the size of small Navy ships here in Virginia. I later found out that Oswego County owns more snow plows than exist south of the Mason Dixon Line. The largest plows can clear 8 lanes at a time and they look like a football stadium coming down the road with huge lights that can make dark disappear :)

The temperature in Oswego at the time averaged about -30 degrees F around the clock all winter long so the snow never went away. It was white all Winter long and that was something else I never dreamed existed. Geez I got an education during my time in Oswego, I could tell you some very funny stories about the Winter weather education Southern Boys received from the Yankees in upstate NY :)

Phil Thien
02-22-2015, 7:30 PM
Move to the country, its a simple task for a tractor with a front end loader.

And give-up the filth, noise, and crime?

Myk Rian
02-22-2015, 8:22 PM
This is what is needed. A swing away mailbox.
http://www.mailswing.com/

Up nort mitchigin they install the mailboxes on a 10' long swingarm.

Keith Outten
02-22-2015, 8:39 PM
Phil, when you cross the Coleman Bridge from Yorktown into Gloucester County Virginia the temperature drops 5 degrees and the crime rate drops 80%. I enjoy living in a rural area even though I grew up in the city. Jackie and I are planning on the biggest garden we have ever had this year.

Myk, the swinging mailbox is pretty slick I wonder if it would survive a direct hit from a baseball bat?

Ole Anderson
02-23-2015, 3:45 PM
LOL.
What I'm wondering is if a plow pushed that from the other side of the road. That's illegal in Michigan.

Illegal, yes, but every private snow removal contractor around here does it. If they were pushing someone else's driveway snow across the road onto my lawn, taking the sod with it, I would get pretty ticked.

Dave Anderson NH
02-23-2015, 4:04 PM
My town, Chester NH, still has this ordinance on the books. "It is illegal to place snow upon a public way except that which is sufficient to allow the passage of a horse drawn sleigh."

Steve Wurster
02-23-2015, 4:30 PM
Well, my township ordinance says, "No snow shall be deposited on a fire hydrant, sidewalk or roadway." The township is the one that does the plowing, so I guess the operator forgot about this clause.

Dan Hintz
02-23-2015, 5:10 PM
It may take a few more snows before I get all up in arms, but the local snowplow hire is beginning a record for number of times he blocked my driveway with snow from the neighbor's driveways. I think it's because I chose not to pay him and do it myself. But if it continues, I'm going to have a nice word with him.

In my neighborhood, it appears you haven't "arrived" until someone has taken down your mailbox or you've taken down someone else's. Two were down the first snowfall, we lost a third on the second snowfall... didn't see any new ones with the most recent fall.

Lee Schierer
02-23-2015, 6:00 PM
LOL.

That was my thought as well or else the plow guy had a load in the dump part of the truck, backed up and dumped a load of snow from somewhere else on his sidewalk without bothering the neighbors.

Lee Schierer
02-23-2015, 6:06 PM
On the topic of snowplow guys, they got my mailbox again about 3 weeks ago. That makes 2 in 4 years. Grrrrr!

My mail box is mounted on a hinged triangular frame with a couple of gate closer springs between the frame and the supporting post which is well clear of the road. When the plow hits it, and they do at least 2-3 times a week, it simply swings out of the way and then comes right back into position once the plow is past. The only time it doesn't swing back is when the snow ridge gets so high it gets buried and I then have to dig it out so it is ready for the mail man or the next plow guy. It also resists the kids with the baseball bats. I've had the same mail box for several years.

Jim Matthews
02-23-2015, 6:48 PM
http://ikoupon.com/images/p_80_Halifax-Beer-Cooler_207.jpg

Ice storm? Parking lot on I-75?

Repressed memory? For Hotlanta, that was a disaster.
For those of us 'Uppa heya' it's known as 'Tuesday'.