PDA

View Full Version : FLUX All-in-One 3D Printer/Scanner/Laser Engraver for $2000

Richard Rumancik
02-20-2015, 9:23 AM
So many people were interested in the (unreleased) Glowforge machine I thought they might also be interested in the Flux. I don't think this has been posted on this forum yet - my apologies if I missed it.

http://3dprint.com/24317/flux-3d-printer-scanner-laser/

This was funded as a Kickstarter project. Looks like they raised $1.6 million to develop this.

So . . . what do you think? A laser engraver, 3D printer, and scanner for $2000. Available June 2015.

Doug Griffith
02-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Definitely a toy.

I'm curious how FLUX expected to get anything accomplished with their original 100k goal.

Matt McCoy
02-20-2015, 12:06 PM
I think it's cool and can see it in schools or a makerspace where kids can learn about robotics, lasers, modelling, coding, hacking, and lots more. Kickstarter has been a boon for creativity and tech.

Bruce Page
02-20-2015, 12:24 PM
It's not a production machine but it's fun to watch. The magnetic arms are clever.

Dan Hintz
02-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Two things right off of the bat that scream "What?"

Layer Height: 0.01 – 0.3mm
Scanner Point Accuracy: 2 – 3mm

10um layer height? There's more slop in that machine than 10um, so there's zero hope in getting an accurate layer that thickness. People continually confuse the resolution of a gear train with repeatable accuracy.

2-3mm scanner point accuracy? I'm hoping that' a typo, otherwise you could only scan gross features of an object. An army guy would look like a handful of voxels stacked on top of each other. The apple was an easy scan, but there will never be any detail at that resolution.