PDA

View Full Version : Eggs!

Judson Green
02-18-2015, 10:55 AM
How do you prefer your eggs?

Lately I've been trying to prefect my hand at sunny side up - just a little crisp on the outer edges with a well done white and soft yoke. Not as easy as it would seem, as least for me.

Myk Rian
02-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Over easy with toast.

George Bokros
02-18-2015, 11:40 AM

Lately I've been trying to prefect my hand at sunny side up - just a little crisp on the outer edges with a well done white and soft yoke. Not as easy as it would seem, as least for me.

I have trouble getting the white cooked on top with out flipping it over. I still get a soft yoke but really like the yoke to not be white on top from cooking the white that is over the yoke.Ma

ybe I am just confused as to what sunny side up is??

ryan paulsen
02-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Sunny side up for me! Can't beat the cast iron skillet, hotter than you think it should be, with a healthy dollop of butter, or better yet, bacon grease. A little uncoked white is about perfect, it will finish up on the plate...yum!

Howard Garner
02-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Sunny side up for me! Can't beat the cast iron skillet, hotter than you think it should be, with a healthy dollop of butter, or better yet, bacon grease. A little uncoked white is about perfect, it will finish up on the plate...yum!

Yuk.
Scrambled, dry is my preference.

Mel Fulks
02-18-2015, 12:15 PM
"Eggs in a cup". Scrambled , served in a preheated coffee mug with sea salt and Tabasco. She just served 'em, gotta go.

Dan Hintz
02-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Over easy is my favorite... makes sure the whites are fully cooked, but the yellow is still gooey. Mash it all up and slap on a piece of toast. Extra toast for sopping up the yolk that didn't make it into each bite.

Sunny side up leaves uncooked whites... blech!

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Having been around those uncooth animals that produce eggs far too long, my appetite for them is quite low. I'm with Howard though, I want mine no longer looking like an egg, and cooked enough to kill the nastiness.

Joe Tilson
02-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Scrambled well and fried well for me (hard yoke and white). Over medium for the wife (hard white some yoke hard).

Larry Edgerton
02-18-2015, 12:44 PM
My grandmother made the best sunny side up eggs I have ever seen. No crunchys at all, perfect yokes and strangely round. She made them by spooning bacon grease over them while they were cooking.

After 64 years of this my grandfathers heart gave out, but he did have perfect eggs every morning......

Judson Green
02-18-2015, 1:22 PM
I have trouble getting the white cooked on top with out flipping it over. I still get a soft yoke but really like the yoke to not be white on top from cooking the white that is over the yoke.Ma

From my table.... Sunnyside up

Matt Day
02-18-2015, 1:24 PM
Scrambled, with a little bit of water added before they hit the skillet. About halfway through, I add a bit of grated cheese, and take them off before they get dry. Yum!

I despise dry and over cooked scrambled eggs!

Randy Red Bemont
02-18-2015, 1:25 PM
I'm a scrambled eggs person. I do like an over easy egg on top of my burger. My wife just doesn't understand that one.

Red

Judson Green
02-18-2015, 1:30 PM
Scrambled, with a little bit of water added before they hit the skillet. About halfway through, I add a bit of grated cheese, and take them off before they get dry. Yum!

I despise dry and over cooked scrambled eggs!

Sounds good! My Grandma would always put bacon in hers. I've upped that a bit and made I guess what you might call a scrambled omelette- bacon or ham with cheese, green pepper, onion and other goodies.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2015, 1:31 PM
I like mine scrambled with chopped green onions, bacon bits and velveeta.

Rick Moyer
02-18-2015, 2:15 PM
Pretty much anyway, but I was watching Barefoot Contessa making deviled eggs with smoked salmon. Yum. Gonna have to try those. Breakfast is more often over easy, though any form is good with me.

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 2:31 PM
I go out a couple times a month for breakfast - don't really eat much in the mornings usually. Cholesterol special - 3 eggs over easy - very runny; dry toast [butter on the toast inhibits yolk absorption]; potatoes; sausage.

The 2 best egg dishes I have ever had:
#1 - scrambled eggs at The Inn At Little Washington. They are like nothing else in the world - just scrambled eggs, but man, do they know what they are doing
#2 - scrambled eggs with smoked Scottish salmon in them - The Minmore House - a B&B - the former Manor House of George Smith, founder of Glenlivet. Water comes from the same spring that feeds the distillery.

Rich Engelhardt
02-18-2015, 4:27 PM
Lately I've been trying to prefect my hand at sunny side up - just a little crisp on the outer edges with a well done white and soft yoke. Not as easy as it would seem, as least for me.You need a good cast iron skillet that's been properly seasoned to make the perfect ss-up egg(s).
The non-stick and aluminum pans don't get hot enough.

I actually started a thread here about this a number of years ago - while on my own quest for the perfect SS-up egg(s).

Here- have a look at these two threads:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?177260-How-to-season-a-cast-iron-skillet&highlight=cast

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168321-I-just-had-a-sunny-side-up-egg&highlight=cast

Jason Roehl
02-18-2015, 4:27 PM
I love eggs. I'll eat them just about any way they're served. In general, though, I eat over-easy (in bacon grease) and scrambled, probably average a dozen a week. If they're scrambled, I love the garden and barnyard thrown in, same for omelets.

For those that are wondering, my total cholesterol is about 130, in a good ratio. Cholesterol in your food does not result in cholesterol in your blood stream. There's actually mounting evidence that many of the vegetable oils are to blame, because they cause damage and inflammation to your blood vessels, which allows the LDLs to stick and build up.

And, while I've never eaten a raw egg straight up (I would, just haven't), I have tossed them into breakfast shakes before. Farm-fresh eggs that haven't been washed are actually safer in that regard because the washing that the store-bought eggs gets removes a natural protective layer from the shell that inhibits bacterial growth.

Pat Barry
02-18-2015, 4:31 PM
I'll take them in a sausage mcmuffin! Of course, I'm not sure if they are actually in a sausage mcmuffin!. LOL

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-18-2015, 4:37 PM
I prefer them farm fresh and not store bought. All the better if someone cooks them for me. :-)

Jason Roehl
02-18-2015, 4:40 PM
I'll take them in a sausage mcmuffin! Of course, I'm not sure if they are actually in a sausage mcmuffin!. LOL

They were when I worked there 22+ years ago. I cracked a LOT of eggs each morning when I was an opener. One in each hand, slice them almost all the way through on the thin lip of the stainless mixing pitcher, and open them into the pitcher. Messy, but quick, and I rarely got a piece of shell into the egg.

Rich Riddle
02-18-2015, 4:51 PM
I like mine scrambled with chopped green onions, bacon bits and velveeta.

What is Velveeta?

Robert Payne
02-18-2015, 5:33 PM
Judson,

I cook my sunny side up using the same method that Larry's grandmother used:
She made them by spooning bacon grease over them while they were cooking.
I cook up a few strips of bacon and then use a spatula to splash the drippings onto the whites as my eggs cook on medium heat. Whites get nicely cooked and the yolks are pure sunny! Had some yesterday morning with the bacon, a slice of toast and coffee -- Yum!

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 5:39 PM
What is Velveeta?

Petroleum derivative, a color of yellow, and a consistency, that are not present in nature. They thin it down to make the non-solid version for nachos at ballparks.

A by-product of the cracking process which also produces non-dairy creamer in those little foil-topped cups, which you find at the finer restaurants.

Rich Riddle
02-18-2015, 5:47 PM
Petroleum derivative, a color of yellow, and a consistency, that are not present in nature. They thin it down to make the non-solid version for nachos at ballparks.

A by-product of the cracking process which also produces non-dairy creamer in those little foil-topped cups, which you find at the finer restaurants.
Well I don't drink coffee or need creamer, but the way you describe Velveeta makes it sound delicious. Is it fit for human digestion or is Ken just super-human?

Judson Green
02-18-2015, 5:50 PM

Velveeta maybe not be your fancy pants cheese but its soooo dreamy and melts good too. Some call it liquid gold

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 5:57 PM
Is it fit for human digestion or is Ken just super-human?

No to #1
Yes to #2

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 6:03 PM
Velveeta maybe not be your fancy pants cheese but its soooo dreamy and melts good too. Some call it liquid gold

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

Good Lord in Heaven above !!! :eek:

There is not one single phrase, in one sentence, that sounds edible, much less tasty.

Its claim to fame is lump-free goop when heated. Take particular note of the words "intended" and "connote" and "edible" in the second bit.........

As a result, when melted/heated, Velveeta maintains a fully integrated, even, clump-free liquid texture.....
The name "Velveeta" is intended to connote a velvety (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet) smooth edible product.........

Judson Green
02-18-2015, 6:10 PM
Good Lord in Heaven above !!! :eek:

There is not one single phrase, in one sentence, that sounds edible, much less tasty.

Its claim to fame is lump-free goop when heated. Take particular note of the words "intended" and "connote" and "edible" in the second bit.........

As a result, when melted/heated, Velveeta maintains a fully integrated, even, clump-free liquid texture.....
The name "Velveeta" is intended to connote a velvety (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet) smooth edible product.........

Its as american as cheese burgers and apple pie.

Sold in slices too makes excellent grilled cheeses

Stephen Tashiro
02-18-2015, 7:30 PM

I think you have to break up the membrane that covers the egg white so the white runs off the top of a sunny side up egg. I've seen cooks gently use a spatula to pull off the clear white from the center toward the side of a cooking sunny-up egg.

I find the scrambled eggs in local restaurants too dry and too pale. Mom's eggs, scrambled or sunny side up, were cooked in a puddle of margarine.

David Helm
02-18-2015, 7:35 PM
My favorite way is soft poached, in plain water. No vinegar added in spite of what TV chefs say. Been poaching for decades and never used the dreaded vinegar.

Rich Riddle
02-18-2015, 7:37 PM
I like eggs from the local farmer. They aren't white shells. Some are yellow, some brown, some even a green color. They free range all the time they are out. Good eggs, but I don't much care for the rooster. Scrambled or over-hard please.

Pat Barry
02-18-2015, 7:47 PM
Its as american as cheese burgers and apple pie.

Sold in slices too makes excellent grilled cheeses
Count me in as a Velveeta fan :)

Brett Luna
02-18-2015, 8:23 PM
I'm a big fan of good cast iron...I'm originally from the South, after all...but I have no trouble cooking sunny eggs in other pans. Whichever I'm using, I put the lid on it to trap heat and steam that'll cook the tops of the eggs. I just watch that the white doesn't start creeping up the sides of the yolk.

While sunny side up is probably my favorite, I like 'em all sorts of ways: scrambled, over easy, poached, soft boiled, etc.

Pretty much anyway, but I was watching Barefoot Contessa making deviled eggs with smoked salmon. Yum. Gonna have to try those. Breakfast is more often over easy, though any form is good with me.

Try eggs Benedict with smoked salmon instead of ham/bacon. Here's my take on it with some home smoked Funny River red salmon:

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s10/v98/p87815334-11.jpg
Click to enlarge (http://www.brettluna.com/img/s10/v98/p87815334-4.jpg)

My favorite way is soft poached, in plain water. No vinegar added in spite of what TV chefs say. Been poaching for decades and never used the dreaded vinegar.

I poach in well salted water with or without just a touch of vinegar. When it's with, I use apple cider vinegar. The WifeŽ like the milder flavor better over white vinegar.

Bill Orbine
02-18-2015, 8:24 PM
Fresh! And over-easy. Home fries. Bacon. English muffin, not too much butter!

Tom Stenzel
02-18-2015, 9:24 PM
Whether at home or restaurant over medium for me. Also like breaking the yolk, frying all firm and put on buttered toast. The one necessity: black pepper. If I cooked an egg and found no black pepper in the house the whole mess would go in the dog's dish.

-Tom

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2015, 9:40 PM
Well I don't drink coffee or need creamer, but the way you describe Velveeta makes it sound delicious. Is it fit for human digestion or is Ken just super-human?

No to #1
Yes to #2

Rich,

Tasting good is subjective!

and Kent is wrong on both counts #1 & #2.:D

Paul McGaha
02-18-2015, 10:22 PM
I like my eggs cooked over hard. We use cast iron skillets and a touch of coconut oil.

PHM

Dave Zellers
02-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Cholesterol in your food does not result in cholesterol in your blood stream.
Thank You! The old, 'eat fat, get fat' meme is finally breaking.

Back on topic:

Runny eggs, eww!

Mopping it up with toast, double eww!

But opposites attract. I married a toast mopper.

I've learned to just look the other way.

Quickly... :eek:

Brian Elfert
02-18-2015, 10:59 PM
I like my eggs scrambled the majority of the time. If I cook eggs I never use anything in the pan other than eggs.

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 11:08 PM
I like my eggs scrambled the majority of the time. If I cook eggs I never use anything in the pan other than eggs.

I gotta put a little butter in first. No margarine allowed in the house - butter.
Copper btm pan distributes the heat evenly, extremely low heat. Heat kills eggs.
Plate them 30 seconds before they are done, because they keep cooking as you race them to the table.

Mike Henderson
02-18-2015, 11:17 PM
Having been around those uncouth animals that produce eggs far too long, my appetite for them is quite low. I'm with Howard though, I want mine no longer looking like an egg, and cooked enough to kill the nastiness.
Wow, I grew up on a poultry farm (egg production) and I feel the exact same way. I can't even look at a partially cooked egg.

I do like fried chicken, however.

Mike

Jim Koepke
02-19-2015, 3:03 AM

My dear egg, how do I love thee? It is beyond me to count all the ways.

Though when it comes to breakfast sunny side up has been a favorite since my mother made them for me as a child. She would cut the toast into fingers. I do not recall her doing this for any of my four brothers. They didn't like them sunny side up, so that may have been the reason. She used the afore mentioned method of coaxing some bacon grease on to the whites to get them to firm.

A friend who taught me a lot about cooking told me to use sesame oil for eggs. So that has become my preferred oil in the pan for eggs no matter how they are prepared. Next is to use a heat just below where the egg sizzles. If you like a little crisp around the edges then turn it up just enough so it sizzles as it first drops in the pan. To help firm up the whites cover the pan. My preferred lids are clear. Whenever we are shopping in second hand stores we look for these to see if there are some sizes we do not have.

This picture was taken just before the whites were fully firm:

These were store bought eggs back before we moved to Washington and got our own chickens. Our fresh eggs stand a little taller and the yolks are a little deeper orange.

Seemed to have some problems with an old image file and had to recreate a new image. Whew, at least there was a way to make it work.

Currently I use a spun steel flat bottomed pan. It is my favorite, but it is not difficult to use cast iron or a teflon pan. If they are being cooked at someone else's home, I make do with what they have.

The way I have been making them lately is with a ring to keep the eggs round when cooked. Then it goes on a muffin toasted under the broiler. When the muffin is slightly browned mustard is added, then a slice of ham is set on one side and a slice of cheese on the other. If one gets the sequence worked out by starting the egg then the muffin the egg should be done just as the cheese is melted. YUM!

BTW, I have only been to one restaurant where they actually were able to make decent sunny side up eggs, Bette's Oceanview Diner on Fourth St. in Berkeley, CA. The also make great omelets, soft in the French style.

jtk

Larry Edgerton
02-19-2015, 3:09 AM
I get my eggs from "walking around" chickens a friend of mine has. Store bought production eggs suck.

I just stole Kents quote from above because it fits, and because I'm lazy.

"I gotta put a little butter in first. No margarine allowed in the house - butter.
Copper btm pan distributes the heat evenly, extremely low heat. Heat kills eggs.
Plate them 30 seconds before they are done, because they keep cooking as you race them to the table. "

Kent A Bathurst
02-19-2015, 3:39 AM
I get my eggs from "walking around" chickens a friend of mine has. Store bought production eggs suck.

I just stole Kents quote from above because it fits, and because I'm lazy.

"I gotta put a little butter in first. No margarine allowed in the house - butter.
Plate them 30 seconds before they are done, because they keep cooking as you race them to the table. "

No problem, Larry my friend.

First time, I believe, you have given me credit for all my stuff you repost.

:D :D

Just jokin', just jokin. You confirmed the validity of how to cook perfect scrambled eggs....................and the validity of all the times I mention my approach to something, and close with "but, I'm just lazy".

I've got close friends that cook them into dead dry crumbles. I always let them go ahead, and then I cook my own. Their version gags me.

PS - how deep in the snow are you? Been getting hammered, or is that to the south and east?

Brian W Smith
02-19-2015, 5:00 AM
Ya'll have made me hungry,guess what we're having for breakfast,haha.

Certified C.I. user here.A slick #3 is the perfect 2 egger.Although a nice calphalon omlet pan is hard to beat as well.Usually make wifey a mine over medium,not quite swimming in extra virgin olive oil with maybe a dab of refined bacon fat.

ryan paulsen
02-19-2015, 7:15 AM
All you guys with an aversion to runny eggs probably shouldn't try my home made mayonnaise!

All kidding aside, I do like scrambled eggs as well (with REAL cheese, however!). Again, taking off the heat just before they're done, and cooked in bacon grease and/or butter in the cast iron.

Rick Moyer
02-19-2015, 8:06 AM
Kent I'm in your camp on both counts; No Velveeta and no margarine!

Larry Browning
02-19-2015, 9:16 AM
Wow! I was unaware that there was actually someone out there who had never heard of Velveeta. This was the only "cheese" I ever had until I left home. Mom would buy it in the big square log wrapped in foil that came in a cardboard box. It tuns out that we were poor and couldn't afford the real thing. Who knew??? I have now become a cheese snob, and Velveeta has been banned from the house.

BTW: Eggs are one of my favorite foods. I will eat them prepared just about any way. My favorite way is probably over easy or poached on buttered toast. Scrambled is my least favorite, but I still like them as long as they are not over cooked and dry. A nice fried egg on my waffle is quite tasty too!

Bill Orbine
02-19-2015, 9:24 AM

Judson, How long am I gonna have to wait for my eggs? I told you the other day how I like 'em and I'm still waiting!:mad:
:D:D:D

Dennis Peacock
02-19-2015, 11:10 AM
I like my eggs scrambled, boiled, and hard fried.

Don Kondra
02-19-2015, 11:17 AM
# 1 - soft boiled :)

#2 - easy over..

Cheers, Don

George Bokros
02-19-2015, 1:16 PM
# 1 - soft boiled :)

#2 - easy over..

Cheers, Don

What is that lying in front of the egg?

Don Kondra
02-19-2015, 1:29 PM
That's the gadget that cuts off the top of the egg.

Place on egg and pull up on the spring loaded handle. It "cracks" a perfect circle that you then pry off.

Quickest/cleanest method I've found, yet..

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/26808-rosle-egg-topper.aspx

Cheers, Don

George Bokros
02-19-2015, 1:35 PM
That's the gadget that cuts off the top of the egg.

Place on egg and pull up on the spring loaded handle. It "cracks" a perfect circle that you then pry off.

Quickest/cleanest method I've found, yet..

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/26808-rosle-egg-topper.aspx

Cheers, Don

Thanks Don. I tap mine with the spoon and peal it down, doesn't waste the top of the egg.

Richard McComas
02-19-2015, 4:00 PM
Over easy, place on top a pile of crisp hash browns and mix it all up.

Brian Elfert
02-19-2015, 4:15 PM
Wow! I was unaware that there was actually someone out there who had never heard of Velveeta. This was the only "cheese" I ever had until I left home. Mom would buy it in the big square log wrapped in foil that came in a cardboard box. It tuns out that we were poor and couldn't afford the real thing. Who knew??? I have now become a cheese snob, and Velveeta has been banned from the house.

My parents always had a chunk/loaf/whatever of Velveeta in the fridge when us kids were growing up. I don't know if they still do. I think my mom had it because it lasts forever and melts nice, and not because of cost.

Kent A Bathurst
02-19-2015, 5:18 PM
My parents always had a chunk/loaf/whatever of Velveeta in the fridge when us kids were growing up. I don't know if they still do. I think my mom had it because it lasts forever and melts nice, and not because of cost.

Yeah - we always had the square log, foil wrapped, in the box. I think it was because of my Kansas-farm-kids parent's frugality with the herd growing up, and college looming in their future [both parents were first in family history to get college degrees - nothing took precedence over education with that pair].

I thought "cheese" meant Velveeta for a number of years. Did not know about the other stuff.

Wasn't there because it lasted long - nothing in that fridge hung around for long.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2015, 5:38 PM
For the record for you cheeses snobs.....I simply said I like Velveeta on my scrambled eggs. If you were to go into our refrigerator in the kitchen currently you would find, yes, Velveeta, a good regional cheddar, a good regional pepperjack, cottage cheese, American cheese slices and a good regional swiss. Periodically there will be other flavors of cheese in there too.

Brent Ring
02-19-2015, 5:48 PM
Cooked with a smattering of boukri olive oil - adds a spicy green chili flavor! Delicious

Eric DeSilva
02-19-2015, 5:52 PM
Second favorite egg is the "Onsen" egg--cooked sous vide in shell to 64C, served on toast or Eggs Benedict style. Third favorite is scrambled Alton Brown style--cooked low with a pat of butter until curds start forming, then raise the heat and serve before you think they are done. But the ultimate egg is over easy--cooked low-ish, flipped over and removed from the heat for 10 seconds, then placed on tostadas with cheese and refried beans, and then covered with green chile/tomatillo sauce and queso fresco.

And, as long as we're talking breakfast, crack out your waffle maker for hash browns next time. Grate up some starchy potatoes, rinse, dry, dump in a couple TBS melted butter, mix, then spread around in your waffle maker and let it cook for 12-15 min. The waffle thing works really well to create extra surface area for crunchy brown bits.

Gordon Eyre
02-19-2015, 7:56 PM
Out of all the post here no one has described one of my favorite ways to cook eggs. Start by melting a dollop of butter in a cast iron skillet then pour in a cup of milk and break the eggs into the milk insuring you do not break the yolks. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper and then spoon the hot milk over the eggs until the whites are cooked. With a large spoon deposit the eggs and some milk over a piece of buttered toast and enjoy.

Kent A Bathurst
02-19-2015, 8:56 PM
For the record for you cheeses snobs.....I simply said I like Velveeta on my scrambled eggs. If you were to go into our refrigerator in the kitchen currently you would find, yes, Velveeta, a good regional cheddar, a good regional pepperjack, cottage cheese, American cheese slices and a good regional swiss. Periodically there will be other flavors of cheese in there too.

Oh, no you don't. Too late to try and wiggle out of it. You are now and forever more branded as the Velveeta Guy. Deal with it.

:D

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/american-velveeta-cheese-block-8oz-pack-[2]-3484-p.jpg

Bill Cunningham
02-19-2015, 9:20 PM
I'm a big fan of good cast iron...I'm originally from the South, after all...but I have no trouble cooking sunny eggs in other pans. Whichever I'm using, I put the lid on it to trap heat and steam that'll cook the tops of the eggs. I just watch that the white doesn't start creeping up the sides of the yolk.

Yup cooking the perfect fried egg is simple. Put a lid over them while their cooking.

Ole Anderson
02-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Scrambled with chopped green pepper, onions and ham and maybe a little grated cheddar, in a non stick pan with some butter.

Fried, I need them over medium, I hate the runny whites.

Eric DeSilva
02-20-2015, 9:49 AM
I have never seen that done... Interesting. So it is a sort of a combination of poached and fried?

Tom M King
02-20-2015, 10:25 AM
I'll take them most any kind of way, as long as they are fresh. I'm fortunate in a lot of ways, and one of them is to be married to a good cook who gardens and keeps chickens raised organically. We have eggs of many colors, and all good to eat.