PDA

View Full Version : lathe sanding dust pickup

joe zarnitz
07-29-2005, 7:59 PM
looking for ideas for a design to hold a 7" hose for sandingdust pickup---tks,joe

Carole Valentine
07-29-2005, 10:59 PM
You'd laugh at my setup! A box fan with a pleated filter and a fiber filter attached to it with big rubberbands. Sits on a stool behind the lathe. Sure grabs the sanding dust though.:D

Steven Wilson
07-31-2005, 12:24 PM
I had Oneida make a larger dust hood with a 5" port on the back. I then used one of the ceiling mounted dust hood arms from Rockler and used the larger dust hood on it. I pipe it with some 5" flex and 5" duct and then that transitions down to 6" and 7" pipe later in the run. It's very effective at getting the dust, especially cork dust which really bothers me (I make fishing rods)

Earl Eyre
08-01-2005, 12:44 AM
I now have a Powermatic 3520 instead of this ol' Delta but dust collector is the same. Works great but does take a little room behind the lathe. It uses a "Big Gulp" that you can buy just about anywhere that sells dust collector stuff.
Earl

Dominic Greco
08-01-2005, 9:29 PM
I went down and dirty for this. But believe it or not, it works pretty well.

The 4 wheeled base if from an old office chair. The pipe is 4" sewer pipe with an insert made from the same material, only cut down a might so that it will fit inside one end of the pipe. The insert allows me to telescope the pickup closer to my work. This is nice when I'm turning pens and stoppers.