PDA

View Full Version : bosch template guide question

Mike Steinhilper
07-29-2005, 2:20 PM
I'm getting ready to mortise some hinges, and have NO idea how to use the template guide with my 1617. I am fairly new at this. The manual is vague. Any suggestions? Also, if any of you have any shop-made hinge mortise jigs, please let me know. I busted my butt on these doors and dont' want to ruin them! :)

Mark Singer
07-29-2005, 3:52 PM
Mike,

the temlate guide will create an ofset from the bit. Take a scrap and clamp a straight piece on top. The lower piece is the workpice....rout a small section and measure the offset. It should be about 1/16" for a straight bit. Scribe the hinge cutout on your template and cut just over the scribe line. Use a file to sand flat and square...test it on a scrap. If the hinge is tight file a bit more on the template. The template guide must not project more than the thickness of the template.

Corey Hallagan
07-30-2005, 1:58 PM
The new Wood Magazine has a good article on setting up to do template cutting and jigs. It tells you how to figure out the offset etc. and make a template. This is the issue with the computer desk on the front and the Monster router review.

Corey

Charles McKinley
08-01-2005, 6:17 PM
Hi Mike,

Have you put the template guide in yet? I agree the directions are very vague. I just put mine in a week or so ago.

It is fairly simple if you pay attienion to a couple of details.

First: Make sure the little lever for inserting and releasing the guide is on the side with out the plastic window. DAMHIKT

Second if you do not have the bosch guide set just the adaptor make sure that the guides fit the adaptor. One of my sets is just a hair too big to fit in the bosch adaptor.

Third when using the adaptor it is kind of confusing to figure out just how the thing should go in. Luckily it only fits one way.

HTH if you have another question feel free to private message me.