PDA

View Full Version : New Tenon Saw

lowell holmes
02-20-2015, 4:48 PM
Here is the saw I've been working on. It is very amaturish compared to Stewie Simpson's work. It doesn't compare to Ron Bontz's efforts either.
I made it from a kit I purchased from Ron.

The saw plate is 16"X4". teethed at 12 tpi.

I posted a picture of a handle earlier. Stewie was kind to make recommendations which I followed as best I could.

I think it will fill the need I had, that being a substantial tenon saw. It is a bit tight in the kerf, I suppose I will have to increase the set in the teeth.
It is rip cut. Look past the messy bench, I will clean it up tomorrow.

Ron Bontz
02-20-2015, 5:43 PM
Nice job Lowell. If it fits well and cuts well for you: what more could you ask for. :)

Robert Norman
02-20-2015, 6:11 PM
Looks awesome! Is that your first build? Anything you'd do different next time?

Stewie Simpson
02-20-2015, 7:09 PM
Hi Lowell. Your backsaw handle looks a lot more professional now. Well done.

regards Stewie;

Tom M King
02-20-2015, 7:32 PM
Looks good to me.

lowell holmes
02-20-2015, 7:36 PM
Robert,

I made the handle 1" thick. The saw nuts were longer than that and I had to cut them off to fit. If I made another saw, I would have the saw nuts in hand that I would use. Then I would make the handle thickness match the saw nuts length.

I made the hang angle 35 degrees and at this time, I'm pleased with it. That long saw plate needs a different hang angle than maybe a shorter saw.

I have Lie Nielsen carcass saws. I like them, but felt when cutting tenons a longer saw would do better. The long saw plate really speeds up the cut, but does so smoothly.

I need to widen the saw kerf and I'm hoping that increasing the set on the teeth will accomplish that.

These are things that I have thought about as I worked on the saw and also afterward.

I will say that Ron Bontz was helpful on occasions when I had questions. He did not just send me the components and then leave me hanging. The parts he provided are absolutely quality merchandise and I really appreciate it.

Frederick Skelly
02-20-2015, 7:49 PM
Nice work Lowell. The handle looks great.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-20-2015, 8:30 PM
What was involved? You made your own handle I assume... Were the teeth cut? Did you sharpen? Rob makes nice saws

Jim Matthews
02-20-2015, 8:45 PM
My Dear Holmes, don't sell yourself short.

kudos

lowell holmes
02-20-2015, 9:00 PM
Andrew, I bought and viewed two Popular Woodworking videos. One was Mat Cianci's video, "Making a Perfect Backsaw".
The other was Ron Herman's video, "Sharpening a Handsaw".

These two videos provided knowledge and guidance needed to make the saw.

I made several handles before I had one that was acceptable. I wanted to use the figured maple for the handle.

Ron Bontz provided a lot of support and Stewie Simpson provided insight in finishing the handle.

The kit came with a saw plate, a brass back, and saw nuts. Ron answered questions on several occasions, he didn't sell me a kit and leave hanging.

I made the handle, attached the brass back to the saw plate, drilled the holes in the handle and saw plate. The was finished with blo and Deft danish oil.

The saw plate came with teeth as ordered. I shaped and sharpened the teeth. Ron Herman's video was really helpful. It is the best of three videos on sharpening I've seen. I had to set the teeth. There are 192 teeth in the saw.

You can see in the picture, the saw cuts and stays on the line. That is not an easy task foe a greenhorn. Ron's video made that possible.

That is in a nutshell, what was involved.

Richard Hutchings
02-21-2015, 5:37 AM
That looks like a fine saw to me but since it's a tenon saw, shouldn't there be a picture of the saw way down in a tenon cheek?:D

Chris Hachet
02-21-2015, 6:55 AM
Agree with not selling yourself short.

Chris

ian maybury
02-21-2015, 9:32 AM
Nice job. Makes me feel a bit inadequate having just ordered a pair of LV tenon saws...