PDA

View Full Version : Quick signage

Doug Griffith
02-19-2015, 3:39 PM
Just sharing some quick signage for the opening night of one of my ventures.

All I did was lightly cut through the acrylic masking, do a bit of weeding, spray on white using a rattle can (light coats), then weed again. Mounted to the wall using drywall screws and stand-offs.

They came out pretty good and made the sponsors real happy. Plus our space looked a little more pro.

chris szlachetka
02-19-2015, 3:53 PM
Looks awesome ! Would love to see close up shots, have any to show ? Doing some Acrylic myself right now and can't figure the jagged wall finish. Curious what do you mean by weeding (pocketing) ;/ ?

vic casware
02-19-2015, 4:09 PM
Love it, guess what i'm going to do for the rest of the day :D

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-19-2015, 4:32 PM
Looks great! Even with 3 completely different designs, they all tied in well together with the black & white theme.

Doug Griffith
02-19-2015, 4:36 PM
The next time I'm in front of the signs, I'll snap a few more photos. Weeding is the term used for removal of the un-masked areas. It's the picking out of the mask where you want the paint to be applied. I use needle-sharp tweezers when doing this.

Doug Griffith
02-19-2015, 4:39 PM
Looks great! Even with 3 completely different designs, they all tied in well together with the black & white theme.

I agree. Color would have added another dimension and disrupted continuity. Plus, this is an art gallery so I wanted it to be clean and not too in-your-face.

Don Corbeil
02-19-2015, 7:49 PM
looks great Doug, very professional. I also noticed they're for towns that used to be my old stomping grounds.

Paul Phillips
02-19-2015, 7:51 PM
Cool stuff Doug, I did some similar signs like that a while back just using all paint, black first then the white, turned out great.
Doug, if you're ever in the PS area feel free to stop by and say hi, be happy to show you what we do and talk shop! We're near the airport.

Doug Griffith
02-19-2015, 8:07 PM
Cool stuff Doug, I did some similar signs like that a while back just using all paint, black first then the white, turned out great.
Doug, if you're ever in the PS area feel free to stop by and say hi, be happy to show you what we do and talk shop! We're near the airport.

I might just do that. I just opened a gallery/store at the "start" of N. Indian Canyon Drive called ModFab. Poke your head in there if you can. FYI, one of my other main gigs is programming/operating Multicam CNCs. We just got a new 5x10 MT w/ 18" of Z, 16hp spindle, and a 12 tool changer. I love those machines. Looks like you do too.

Doug Griffith
02-19-2015, 8:08 PM
looks great Doug, very professional. I also noticed they're for towns that used to be my old stomping grounds.

Right in the heart of Palm Springs. It's a fun town.

Don Corbeil
02-19-2015, 9:05 PM
It sure is. It also has some great mid century desert modernist architecture. Neutra, Wexler, Lautner are just a few who designed there.
I love the place.

Doug Griffith
02-19-2015, 9:30 PM
It sure is. It also has some great mid century desert modernist architecture. Neutra, Wexler, Lautner are just a few who designed there.
I love the place.

Mid-Century-Modern is one of my passions. The Wexlers were at our opening night party and we work with and have products in the Architectural Design Museum that just opened.

Don Corbeil
02-19-2015, 11:35 PM
that's awesome!

Scott Marquez
02-20-2015, 2:29 AM
That looks great, what is your base material?
Scott

Steve Morris
02-20-2015, 8:56 AM
Why didn't you use a laminate to just remove the top layer and save the painting and weeding?

Doug Griffith
02-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Why didn't you use a laminate to just remove the top layer and save the painting and weeding?

Because I went cheap and with the materials I had floating around. Plus acrylic is thicker and self supporting so I didn't have to back it with anything. Acrylic also has a nice gloss to it and the large painted areas don't have the texture that occurs when engraving away the top layer of a laminate. All-in-all, doing it this way was pretty darn fast and cheap.

Paul Phillips
02-20-2015, 10:38 AM
I might just do that. I just opened a gallery/store at the "start" of N. Indian Canyon Drive called ModFab. Poke your head in there if you can. FYI, one of my other main gigs is programming/operating Multicam CNCs. We just got a new 5x10 MT w/ 18" of Z, 16hp spindle, and a 12 tool changer. I love those machines. Looks like you do too.

Wow, sounds very cool, would love to see your gallery. Would love to have a new MultiCam, ours
are getting a bit long in the tooth.

AL Ursich
02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Just sharing some quick signage for the opening night of one of my ventures.

All I did was lightly cut through the acrylic masking, do a bit of weeding, spray on white using a rattle can (light coats), then weed again. Mounted to the wall using drywall screws and stand-offs.

They came out pretty good and made the sponsors real happy. Plus our space looked a little more pro.

Doug,

Borrowed your picture for the CarveWright forum if you don't mind. A post on using a Cricut with the CarveWright and your fine example of this type of sign is very impressive.

Thanks,

AL

Doug Griffith
02-20-2015, 1:12 PM
Doug,

Borrowed your picture for the CarveWright forum if you don't mind. A post on using a Cricut with the CarveWright and your fine example of this type of sign is very impressive.

Thanks,

AL

No problem. I'm sure our sponsors will appreciate even more exposure. It can't hurt at least.

Steve Morris
02-20-2015, 3:26 PM
that'll do :) great results

AL Ursich
02-21-2015, 12:57 PM
No problem. I'm sure our sponsors will appreciate even more exposure. It can't hurt at least.

Thank you !!!!

I point CarveWright and Engraving etc guys here to Sawmill Creek often.

Many great ideas like your signs to stimulate the interest in multi types of machines making great stuff.

AL