PDA

View Full Version : Best Spokesperson for Woodturning?

Russell Neyman
02-20-2015, 6:10 PM
Our club's 25th Anniversary is coming up, and we'd like to have a top-name turner come address our group and help us celebrate. Now, we're not necessarily looking for a demonstration, just someone who can come, speak about the craft, and make the evening extra special. And -- oh, yes -- we'll have to be able to afford this individual.
So, what are the nominations from the floor and what are your thoughts on the subject?

I have my own ideas, but I'll wait to see what the Creek has to say.

Event is the last week in October, 2015.

Glen Blanchard
02-20-2015, 7:34 PM
I bet Tim Yoder would be very entertaining.

charlie knighton
02-20-2015, 8:17 PM
mostly I am an east coast guy but when on the left hand coast......

how about Tom Wirsing.......

if interested, send pm....I have an email address.......I would endorse him

Thom Sturgill
02-20-2015, 9:08 PM
Contact the AAW and see if they can send a representative.

Russell Neyman
02-20-2015, 10:11 PM
I bet Tim Yoder would be very entertaining.

We looked into Tim Yoder, but I understand he isn't available. Does anyone have direct contact information for him?

Wally Dickerman
02-20-2015, 10:53 PM
David Ellsworth but Penn. is a long way from Olympia. Wa

John Keeton
02-21-2015, 6:56 AM
If I had the opportunity, I would love to hear the history of the re-emergence of woodturning in the 20th century from Wally Dickerman. With Wally's 70+ years of turning, he has seen it all - aside from having produced a mass of collectible turnings and meeting most all of the notables, he knows more about turning than most of us combined.

Alan Trout
02-21-2015, 9:11 AM
Molly Winton or Doug fisher are both very close to your club and some of the most creative turners in the country and just great people to be around.

Dale Gillaspy
02-21-2015, 9:12 AM
You might also consider Dale Larson. He is not far from you and just finished his term as AAW President.

Kim Gibbens
02-21-2015, 9:21 AM
You can e-mail Tim Yoder through his website.

http://wtwtim.com/

Ralph Lindberg
02-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Molly will be there next month and has been there several times, as I understand our club was the first she did a program for.

Ralph Lindberg
02-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Dale does a great program and has been there twice I can recall

Ralph Lindberg
02-21-2015, 11:02 AM
True, he was out to three years ago for the Olympia Symposium and several days of classes

Steve Jenkins
02-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Having met Wally I too would toss his name in the hat. Very personable,great story teller and a wealth of knowledge.

Jason Edwards
02-21-2015, 11:26 AM
+1 for Dale Larson or Tom Wirsing, since you are probably and AAW chapter, and both have had a long history with the AAW. Molly and Doug will also both give great artistic presentations. I've seen all four and you won't go wrong. Yoder is very entertaining too if he's anything in person like he is in his videos.

Scott Hackler
02-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Oooh, that is an interesting question. Wally wold make for a very interesting speaker, if he's up for it. What a perspective his years lend upon the various changes in our craft.

Others that might be concidered would be a few folks that I have personally seen do a demonstration and I noted that some of the individuals just have that ability to captivate an audience and I am not just talking about the lathe running! Ones that I found interesting were Doug Fisher (he has traveled the world), Jimmy Clewes (great sense of humor and can always give a good "tale"), Ellsworth is just a given. David could most certainly enlighten the group.

Good luck with your search and let us knwo how it goes.

Reed Gray
02-22-2015, 11:52 AM
You might try Nick Stagg. You can talk to him at the Oregon Woodturning Symposium.

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Wow - a lot of great names are being suggested! If I were able to attend your meeting, the one person I would want to hear from - more than any of the others - would be Wally Dickerman. Wally has helped many of us become better turners through his classes, online critiques and the examples of his amazing body of work! Seeing as how he is moving to Oregon, I would think it would be a lot easier to talk him into a short trip to Washington!!

Good luck with your anniversary meeting! Please take some photos of the event to share with those of us unable to attend!

Russell Neyman
02-22-2015, 8:00 PM
Wonderful input, and we will follow up. Wally and I banter back and forth from time to time, and I'll be in his area next month so perhaps we can meet face to face. Again,
Creekers, thanks for the suggestions.

Scott Lux
02-24-2015, 2:08 PM
+1 on Wally. He is a treasure to our art/craft.

Russell Neyman
04-20-2015, 7:49 PM
Can someone please send Wally's phone number to by Personal Message? I understand he has moved from Arizona to Portland, Oregon, and I'd like to get together with him to discuss this.