PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing Newb Buying Mistakes

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Welll, it looks like I made the typical newb buying mistakes when it comes to cabinet saws. After taking a closer look at the saw yesterday it appears that the bearings are in need of replacement and the top is not as flat as it probably should be. Also, the missing parts that I thought would be easy to replace are not readily available. There are probably more problems that I haven't discovered yet. The first thing I have to correct are the bearings. I didn't hear them scream when buying the saw but it was very noticeable yesterday with the guard removed. Strange that I didn't hear it before. When I place a straight edge on the top at various positions I'm able to see daylight in some spots. Could this be the result of not having the saw level? It's temporarily sitting lopsided on a dolly.

Bill White
02-22-2015, 11:35 AM
It would help us help you if we knew what saw you bought, and some pics would be helpful.
Bearings are no big deal to replace unless they might be bushings (which I doubt). Leveling the table is an exercise in being careful.
Show us what you've gotten.
Bill

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-22-2015, 11:37 AM
What brand is the saw? Bearings aren't too hard to replace. I would place the saw on a flat surface before checking the top.

Bill Adamsen
02-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Bearings are a recurring replacement item ... nothing to be intimidated by. You'll have the pleasure of dramatically improving your tool with minimal investment and just a small amount of "sweat equity." I have either replaced the bearings on almost every stationary tool I have ... or think I should be replacing them. Let us know what you have and I'm sure you'll get more useful feedback.

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 12:02 PM
My apologies, the Unisaw is a 36-945 with a 50" Biesemeyer Fence System. I'll post pictures of it later today. I did a little research on the bearing replacement so far and it seems doable or I can send the appropriate sub-assembly and have it done. Is there any benefits with the later? Also, if I end up doing it myself what bearings are recommended. I understand that there are good and not so good ones available.

Jim Andrew
02-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Do you have a NAPA store nearby? Most likely they would stock the bearings, and you can ask for the best quality available. My experience with car parts is NAPA has better quality parts, and also an upper level of parts. When we had a John Deere dealer locally, I used to take my bearings there for replacements. Clean up the old ones and they have numbers on them. If you need a puller, Autozone will charge you a deposit and let you use one. You get your deposit back if you return it.

David Kumm
02-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Look up the bearing numbers and determine if sealed or shielded, probably sealed. SKF is a hard to beat brand and their Explorer series are a good upgrade for not much cost. NSK and NTN are good too if SKF isn't an easy find. FAG and Fafnir are up there with SKF but harder to source locally. Standard clearance for spindle bearings, C3 for motor bearings. Dave

Bill Adamsen
02-22-2015, 1:06 PM
Steve that's a great saw and fence combo. Very versatile. Saw your original post (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?227701-First-Unisaw-Purchase) and I think at that price you did extremely well. With the bearings replaced you've got a great tool.

You'll likely need the arbor shaft lock wrench. Mine is the older "short style" number 7810129. Looks like they're widely available new (part# 36-0101) in a longer version which would be very handy. It's fairly thin, so likely were you to buy an open end wrench to do the same thing, some grinding would be required. I'd probably buy a quality closed end wrench for the outside nut.

Just my working style, I would not waste any time hunting down those other items ... except maybe the riving knife (splitter). For miters, build a sled.

CPeter James
02-22-2015, 1:51 PM
You need to go to the OWWM.org web site. They are into old woodworking machines and can give you all the help you will need. The bearings on that saw are not expensive and they have a good source that many of the member use. Also you probably want to replace the bearings in the motor and new belts at the same time. Changing the arbor bearings is not hard, but there are some issues that you need to be aware of to not break the trunnion casting. (I have a PM66 and not a UNI so not totally familiar with this) There is nothing that can be wrong with this saw that can't be fixed at a reasonable cost. I will repeat about going to the OWWM.org web site as being your most import move BEFORE you get started on this machine. They have the manuals, parts break downs and tons of information on this machine.

CPeter

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 1:55 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of the Unisaw I just purchased. The extension table and Biesemeyer fence were removed to begin repairs. I will be posting some pictures of the shop in the Workshops section.

CPeter James
02-22-2015, 1:58 PM
So, how much did you pay for this saw?

CPeter

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 2:45 PM
So, how much did you pay for this saw?

CPeter

As mentioned in another thread, $800.

Brian Henderson
02-22-2015, 5:16 PM
As mentioned in another thread, $800.

Which is a really good price. Replacing bearings isn't difficult, in fact, if you keep any saw long enough, you'll do it a couple of times. People have provided some really good advice already, the last time I replaced bearings, I went the NAPA route, just took the old bearings into the local store, they set me up with new bearings that worked even better. As for the tabletop, you can't really judge flatness until you get it on the ground. The wings are adjustable so you can get a flat top.

CPeter James
02-22-2015, 6:11 PM
You got a good deal!!

CPeter

Myk Rian
02-22-2015, 6:18 PM
My apologies, the Unisaw is a 36-945 with a 50" Biesemeyer Fence System. I'll post pictures of it later today. I did a little research on the bearing replacement so far and it seems doable or I can send the appropriate sub-assembly and have it done. Is there any benefits with the later? Also, if I end up doing it myself what bearings are recommended. I understand that there are good and not so good ones available.
Those of us that restore vintage machines get bearings from Accurate bearing. Lynne is very helpful, and a pleasure to do business with. I would not go to an auto parts store for something as critical as an arbor bearing set. They ship same day.

Kent A Bathurst
02-22-2015, 6:38 PM
Those of us that restore vintage machines get bearings from Accurate bearing. Lynne is very helpful, and a pleasure to do business with. I would not go to an auto parts store for something as critical as an arbor bearing set. They ship same day.

^^^^^^^^^
do this

Chris Parks
02-22-2015, 6:46 PM
Are you sure it is bearing noise? Start the saw and spray or pour water on the belts and see if the noise stops.

CPeter James
02-22-2015, 6:49 PM

I pushed that earlier, but it seemed to fall on deft ears.

CPeter

CPeter James
02-22-2015, 6:51 PM
Do be careful removing the old bearings. It is really easy to crack the trunnion if you go about it the wrong way. Do find out the correct way before you break something.

CPeter

Bruce Wrenn
02-22-2015, 9:41 PM
Bearings will be 6203 2 RS, same as contractor's saw. This most likely the most common bearing in usage. Because they fit so many things, I order them in bags of ten