PDA

View Full Version : Tool Covers - Preventing Rust

Ian Scofield
02-20-2015, 7:11 PM
I am putting a protective coating on my tools, but wanted to put a cover on them as well which will help in cutting down on the amount of condensation building up on the surface.

Don't want to spend a fortune and HF sells both canvas drop cloths and moving blankets. Would either of these be a good option? Is there a better option that's not ridiculously priced?

Mel Fulks
02-20-2015, 7:25 PM
That sounds pretty economical. Only other things I can think of are fabric store dollar a yard close outs,and thrift store
blankets....this is the SECOND time this week that I have reccommended thrift store blankets...so BUY NOW! Before prices
sky rocket!

Jim Andrew
02-20-2015, 7:38 PM
I find keeping a little heat in your shop works. I set my thermostat at 45, and no rust.

Ray Newman
02-20-2015, 7:41 PM
HTC Tool Saver Covers! Been using them for 20+ years and my machineshave never rusted, even up here in the rainy North West. An old time machinist recommended them and he did not steer me wrong.
The HTC covers allow the metal to breathe and do not trap the moisture, which will cause rust. Tarps, plastic drop cloths, cloth furniture blankets, etc., trap the moisture and condensation and cause rust.

Good machinery is not inexpensive and it is a false economy to provide insufficient protection.
Found the covers that I have on Amazon:
www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9072-Saver-72-Inch-Machine/dp/B000022628 (http://www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9072-Saver-72-Inch-Machine/dp/B000022628)
www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9056-Machine-36-Inch-56-Inch/dp/B000022627 (http://www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9056-Machine-36-Inch-56-Inch/dp/B000022627)

As Jim Andrew posted, a bit of heat will also help out a great deal.

Ian Scofield
02-20-2015, 7:42 PM
I find keeping a little heat in your shop works. I set my thermostat at 45, and no rust.

Unfortunately my shop is in an apartment garage so no heat source and I don't wanna go out and splurge for an electric/gas heater and I can't insulate it since I can't make drastic modifications. Someday though that will definitely be the easy solution!

That sounds pretty economical. Only other things I can think of are fabric store dollar a yard close outs,and thrift store
blankets....this is the SECOND time this week that I have reccommended thrift store blankets...so BUY NOW! Before prices
sky rocket!

That's what I was thinking. Between those two, which would you lean more too? The canvas drop cloth is more porous so I was thinking moving blankets since they're a little thicker and won't allow cold air to permeate as easily.

Ian Scofield
02-20-2015, 7:45 PM
HTC Tool Saver Covers! Been using them for 20+ years and my machineshave never rusted, even up here in the rainy North West. An old time machinist recommended them and he did not steer me wrong.
The HTC covers allow the metal to breathe and do not trap the moisture, which will cause rust. Tarps, plastic drop cloths, cloth furniture blankets, etc., trap the moisture and condensation and cause rust.

Good machinery is not inexpensive and it is a false economy to provide insufficient protection.
Found the covers that I have on Amazon:
www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9072-Saver-72-Inch-Machine/dp/B000022628 (http://www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9072-Saver-72-Inch-Machine/dp/B000022628)
www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9056-Machine-36-Inch-56-Inch/dp/B000022627 (http://www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9056-Machine-36-Inch-56-Inch/dp/B000022627)

As Jim Andrew posted, a bit of heat will also help out a great deal.

I've seen a lot of people mention those. Man they're pricey! I may have to look around craigslist or eBay

Mel Fulks
02-20-2015, 7:56 PM
I would at least check with fabric stores,because if they have something you will not feel that laundering is necessary. Not
too long ago the local Habitat For Humanity store had a bunch of cheap bolts of donated cloth.

Ray Newman
02-20-2015, 8:13 PM
Mel Fulks: before I purchased the HTC covers, I covered 2-3 old rolling tool cabinets with a plastic tarp and cloth drop cloths. At the time I was living in California and all the tool cabinets rusted where the worn off paint exposed the metal as the cloth and plastic trapped the moisture.

If you leave a towel or paper out in a unheated garage/shed when it rains or over the winter and after a while, you be able to feel the dampness.

Mel Fulks
02-20-2015, 9:06 PM
Without the plastic I think his idea will work ok. His requirement is to stay inexpensive and he is willing to spray stuff.

Ian Scofield
02-20-2015, 9:19 PM
I may splurge for one of he HTC covers to just run a comparison test between it and using the cavas drop cloth. Contrary to my previous post it seems that would be better as it would allow air to circulate unlike the plastic drop cloth. (Thanks for that consideration).

Thanks for the replies and advice guys

Bruce Wrenn
02-21-2015, 12:15 PM
I would go with the HF drop cloths and some drawer liner from Lowes. The drawer liner emits a vapor to prevent rust, and drop cloth would allow surface to breathe. But best secret is to keep surfaces at a temp higher than dew point.