PDA

View Full Version : what's a good price for this jointer?

Andy Henriksen
07-29-2005, 12:17 PM
A local garage sale is selling a craftsman jointer that looks to be one of these two (which are very similar, but seem to have different model numbers). It seems to be in good shape, but I don't really know what to look for. He's asking $125. I don't know what's a fair price or what to look for to ensure it is in good working order. Please, all-knowing creekers - tell me what to do!

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2815
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2441

Mike Weaver
07-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Buy it...

I have the same jointer and it's quite usable.
Of course, I'll be selling it once I get my 12" jointer "rehabbed" (tht won't be until probably Christmas).

As to price, I'm not sure, but $125 sounds pretty good, imho.

Cheers,
-Mike

Bob Wilkerson
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd go $100 max. Good bearings and flat tables/fence are necessary. OTOH, IIRC that model doesn't have an adjustable outfeed table so setting knifes is a real pain......

Bob

John Hemenway
07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
That's my Jointer! Well not the acutal one but looks just like mine. I bought mine for $100. Offer $90 and go up to 100 if it is in good shape.

Andy Henriksen
07-29-2005, 12:48 PM
I'd go $100 max. Good bearings and flat tables/fence are necessary. OTOH, IIRC that model doesn't have an adjustable outfeed table so setting knifes is a real pain......

Bob

How can I tell if the bearings are good. Turn it on and see if it runs smooth, I suppose?

Andrew Ault
07-29-2005, 12:50 PM
I do not claim to be an expert, I have a jointer and know enough to use it safely and get acceptable results. Unlike my other tools, a jointer gives me no pleasure. I'm always glad to get two good sides on stock so I can get on with thicknessing, which for me is almost magical - seeing the surfaces of the wood get nice and flat and the figure coming through. I love my planer. I will often skim off the remaining jointed board edge with my Forrest WWII because THEN it is PERFECT. But...it starts with the jointer...

I would try adjusting the fence to ensure that it is easy to get it square to the cutting head. Make sure that when locked the fence will stay in position during use. Next, see that the tables are adjustable up and down. I do not see how the left table adjusts on this one, in my experience, the left table needs some adjustment to get it right relative to the cutting head. Make sure that you can remove and replace the knives in the cutting head relatively easily. Are they sharp? Look to see that the knives are true across their width relative to the table surface.

To me $125 seems a little much unless it works really well, as described above. The savings relative to a well functioning entry level new tool is not worth it unless you are not giving up on function. For example, the Craftsman jointer seems pretty functional for the price.

I'm sure that other people here will have more and better advice, but I hope this helps.

-Andy

Steve Stube
07-29-2005, 1:51 PM
Andy, I bought a Craftsman Jointer Model 113.206931 the end of May for $135.00. It looks like new still but the 1/2 HP motor on it is under powered and I plan to replace it with a 1 or 1.5 HP motor. I think the $125.00 could be a great buy especially if it has about 1 HP motor already on it.

PS. I'm still looking for a copy of the manual specific to my model number.

Andy Henriksen
07-29-2005, 1:58 PM
Andy, I bought a Craftsman Jointer Model 113.206931 the end of May for $135.00. It looks like new still but the 1/2 HP motor on it is under powered and I plan to replace it with a 1 or 1.5 HP motor. I think the $125.00 could be a great buy especially if it has about 1 HP motor already on it.

PS. I'm still looking for a copy of the manual specific to my model number.
That I can help you with. Found it just a bit ago searching for info on the thing:
http://msgulfcoast.org/eom/Craftsman/Planer/113206931.html

Bob Boake
07-29-2005, 3:10 PM
Works just fine except the table is only about 36 inches long. yes the outfeed table is not adjustable. To set knives sears sold a knife setting gauge no 9-2647 to set the knives .003" above the outfeed table.

$125 is a fair price for that tool. What other jointer can u buy for that price?
I have made a few hundred cabinet doors with that tool. No split raised panels yet.

Steve Stube
07-29-2005, 5:00 PM
Andy, Thanks for the manual link, just what I was after. I see that this jointer was offered with either a 1/2 Hp or 3/4 HP motor. Hope the one you are checking out is the 3/4 HP unit. Let us know what you decide.

Peter Dougenik
07-29-2005, 6:05 PM
not sure what a good price is but I have a very similar jointer "on loan" from my father in law and it works ok. it doesn't have the original motor, so I can't speak to the earlier posters lack of power statement. my only real gripes with the one I have is A)the length of the beds -- too short if you need to work on long stock, and B)only 6" cutterhead -- I know many people get by just fine with a 6" jointer but I seem to always be working with boards roughly 8" wide and it drives me nuts when one has a twist or other defect. I usually end up taking out the hand planes to work it into reasonable shape.

CPeter James
07-29-2005, 10:57 PM
I had one of those. Found it to be almost useless for anything of any width OR LENGTH. The tables are too short. The fence on mine was a pain to set and it was underpowered. Other than that it was fine (for a boat anchor). I was lucky and sold it. There are much better out there for the same or a little more money. BTW, do check the classifieds and local "shopper" papers. Also, put the word out, That is where I get my best tips on used stuff available.

CPeter