PDA

View Full Version : GPS tracking and data logging for cars

Mike OMelia
02-18-2015, 9:24 PM
I have a 16 year old about to be loosed on our roads. I have warned him for quite some time that I will be using tracking and data logging. I've seen some interesting devices that use GSM to communicate to cell phones. Use the ODBII port. I really like all of that, but I also want one that has a SD card. This way, I can have a backup, and down the road, not use the GSM paid service once I have him convinced I'm monitoring. Have any of you got some suggestions?

Btw, for some, this is a charged issue. And I am saying here I do not want to deal with that. Please, I hope we can respect that.

Thanks! Mike

Report this post Dele

Myk Rian
02-19-2015, 8:20 AM
I have GPS tracker installed on mine, and my Wife's phones. (She knows it)
We can see where each other is, right down to 10 feet.
It's an app by Life360. This is the Android app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsp.android.c

Mike OMelia
02-19-2015, 11:21 PM
There are endless devices out there. Many involve GSM services that give you realtime updates. Geofencing. ODBII data port access. I'm just looking got a current user with insight. So, I'm looking for a hardware/software solution that someone has experience with.

Mike

Jim Matthews
02-20-2015, 8:37 AM
Other than tracking acceleration changes, do you just want to know where your child goes?

That should be easy to do with their phone.
Kids never turn theirs off, it's like an appendage to them.

John Goodin
02-23-2015, 2:41 PM
Davis makes car chip. Measures speed, braking and a bunch of other stuff. I don't think it gives location though.

Pat Barry
02-23-2015, 3:38 PM
Isn't the Progressive Insurance Snapshot device basically watching your every move and tracking your driving in order to determine your risk level and therefore your car insurance rates? I suspect its Big Brother in action and certainly not something I'm ever going to be willing to sign up for. I think its being sold to naive people who think they might get a price break on insurance but who are really going to regret that little monster being there infringing on their privacy and freedom to drive.

Judson Green
02-23-2015, 3:53 PM
Isn't the Progressive Insurance Snapshot device basically watching your every move and tracking your driving in order to determine your risk level and therefore your car insurance rates? I suspect its Big Brother in action and certainly not something I'm ever going to be willing to sign up for. I think its being sold to naive people who think they might get a price break on insurance but who are really going to regret that little monster being there infringing on their privacy and freedom to drive.

I know this is off topic but I was talking to the progressive person a few months ago asking about that snapshot thing and asked if it could negatively affect your premiums and she said not at this time at least for Wisconsin, other states yes it could.

Jerome Stanek
02-23-2015, 4:47 PM
Progressive has that but you only use it for a couple of weeks then send it back. At least that is what my daughter had to do she did get a discount for her riving habits.

julian abram
02-24-2015, 9:22 AM
Other than tracking acceleration changes, do you just want to know where your child goes?

That should be easy to do with their phone.
Kids never turn theirs off, it's like an appendage to them.

Boy, "their phone is like an appendage" perfectly describes my 13 yo daughter's phone usage. Goes to sleep with it listening to music at night and starts texting friends the moment she wakes up. To locate her when she is away from the house, just hit the "Find iPhone" app on my phone.

Jim Matthews
02-24-2015, 1:55 PM
During the last major power outage on Long Island, local police dispatchers were called by alarmed residents.
They reported that "The sky was on fire." - the Milky way came into view without background light pollution.

I suspect that when the first Nationwide cellphone blackout occurs,
many young people will be shocked to see how many people
live in such close proximity. Wall-E sent up this phenomenon, years ago.

"Did you know we had a pool​?"