PDA

View Full Version : My "new" CL Flammables Cabinet

Keith Pleas
02-20-2015, 5:26 PM
Hot on the heals of my CL drill press (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?227828-My-quot-new-quot-CL-Powermatic-2800-DP) comes the flammables storage cabinet I just dragged home. 4 gallon, self-closing door, I paid $80 vs. the new price of $395.

I'd been loosely looking for a small one for a while. But I was talking to a guy at Fisheries Supply about West Marine epoxy and when he recommended alcohol to clean up with versus acetone, his story got my attention.

When he was in the military (guessing maybe 20 years ago) there was a soldier under him who was charged with cleaning the barracks showers. 10 showers on each side, tile floor, outside load-bearing wall and the other side was a wall between the showers and the bunks. The soldier started cleaning the floor with acetone. It worked so well he poured a gallon on the floor and then - standing in the doorway - turned on the electric floor buffer.

The resulting explosion blew him out the doorway, covered the front of his body in flash burns, and blew down the shower wall onto the adjoining bunks. With his mates in them. They were pissed off, of course, but...he was in such pitiful shape that they let it go.

So I was thinking perhaps I should put my acetone in this new cabinet.

What else should I put in there?

Mike Cutler
02-20-2015, 5:34 PM
Varnish, lacquer,paint, alcohol, solvents, etc. Basically anything that has a flammability rating higher than 2 on it's MSDS sheet.( You'd be surprised at how many adhesives do. ;))
Do not store bleaches, acids, or corrosive in it.

The door should close and latch by itself. Sometimes they don't, due to age and wear, and that's why small and large companies get rid of them. Still work great for a small shop/home fire locker.

Keith Pleas
02-20-2015, 6:37 PM
Varnish, lacquer,paint, alcohol, solvents, etc. Basically anything that has a flammability rating higher than 2 on it's MSDS sheet.( You'd be surprised at how many adhesives do. ;)) Do not store bleaches, acids, or corrosive in it. The door should close and latch by itself. Sometimes they don't, due to age and wear, and that's why small and large companies get rid of them. Still work great for a small shop/home fire locker.
Awesome list! Much appreciated. Mine does still close positively, but I can see your point about a service life.

Years ago I consulted on material handling hardware and software for a major pharma. Their stuff was explosive, corrosive, flammable, biohazardous, and etiological. All covered by CFRs and every shipment signed by a person putting their ass on the line. I have forgotten almost everything I learned back then!

Bill Adamsen
02-21-2015, 2:49 PM
Great deal ... one of the best additions to the shop.

Ole Anderson
02-21-2015, 8:53 PM
Probably not legit, but I store all of my paint supplies in a 5 drawer steel file cabinet. Makes me feel better. And it self latches.