PDA

View Full Version : Pistachio wood bowl

Ryan Mooney
02-21-2015, 3:14 PM
Returned from a rough out I got from my cousin at highwestwood. Really interesting grain, he'd centered the rough out on the graft (both sides are pistachio - although different varieties - I have no idea which was up/down or the varieties).

This is my first exposure to pistachio wood, and I have to say its really quite nice to work with. Really quite hard but machines beautifully and fairly easy to polish up. I scored some other reject guitar fretboard pieces of it for carving kitchenware on which I'm quite anticipating doing now based on how well this piece worked out (its hard enough I was sort of dreading it before but it cuts so nice). The grain and color texture is pretty amazing as well.

9 1/2" across, 3" deep wall at about 3/16 with a 1/4" bead on the rim.

Doug Herzberg
02-21-2015, 3:39 PM
Bowl looks nice, Ryan. The graft would have scared me a little. No trouble?

David Delo
02-21-2015, 5:24 PM
Never seen anything like it. Very interesting contrast for sure and like the overall form.

Ryan Mooney
02-21-2015, 6:13 PM
Bowl looks nice, Ryan. The graft would have scared me a little. No trouble?

It looks like it should be a bit hairy, but its plumb smooth and solid there. Its not actually a crack at all but just a stain line at the join. I'd expect the end grain to go before the graft would.

Jim Seyfried
02-21-2015, 6:48 PM
Very cool bowl Ryan! I think the graft line makes the wood outstanding and very unique. Nice bead on the rim too.

Reed Gray
02-21-2015, 8:47 PM
I was drooling over just the pistachio wood, then you mentioned pistachio fret boards..... I saw one piece of it some years back. It was striped like Brazilian tulip wood, cream and pistachio green. I can imagine it on a guitar...

robo hippy

Steve Huffman
02-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Love the shape and the colors are just spectacular to me. Just the kind of piece that makes wood turning fun and exciting....nice job!

Michelle Rich
02-22-2015, 5:32 AM
what a nice bowl..the graft sure is eye catching. the shape & rim are delightful

Rob Boesem
02-22-2015, 6:48 PM
Man, that's a great piece!!...VERY unique!!....Well done!