PDA

View Full Version : Morris style Dinning Chair

Paul Pope
02-18-2015, 2:37 PM
I built this over the holidays and just got around to taking photos.
Thru mortise and tenons.

John TenEyck
02-18-2015, 4:09 PM
Very, very nice. Looks like it could just as well be made from white oak. Did you do the upholstery too?

John

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 4:19 PM
Cool beans. Finish?

J-10: I thought that is WO?

Paul - do we eat alone with a TV tray, or are there more chairs and a table in the works?

FYI - one lesson I learned - made a full dining room set for a client/neighbor. 6 side chairs and 2 arm chairs. The sea width on the arm chairs needs to be wider than the side chairs by 2" - 3".

Fortunately, the clients are very fit, bike riders and half marathons, etc., so their butts fit fine in the arm chairs. A bit tight for certain neighbor guests.

Paul Pope
02-18-2015, 4:43 PM
Yes, it's QSWO! Finish is Arm-R-Seal. That is intended to be a head of the table chair, the other 4 will build a foot shorter on the backrest.
The upholstery is a goos seat foam wrapped and stapled to a bottom board. Yes This chair is about 2 inches wider the the others would be.

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 5:49 PM
Cool.

Looking forward to the entire set.

The first time I did A+C dining chairs, I started with a poplar version for templates, mock-up, and practice. The "pucker factor" at work.

Then - the client bought that chair as well, let their 6 yr old daughter pick the colors and seat fabric, and they painted it - 4 or 5 pastel colors, and fuzzy purple upholstery. Her chair. To be honest, it looks pretty awesome in the room with all that dark reddish-brown QSWO furniture with boring reddish-brown leather seats. Definitely grabs your attention when you walk into the room.

John TenEyck
02-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Oh, my bad. I saw another post with mesquite wood in the title and somehow transposed it to this chair. Must have been a senior moment. But at least my eyes thought it was white oak.

John