PDA

View Full Version : Roughing Gouge for spindle work - quality

Maurice Arney
02-18-2015, 11:06 AM
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on spindle roughing gouges. Specifically, how important is it to purchase a "high end" gouge for roughing out spindles? Obviously, things to consider would be balance, weight, and steel hardness. But given the fact that the gouge will be used to rough out a square stock in preparation for finish work, how much added value is there in purchasing say a $110 gouge over one that costs $39? Or would that extra money be better spent on a high quality finishing tool?

Thanks for your opinions

Jim Meyer
02-18-2015, 11:26 AM
I have a Benjamin best spindle roughing gouge and it works great for me. Even on long tapers, close to skew smooth. Jim

charlie knighton
02-18-2015, 11:45 AM
some of the noteable demostrators just use 5/8 or larger gouge, Jimmy C. has an amazing way of roughing out whole log

Scott Hackler
02-18-2015, 12:16 PM
I used to use a 5/8" bowl gouge as a roughing gouge (and I guess still use it sometimes), but since buying one of Doug's 1 1/4 SRG...that is the beast I use to rough large things out. They are expensive (both of them) but considering how long the tools last... it's really not that much of an investment.

Robert Henrickson
02-18-2015, 12:25 PM
I often use a 5/8 bowl gouge for spindle roughing, especially with smaller stock. I also have a cheap (relatively) roughing gouge which I tend to use for preliminary roughing of larger blanks (perhaps 2x2 or larger). My overall preference is the 5/8.

Thom Sturgill
02-18-2015, 1:07 PM
I use the 2" Benjamin's Best SRG from PSI. Occasionally, I will use a largeish bowl gouge. No complaints with the BB gouge, but have been thinking of buying either one of Doug Thompson's beasts or Dave's from D-way. Doug's are bigger, but also more expensive.

Michelle Rich
02-18-2015, 2:04 PM
buy whatever fits your budget. they all work. Bigger is easier to use.

Dennis Ford
02-18-2015, 6:10 PM
I own a Sorby 3/4" roughing gouge but once borrowed a Benjamin's Best 2" for a run of porch spindles. I will purchase the Benjamin's Best 2" if I do another batch of spindles, it held an edge pretty well and the large size made the job go much faster.

John Keeton
02-18-2015, 8:26 PM
I have the BB 2" SRG as well as Dave's. I use the BB most often and love it. Dave's certainly holds an edge better and I wish it was as large. I can turn an Osolnik candlestick very quickly with the BB. It is slick on sweeping curves.

Jeff Holoboski
02-18-2015, 11:18 PM
I recently purchased a BB 1" SRG with the longer handle.I really enjoy using it and the cuts are pretty darn smooth also.For a newbie like me BB represent a good bargain and I can practice sharpening without worrying to much. :)

Quinn McCarthy
02-19-2015, 10:11 AM
I have a 3/4" sorby and a 1 3/4" crown RG. I really like the mass and size opf the crown for spidle work. Both keep an edge really well.

Don Orr
02-19-2015, 11:34 PM
I love my Crown 1 1/4" SRG. Good price from Klingspors Woodworking shop.

Lee Reep
02-19-2015, 11:54 PM
I bought a set of Harbor Freight lathe tools when I first got my lathe. They are HSS, and they have served me well. I also consider them a good starter set to learn how to sharpen -- not so expensive that I feared putting them to the grinder as I learned to sharpen tools. I've started replacing my HFs, or augmenting my set, by adding higher quality individual tools, such a premium bowl gouge. I like to turn tool handles, so I bought my gouge unhandled.

I am quite impressed with D-Way Tools, and my next roughing gouge will likely be a D-Was. I like the fact that they have round shanks rather than flat. And they come unhandled. :)

Maurice Arney
02-20-2015, 6:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I ordered a two piece set of 1 inch and 2 inch roughing gouges from Steve Fulgoni at The Woodturning Store www.thewoodturningstore.com He has them made in China to his specifications so they are very economical. Hopefully they will work out. But in any case, I think this set will give me some good practice and help me decide what I want, should I opt for something more expensive at a later date. His tools are also available on Amazon with "prime" shipping.

John Keeton
02-20-2015, 7:02 AM
Excellent price on the set, Maurice!!