PDA

View Full Version : laser tube illuminates red instead of uv

jeremy goode
02-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Fresh install of brand new tube, color isn't normal. Anyone have this problem before? Not engraving like a brand new tube.

Dave Sheldrake
02-21-2015, 8:17 AM
Red,Purple,Blue,Pink....not much between them really, it all depends on the level of contamination or purity in the gas mix Jeremy. Check the current being driven to make sure it's not too high, DC's tend to move toward red plasma when the current is over the top.

cheers

Dave

Ed Maloney
02-21-2015, 12:06 PM
What brand of laser?

jeremy goode
04-17-2015, 5:45 PM
It's a 5th gen Hobby Laser. The tube is still going but I suspect it wasn't a quality tube. Really needing advice on the best company to buy replacement tubes from.

Mike Troncalli
04-17-2015, 5:56 PM
I am assuming since you said it is a 5th generation hobby you are meaning a 5th Generation Full Spectrum laser.. If so then Lightobject is a good company with a good reputation... Or ebay... I have purchased from lightobject and have been very pleased.

Dave Sheldrake
04-17-2015, 9:46 PM
Low end tubes don't vary in quality by much to be honest.

GoldenLaser
YongLi
TongLi

etc etc

all pretty much the same. The only big difference in that power range is the Coherant tubes but they cost as much as 150 watt ++ Chinese tubes.Golden Laser 40 watt are pretty good and not usually over rated.

Makes little difference who you buy from though, any of the *better* sellers will supply the same brands just rebadged for them so I'd go by price and service to be honest.
Ignore all the catalysed / pre-ionised garbage....it's just sales hype in cheap tubes with low end controllers. Gold and PVD coatings are used on high end tubes like the SLC series from GSI and the big EFR units with good science behind them, on small tubes (read: cheap) it's just a sales pitch ;)

walter hofmann
04-18-2015, 5:26 AM
hi all
my experience with laser tubes is that the tubes are made at "north branch" are the best I have two over three years and both lasted way over 2.000 hours with power out put new close to 45 W and at the end still around 35W.
the major difference is the way how exact the glass chambers and mirror / lens are glued on.
greetings
waltfl