PDA

View Full Version : Small router or laminate trimmer?

Lee DeRaud
07-29-2005, 9:31 AM
(I was going to add this to the 'Laminate Trimmer' thread, but my question is a bit more general.)

Ok, I've got a big honking plunge router (BHPR) for "freehand" work and another (not-quite-as) BHPR in the router table, both with 1/2" collets that are less-than-convenient to swap out. There are a number of bits I need/want that are only available in 1/4" shank, generally for applications where the power/weight of the BHPR is gross overkill.

Will a laminate trimmer hold up to use as a general-purpose mini-router, or should I be looking at something larger (1.5HP or so)?

(Yeah, I know: "BUY BOTH!!" :cool: )

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-29-2005, 9:37 AM
I use laminate trimmers as routers often due to the lighter weight, but, always with care not to run too large a bit.

Mostly I use 1/4" roundover, occassionaly a small OG bit if I'm not using the entire cutting surface.

It will of course vary with the different materials, the harder the wood, the more aware you have to be of the limited power.

Doug

Alden Miller
07-29-2005, 9:40 AM
I'm with Doug on this. I use them with a 1/4" straight bit to cut mortises for hinges. I also have one always set up with a 1/8" roundover to ease edges.

-Alden

Lee DeRaud
07-29-2005, 9:45 AM
I also have one always set up with a 1/8" roundover to ease edges.Heh. That's pretty much what started this train of thought: I bought a 1/8" RO bit...with a 1/2" shank. That thing just plain doesn't look right, especially hanging out the bottom of about 12lbs of router.:eek:

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-29-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm with Doug on this. I use them with a 1/4" straight bit to cut mortises for hinges. I also have one always set up with a 1/8" roundover to ease edges.

-Alden

I don't know how many boxes you have to mortise hinges for, but I've gone to a dedicated router table set up with a 1/4 straight bit. I have a fence on this table with sliding stops.

I cut acrylic patterns to aid in the setup for different size boxes so it is very quick.

Got tired of dialing in the depth everytime I had to do a hinge mortise.

Doug

Steve Rowe
07-29-2005, 7:05 PM
Lee - I have a Bosch laminate trimmer kit and usually just use the standard fixed base. I do like the fact that it can be used with one hand easily. The base on this is small and rectangular and not much larger than the body of the router. This does have a tendency to rock when edge routing as there isn't much support. I am not sure how this would meet your needs as a general purpose router but it is something to be considered. Having looked at (but do not own) the Porter Cable 310 laminate trimmer, the base is somewhat larger and may be a better choice for what you are wanting.

Steve