PDA

View Full Version : Free Black Birch Turning Blanks

Rob Russell
07-29-2005, 5:42 PM
We had a couple of black birch trees taken down in our yard. I had the main tree guy save me butt logs from the 2 trees so I could rip them in half with my chain saw and - if it was worth it - saw some boards out of the 1/2-logs with my bandsaw.

One of the tree guys idiot helpers cut up the bigger and better of the clearly marked butt logs into firewood length. From what I saw when splitting those into firewood, it was a clear log and wuld have made some nice lumber. He didn't cut up the other butt log, but when I ripped it in half it didn't look quite clear enough for me to make boards out of it.

I cut the 1/2 logs into fire wood length and said - ya know, those look like bowl blanks.

So - I have 10 black birch blanks for anyone who wants them. I don't think this is anything worth shipping, so most likely it'll be the local folks who get these. We'll split these as evenly as possible. If only 1 or 2 folks take the blanks, it'd be nice if one of them became a bowl for my wife as a keepsake from the trees we took down.

PM or email me.

Some pics are attached.

Rob

Pat Salter
07-29-2005, 10:38 PM
WOW, free blanks! :eek: All I have to do is pick them up. hmmm, let me check mapquest......Fallbrook, Ca to South Windsor, Ct.....oops, 2931.76 miles. hm how do I explain this to wife..... :rolleyes: Well, Ok, I'll let this one go. Maybe the next one though.

Man, I love guys like you. Even though I won't get any, thanks big time. Make sure the tree guy knows that his rocket scientist messed up. :cool:

Ernie Kuhn
08-05-2005, 4:30 PM
Rob,
If I still lived in Meriden, I'd be up in a heart beat.
Ernie

Keith Burns
08-05-2005, 5:28 PM
I live to far away as well but I definately appreciate the gesture. It's guys like you that restore my faith in humanity.

John Hart
08-05-2005, 7:28 PM
Very nice of you Rob... I hope you get some takers. It sure would be a shame to see them go up in smoke.