PDA

View Full Version : Acme National Model 2C woodworking edge sander.

tom van sickle
02-21-2015, 7:50 PM
Hi again, have a chance to pick one of these up. Belt size is only 2 1/4" wide. Can this machine be fitted for a belt 4 or 6" wide? Thank you, Tom.

Keith Weber
02-21-2015, 11:20 PM
Sorry, I can't help with your question, but now I'm picturing Wile E. Coyote modifying an ACME edge sander with a 6" belt to use as a makeshift propulsion drive for a scooter to chase the Road Runner!

Bill Orbine
02-21-2015, 11:48 PM
Have you looked into Vintage Machinery? Here's a PDF about the Acme National from that web site: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/10/4081.pdf

You'll note Acme National also made model 4C with 4" belts. It just might be possible to go to 4" if maybe the basic framework of machine is the same. Not only you'd need the wheels, you also need to think about the platen. I don't know about 6".

Tony Joyce
02-22-2015, 9:50 AM
Hi again, have a chance to pick one of these up. Belt size is only 2 1/4" wide. Can this machine be fitted for a belt 4 or 6" wide? Thank you, Tom.

Not sure if my Acme is a 2C(bought as a door lip sander), It has a 6 digit number on it but, no model# I could find. It uses a 2-1/4" x 80" belt. I buy 6" wide belts and split them(2pcs 3" wide). The drive and idler wheels are 3" wide(height). So for mine 3" max belt width.

Tony

Based on Bill's link mine is the 2C, Besides the 4C being wider it also has a larger motor. The mount for the platen on the 2C could be easily be modified for a 4" belt.

Steven Satur
02-22-2015, 1:04 PM
Like Tony said get the 6" and split them a lot cheaper