PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing lg burl slab

Barry Block
02-20-2015, 7:35 PM
Hi All,

I've been contracted to source and finish a Large slab burl table top. The dimensions need to be a minimum of 60 inches in diameter 70 inches max. It needs to be as round as possible. Type of wood can vary provided its georgeous. Any one have some leads or companies out there that I didn't come across on the web?

Jamie Buxton
02-20-2015, 8:03 PM
A single piece of burl solid lumber 60 inches in diameter? Good luck. Instead, look into burl veneer, which you piece together to get a table that size.

Jerry Wright
02-20-2015, 8:39 PM
Check Berkshire Products in MA. They have huge stocks and are friendly to work with.

Jerry

Barry Block
02-20-2015, 9:50 PM
A single piece of burl solid lumber 60 inches in diameter? Good luck. Instead, look into burl veneer, which you piece together to get a table that size.

I work with burl vaneer all the time, however that is not what the client wants and money is not an issue which is why I asked for slab suppliers not alternatives but thanks.

Barry Block
02-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Check Berkshire Products in MA. They have huge stocks and are friendly to work with.

Jerry

thank you, they have a few Maple burls that might fit the bill.

Jerry Wright
02-21-2015, 3:25 AM
Barry - Berkshire products only has a portion of their inventory pictured on line. If you are within driving distance, they are worth a trip. Also, you can call or email them with your requirements and they will look for you. The place is huge.

Mark Levitski
02-21-2015, 5:32 PM
Hearne Hardwoods

Sam Murdoch
02-21-2015, 8:24 PM

Jerry

I have purchased from Berkshire Products for several projects. I have bought from the web site and been to their mill/yard twice. They have great product. It is an amaZing experience walking through their buildings and sorting through slabs - some worth $10/20 thousands or more.

Having said that - purchasing on line requires some care on your part. The photos don't really give the complete condition picture and so you really need to talk to someone about a specific item and have the Berkshire rep looking at the piece they are talking to you about. This requires some advance notice as the building and their contents are not very easy to access. Some sales person won't just walk out to the specific item and they surely will not know off the top of their heads what you are asking about.

On one order I sent them a photo (off their web site and enlarged for clarity) of a slab that I asked them to cut into 3 lengths for ease of shipping and handling on my end. I drew dark black lines on the image with specific dimensions as to what length each section should be cut to. I received the slab cut up BUT - whoever did the crosscutting just started at one end cutting 3 pieces to the dimensions I asked without regard to my drawing. They just cut big to small. The last piece in the length was short and useless as a result. Nothing to do at that point. They offered free shipping on my next order :rolleyes:.

This is a cautionary tale. I like Berkshire Products - their pricing is competitive, they are very willing to help, and am very impressed with their inventory and accessible web sight. Just know what you are asking for.