PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Steve Mathews
02-21-2015, 9:37 PM
The Unisaw (36-945) that I just purchased has this attached to the rear trunnion. Is this for a riving knife? It doesn't show up on the parts diagram.

Jeff Duncan
02-21-2015, 9:48 PM
That looks a lot like an add-on splitter attachment I think made by Beis though not sure? I have one on my Unisaw as well. May still be available though again not sure? They are handy since you can pop them in when needed.

JeffD

Ethan Melad
02-21-2015, 9:51 PM
Its a Biesemeyer splitter assembly, probably #78-961
edit: Jeff beat me...

Steve Mathews
02-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Thanks! I searched online using the number above and it looks exactly like what's on my Unisaw. Apparently this is a discontinued item. Is it worthwhile trying to find the parts needed for it? If not, is there an available alternative?

Rick Whitehead
02-21-2015, 11:44 PM
Thanks! I searched online using the number above and it looks exactly like what's on my Unisaw. Apparently this is a discontinued item. Is it worthwhile trying to find the parts needed for it? If not, is there an available alternative?
Yes, I think it would be worthwhile to see if you can find the missing splitter and anti-kickback pawls.
I have one of these on my Powermatic 66 at work, and it works well.
Hope you can find one!
Rick

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 9:36 AM
Yes, I think it would be worthwhile to see if you can find the missing splitter and anti-kickback pawls.
I have one of these on my Powermatic 66 at work, and it works well.
Hope you can find one!
Rick

Is there a source for these other than eBay?

Mike Goetzke
02-22-2015, 9:45 AM
There is a site dedicated to old arn - owwm . You can try there, but, I restored a 1950's Uni recently and I bought a Shark Guard (splitter/guard/anti-kickback paws/above table dust port).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Delta%20OldUnisaw/Shark%20Guard/IMG_0015_zpsbd91f784.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mbg/media/My%20Tools/Delta%20OldUnisaw/Shark%20Guard/IMG_0015_zpsbd91f784.jpg.html)

Mike

Larry Fox
02-22-2015, 9:55 AM
Shark guard sells a guard that slips right into that Bies splitter holder. I had one on a Unitas that I used to own and it was a really nice piece. If you don't go with a shark guard it is def worth trying to find a splitter in my opinion.

Jerry Olexa
02-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a line from Tom Silva on "Ask this old house". :)

Steve Mathews
02-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Shark guard sells a guard that slips right into that Bies splitter holder. I had one on a Unitas that I used to own and it was a really nice piece. If you don't go with a shark guard it is def worth trying to find a splitter in my opinion.

That sounds like a good alternative since I haven't found any Biesemeyer replacement parts yet. I also like the complete Shark Guard (splitter/guard/anti-kickback paws/above table dust port) but I don't have the original Delta splitter bracket that I understand is required. I'm having a hard time navigating Leeway's website for pricing and availability but will press on. I will be posting another comment about my newb purchase including a few embarrassing discoveries.

Steve Mathews
02-23-2015, 3:39 PM
Thanks again for the heads up. I contacted Leeway to be put on the waiting list for the parts. They seem to make some very nice stuff.