PDA

View Full Version : Assembled chair pic(s)

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-29-2005, 2:28 PM
Here's the chair(s) I'm making for the dining table.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newch1.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newch2.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newch3.jpg

A 'blend' of two Harvey Ellis designs. I don't like a lower front stretcher on front legs because it gets in the way of feet (mine anyway)...but I don't think I like it where I put it either. It's not in the way when you get up out of the chair, and you can actually rest your heels on it if you want...but it looks out of place...and it draws attention to the three lonely spindles on the sides that should probably have been five. :( I didn't angle the rear legs at the bottom because I can't find a Stickley chair, including the modern day ones, that have it...and I'll consider that an acceptable precedent. :) Obviously no cushion yet, but it sits pretty good with a slab of MDF laying across the frame.

Just for grins, here's a pic of the table top after I spent a couple hours on it this morning. At low angle, the finish is like glass...and I stopped today at 600 grit. I may stop altogether at this point, because it's still kind of 'matte' from the top...and when I pit the buffer on it that's going to bring up some sheen. I think I've got wet/dry paper up to 1500 grit, so I'll think about it tonight and decide. Thanks for peeking... :o

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/top1.jpg

Eddie Watkins
07-29-2005, 2:47 PM
I think it is beautiful. It has all the straight lines and simplicity of mission/ Stickley style furniture and the 3 spindles look great, five may have been too much.

Donnie Raines
07-29-2005, 2:48 PM
Looking good KC....

.....did you laminate some of that mesquite..... :rolleyes: :D

Keith Burns
07-29-2005, 3:01 PM
I think it is a great looking chair except I agree that the stretcher doesn't look right. I know you have considered the options, but in case you haven't, my thought would be to add a matching stretcher toward the rear or move the stretcher to the center. I think the three spindles are fine. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

"Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints."

Jeff A. Smith
07-29-2005, 3:21 PM
What is the wood and finish on the table -- it looks great!

Nice chair, too.

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Jim Hinze
07-29-2005, 3:22 PM
Wow is that Nice K.C. I do like the design and it matches nicely with the table...

FWIW, I think the lower front stretcher looks fine.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-29-2005, 3:56 PM

Nice chair, too.

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Mesquite, natural WATCO, Sherwood lacquer. Post about the table a couple weeks back...

Chris Padilla
07-29-2005, 3:57 PM

Nice chair, too.

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

That is Mr. KC "Mesquite God" Constable you are asking that of! :)

Robby Phelps
07-29-2005, 4:05 PM
Looking good KC. Is mesquite as hard to work with as I have heard. I have always wanted to work with it but have not had a client request it yet. Again nice work.

Chris Padilla
07-29-2005, 4:06 PM
http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newch3.jpg

A 'blend' of two Harvey Ellis designs. I don't like a lower front stretcher on front legs because it gets in the way of feet (mine anyway)...but I don't think I like it where I put it either. It's not in the way when you get up out of the chair, and you can actually rest your heels on it if you want...but it looks out of place...and it draws attention to the three lonely spindles on the sides that should probably have been five. :( I didn't angle the rear legs at the bottom because I can't find a Stickley chair, including the modern day ones, that have it...and I'll consider that an acceptable precedent. :) Obviously no cushion yet, but it sits pretty good with a slab of MDF laying across the frame.

KC, I left the one pic above to discuss it a little bit. For the most part, I agree with your assessment of the chair. I think 5 spindles would have been more appropriate and definately would have drawn attention away from the stretcher.

However, I think a tiny bit more could have been done to the chair to better match it to the table top. The biggest one I see is the short tapered legs on the table should've shown up on the chair along with the pegs/plugs.

I also think some form of those extra "corbels" you added to the table (last pic) could have shown up somewhere on the chair in some form. It looks like the stretchers on the table match nicely with the chair's stretchers so bravo on that note!

Overall, as always, a lovely piece with an amazing wood!

Do you consider this chair a prototype or does that remain to be judged?

Dan Oliphant
07-29-2005, 4:34 PM
Well here is my two cents worth,
1. Bring the lower portion of the table legs over to the chair legs.
2. Add a second stretcher to the back section.
Comment: I would stay with three/side

Great looking chair though.

Jason Tuinstra
07-29-2005, 7:21 PM
KC, it's lookn' great!

Gil Mitchell
07-29-2005, 8:01 PM
EXCELLENT !!!!:cool:

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2005, 8:21 PM
KC,

I need to steel your design so I can make the LOML her kitchen chairs. ;) :rolleyes: I've been talking about chairs for the kitchen now for about 2 years..... :rolleyes: :eek:

BTW, OUTSTANDING on the chairs and the table.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-30-2005, 12:45 AM
KC, I left the one pic above to discuss it a little bit. For the most part, I agree with your assessment of the chair. I think 5 spindles would have been more appropriate and definately would have drawn attention away from the stretcher.

However, I think a tiny bit more could have been done to the chair to better match it to the table top. The biggest one I see is the short tapered legs on the table should've shown up on the chair along with the pegs/plugs.

I also think some form of those extra "corbels" you added to the table (last pic) could have shown up somewhere on the chair in some form. It looks like the stretchers on the table match nicely with the chair's stretchers so bravo on that note!

Overall, as always, a lovely piece with an amazing wood!

Do you consider this chair a prototype or does that remain to be judged?

Hmmm...interesting comment about the taper on the table legs not matching the chair...something I never considered. I'm not sure it's 'practical' though, without adding a lot of 'bulk' to the chair legs to allow for a taper. I can't see it. The dowels and plugs will go in tomorrow (you might not be able to see the square holes in the pic). If I decide to make benches, I'll probably taper the bottom of those legs because they'll really just look like short, skinny tables with a butt scoop in the top.

I think corbels would've been good on an arm chair, but I'm not sure where they'd 'fit' on a side chair. I tend to avoid corbels that are there 'just to have corbels'. Easy to make them look 'wrong'. Kinda like that front stretcher. :(

As to the prototype question...everything I make is a prototype. Always room for improvement. FWIW, I actually built a 'protoype' before these two. Only thing I changed was adding the front stretcher. :o :(

Whether or not I make major changes will be largely dependant on whether or not people are reaching for their checkbooks. :D

Thanks for the comments.

Brian Hale
07-30-2005, 6:18 AM
Looks fantastic Kirk!!!

I believe once you a seat on it you'll be happy and proud.

Brian

BTW, how much is Mesquite going for these days? I'd love to try some.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-30-2005, 6:36 AM
BTW, how much is Mesquite going for these days? I'd love to try some.

Thank you. :)

Depends on where you get it and how 'good' you want it. I pay anywhere from $6 for very clean 4/4 shorts (up to maybe 48"), to $12-15 for tabletop material. If you want 'character', you can get it cheaper. I don't, unless somebody asks for it specifically.

KC

Pete Rosenbohm
07-30-2005, 1:58 PM
Kirk don't change anything , its your design, why??? try to make it look like factory furniture. Thats the whole idea about guys like us , be creative , be different ,theres a lot of people that want custom furniture. Thats where we come in, not like the factory furniture assemblers. Just my nickels worth.Take care and good luck with the rest of the project.:D

Corey Hallagan
07-30-2005, 2:21 PM
Very Nice KC. Personally I like the stretcher the way you have it. I would appreciate the way you did the front stretch and not catching your heels on it. I think a matching one on the back would look good as well. With a nice seat on it I think you are good to go! Nice work.

K.C. never have asked do you make custom furniture or a small production furniture company?

Corey

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-30-2005, 3:01 PM
K.C. never have asked do you make custom furniture or a small production furniture company?

Corey

Thank you. :) I make spec pieces for the two Mesquite Association shows, hope somebody buys them, and build to order if they want something else.

KC