PDA

View Full Version : Static electricity while buffing

Marty Tippin
02-19-2015, 9:29 AM
Any of you experience static shocks while using the Beall buffing system in the dead of winter? I was getting zapped left and right last night while working on a maple plate, took me a while to figure out what was going on... Makes sense, I guess, but was a new one to me...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Marty,

I am getting static shocks while buffing and just received a static grounding wristband and ground lead via Amazon Tuesday. I used these professionally before I retired. Now with a cochlear implant, I have to avoid static shocks. While I was able to locate my grounding pad I couldn't find the wrist band and the wire used with it. So I ordered one from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002QKMEG/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1424358013&sr=1&keywords=grounding+strap+with+wrist+band I turn on a PM-3520B. I opened the accessory storage door on the tailstock, removed it. I sanded the paint off from under one of the door hinge screws. Using a piece of bare woven copper wire, I made a loop, placing it over the bare spot and reinstalled the door. I attached the alligator clip of the grounding cable to the copper wire loop sticking out from under the accessory storage door cover. The alligator clip uses a simple slide on connection to the cable. The cable attaches to the wrist band by a snap. Either should provide a safety relief in the event it would catch. Though there are cheaper versions available, I bought this one as I am a large man and it appeared to be adjustable. I woodwork in short sleeved t-shirts. I wear this wristband pushed up on my forearm near my right elbow so it away from where I am buffing. I only wear it when I am buffing. I have used it several times since it arrived on Tuesday and it works well.

Brian Brown
02-19-2015, 2:00 PM
Yes I get static shocks all the time because I live in a dry climate. In the winter, it is like a Jacob's ladder arc between my hand and the lathe. I like Ken's idea of the grounding strap, and I have one around here somewhere. I am also glad to hear that he pushed it up higher on his arm. If it got caught in the buffing pad, it could pull the users arm into the pad, possibly causing broken fingers, and definitely causing a broken woodturning.

Michael Armstrong
02-20-2015, 5:58 PM
Yup. I zapped the controller for my Oneway. After it happened the lathe would still run but at my about 5 rpm. Made for pretty slow and chunky turning! Nobody could explain why it happened but it was a costly repair. I might have to try Ken's solution.

Michael

Fred Belknap
02-20-2015, 8:02 PM
After I get bit I take one of my shoes off and put my foot against the lathe leg. Works pretty good, it still bites my foot a little through socks.