PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming knee surgery

David Ragan
02-18-2015, 8:19 AM
I having a torn medial meniscus surgery Friday; arthroscopy.

It is a good thing, cause its killin me.

I have a bunch of exercises to do, am sure to be compelled to do PT. Have ice packs, etc

Am just looking for some encouragment cause am going to be out of work, bored out of my mind.

Anyone had this before that can tell me "definitely do this" and "definitely dont do that"

I am not looking for 'medical advice'

Just scared, I guess.

Jerry Bruette
02-18-2015, 9:07 AM
Just took the ice pack off my right knee so I could come and give you some encouragement.

I had my right knee scoped on Jan. 20 and had two tears cleaned up, one on the inside of my knee and one on the outside.

I still have some swelling and stiffness in the morning and evening.

Be sure to do you're exercises but don't over do them, my therapist thinks I'm having some tendonitis from over doing one of the exercises.

At least you're someplace warm, I do my woodworking in the garage and it's been too cold to do anything out there.

You could probably be back in the shop, for short periods, after a week or so. Had my surgery on a Tuesday and first therapy on Thursday of the same week. Quit using crutches by the following Tuesday.

Did your doctor give you pre-op exercises? If I have this again I'd probably do some pre-op exercises for strength.

Good Luck.

P.S. nice tagline.

Scott Shepherd
02-18-2015, 9:39 AM
Good luck David! You'll be fine! I haven't had it done, but I've been around a number of people recently that have had various things fixed or replaced and the one thing I'd offer up is to follow the doctor and PT regiment religiously. Of the people in my life, the ones that have done EXACTLY as asked have done well. Those that have said "Well, they told me to do it twice a day, but I'm tired and I feel fine", have ended up way behind those that did exactly as ordered. If they say do 50 reps, twice a day, do 50 reps, twice a day.

Tom Davis
02-18-2015, 9:46 AM
David:

I had the same surgery done last December 12 ( a Friday). It was the easiest surgery I have ever had. I came off of the pain meds Saturday afternoon. I was on Crutches trough Sunday and moved to a cane on Monday. I did not have do any Physical Therapy.

2 "dont's":

Stay ahead of the pain curve. Don't wait until you start to hurt to take your meds.

Don't fall.

Good luck

Raymond Fries
02-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Hope you heal soon and get back to those things you enjoy. While you are recovering I hope you find some new interests to avoid your anticipated boredom.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Joe Tilson
02-18-2015, 12:57 PM
David,
You will be fine. Had knee replacement a few years back. Did what the doctors and therapist told me to. Everything went very well. Our prayers are for you, and the doctors and nurses who will attend you.
Sincerely,
Joe

Mike Berrevoets
02-18-2015, 1:13 PM
I'll second the advice to stay ahead of the pain curve.

I had an ACL and both "Sides?" of the meniscus repaired on a Tuesday afternoon a few years ago. By Wednesday night I was feeling good, I think I'm pretty tough, so I stopped taking any pain meds even though my wife was nagging me to keep using them. (I just don't like pain meds.) I found out late Wednesday night that I was in fact not very tough and my wife was in fact very right. It took a while for the pain meds to kick back in and I was not a happy camper for about 6 hours. I don't know what hurt more, my leg or my wife telling me "I told you so". I stopped taking the pain meds on Saturday and was just down to ibuprofen for maybe a week or so after that.

I was back to work the next Monday at my desk job. Ditched the crutches a few weeks later at the doctors orders. Did the PT as told and within a few months it was back to normal like it never happened. No problems since then.

Follow the doctors orders and I think you'll be fine. I'm a believer in the PT as I think that is what helped me to get back to normal much faster. Also, working with a physical therapist gave me back a lot of confidence in my knee. They pushed me just enough and at the right times so when I was done with PT I was convinced everything was back to normal. I probably wouldn't have pushed myself like they did out of fear of re-injury.

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 1:13 PM
Recent rehab from new hip.

Things I did, besides naps:

1. Sort and re-org all my wood screws. More to it than meets the eye: 4 drawers under the bench, total of 100+/- different items. Into small cardboard jewelry boxes, with description and head-style line dwg. [brass, ss, sq drive, panhead, countersunk, #5 thru #12 - quite a load accumulated over the years].
2. Sharpen stuff - can do this sitting down at my back bench.
3. Detail designs for a couple pieces I have long had in mind.
4. More naps.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2015, 1:21 PM
David,

Tom gave you some sage advice. Stay ahead of the pain by taking the meds as prescribed.

Follow the doctor's orders.

It's normal to be nervous before surgery. I worked in the medical field for 34 years and when I had to have cochlear implant surgery 3 1/2 years ago, I was a little nervous even though I had researched it thoroughly!

You and your medical team will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Report back to let us know how it went!

Keith Outten
02-18-2015, 1:41 PM
I don't mind telling you that I also got some very good advice and lots of encouragement here when I got out of the hospital in May this year. I received Private Messages, email and snail mail from people who had been though the same problems I was experiencing and their words of wisdom were some of the best medicine I received. I followed my doctors orders and when I started a 12 week cardiac rehab program I stayed in the program and followed the nurses instructions to the letter.

I can't imagine a better support group than the people who belong to this Community.

Brian Deakin
02-18-2015, 1:50 PM
I live in the Uk. and have had three knee operations over a 25 year period The advice I would suggest is
I have had three knee operations over a 25 year period I would suggest the follwing

(1) Lose weight if you are overweight Any additional weight you have places greater stress on your knees
(2) Identify EXATLY what exercises to do to maintain/improve your knee stability Committing to doing exercises on a regular basis is essential to functioning of your knee in the long term
(3) Ask the question what exercises /activities you should not do
(4) Wear shoes with rubber soles with some form of cushioning In the UK we have Ecco shoes which have a soft rubber sole and Clarks shoes
(5) Take care on wet floors and walking downhill
(6)It is absolutely essential you continue to exercise appropriately to maintain Knee function
(7) Do not carry heavy items ask for help?
(8) Consider using a knee support for certain activities
(9) Get someone to video you or the physiotherapist doing the appropriate exercises on your phone Use this recording to remind you how to do the exercises correctly
(10) Discuss the content of this advice with your doctor and follow his/her which of the above points are appropriate for you

Bob Turkovich
02-18-2015, 2:55 PM
David,

I tore my miniscus in 2008 (stupid ladder trick - missed the bottom rung). [I had also tore my ACL in the same knee in 1969 (IM football) but back then they didn't have MRI's and since I was not an "athlete" the decision was made to do nothing and live with it. I learned to ski, play racquetball and was a single digit-handicap golfer in the subsequent years.]

The MRI in 2008 confirmed the meniscus tear and also that I basically had no ACL. My surgeon convinced me that I should do nothing about the ACL but that with the meniscus surgery I could do anything I could do prior to the ladder incident. I was planning on taking the family on a trip to Yosemite 8 weeks after the surgery and he thought that shouldn't be an issue.

I had the surgery as planned. Funny thing - when the surgeon showed up in pre-op, his one leg was in a brace. He had ACL surgery the week before.

I was back at work (desk job) in 3 days. No crutches but needed a walking pole for the first couple of days. The best pain relief for me was ice - lots of it. There was a contraption available that had tubes running from a large thermos container to a knee wrap. You fill the cooler with ice water and - when in pain - put the cooler above your knee and open the valve to the tubes. When done, put the thermos below your knee and let the water drain back into the cooler. Then repeat when needed. My co-workers referred to it as my personal morphine drip as the relief promptly showed on my face when I turned the valve on. I couldn't have gone through that first week without it.

I also did the PT exactly as prescribed. When I visited the surgeon for my post op visit after about 5 weeks, he gave me the OK to do some hiking in Yosemite.

8 weeks after the surgery, I did the 8.5 mile Panorama Trail with my family (and I am definitely above average weight for my height) . My hips and feet were killing me but the knee was fine.

I was 57 when the surgery was done. I'm sure age makes a difference in recovery but by following the prescribed PT you should be fine. And lots of ice...:p

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 4:08 PM
Almost makes me want to set up some kind of poll to determine what % of Creekers are falling apart, to one extent or another.

With my first hip - told my Dad "You should have gotten me the extended warranty." Him: "The warranty ran out the same day you left for college."

back operation
2 new hips
appendectomy

David - all the advice is correct, IMO: Get out in front of the pain with the meds. Don't wait until the pain gets intolerable - keep it from even getting there. On the rahab - do what I say, not what I do - gut out the exercises on schedule.

Larry Edgerton
02-18-2015, 6:44 PM
I talked the doc into giving me a local and letting me watch the last time I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee. It was very cool to watch them work see if you can talk them into that.

This particular doc patched me up a bunch so he knew me well. I used to tell him I should be able to borrow his Porsche because I paid for it. He just laughed......

Myk Rian
02-18-2015, 7:57 PM
Go shopping and use the powered carts, or wheelchairs.
Get a handicapped parking pass.

David Ragan
02-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys.

I am just ready for this to be over.

I been doing my knee exercises, now my dang hip muscles hurt. I'm groggy from the ultram. Not busy @ work now, so I bored.

Plus, they just said go ahead and stay out the entire week, cause there will be no support staff for me.

My high dollar knee brace is starting to loosen up and not do so great. The sleeve part is getting stretched out, which means I have to cinch up the velcro more

I am feeling reallly pitiful.

Good news? My shop is now renovated-something I did over the last 4-6 weekends. Don't tell my wife that this is probably what put my knee pain over the edge.

So, after I get outa here, I am gonna do the WalMart the Publix thing for groceries. I normally do that on Friday AM before coming in to work. Just produce/meat/deli @ Publix.

I will be sure to clean out the kitty litter in the AM before my surgery, so the ladies don't have to do that any more than necessary....take out the trash......etc etc.

William Payer
02-19-2015, 4:41 PM
I having a torn medial meniscus surgery Friday; arthroscopy.

It is a good thing, cause its killin me.

I have a bunch of exercises to do, am sure to be compelled to do PT. Have ice packs, etc

Am just looking for some encouragment cause am going to be out of work, bored out of my mind.

Anyone had this before that can tell me "definitely do this" and "definitely dont do that"

I am not looking for 'medical advice'

Just scared, I guess.

Had arthroscopic surgery on my knee about 15 years ago. Cleaned up a couple tears in the meniscus, and had to scrape out the entire joint to get rid of the inflammation.(Pics looked like red sea weed everywhere) Doc said it was the worse case of inflammation he had seen. I walked out of the hospital with crutches only because they would not let me do otherwise. Once home, there was swelling and stiffness, and the only real pain was that of the muscles, most likely because of the incisions and stretching to get instruments in position. Returned to work 2 days later ( not a physical job) without crutches and did PT after work. The surgery was really much less a problem than I had anticipated. On follow up visit, I was telling the doc I felt great (which I did) and he cautioned me that "You'll be back in a little while". 6 years later I was having some pain and saw him. He told me he meant I would be having issues within a couple months--not 6 years! So, I felt the surgery was a success.

Good Luck with the surgery tomorrow, keep it elevated with ice , take your pain meds, don't over do it--a little at a time, and you will be up in no time.

Kent A Bathurst
02-19-2015, 5:24 PM
Thanks guys.

I am just ready for this to be over.

I am feeling reallly pitiful.

Good news? My shop is now renovated-something I did over the last 4-6 weekends. Don't tell my wife that this is probably what put my knee pain over the edge.

The shop renovation may have adjusted the timing by a bit, but your days were numbered either way.

The odd thing - pain memory is very short, in my experience. When you come out the other side of the rabbit hole, you will feel so much better that all of this will disappear in your rear view in a hurry.

Keep yer chin up, David.

Afterwards, drive on down to The Big City, and I'll treat you to some beers and we can trade war stories.

David Ragan
02-19-2015, 5:51 PM
Thanks Kent
i may take u p on that
part of me is glad it is hurting so much--the surgery is obviously yhe thing to do

David Ragan
02-20-2015, 3:01 PM
I made it fine, Will chill for 2-3 days and start exercises then
All is good 👍
my sincere desire is to get back in shop asap
thank you all for much meeded support---it really helped me throigh it👍😀

Jerry Bruette
02-20-2015, 3:26 PM
Good to hear all is fine.

Bob Turkovich
02-20-2015, 4:42 PM
You know, the least Kent could do is personally deliver those beers. That way you could also use the ice he packed it in.:p

mike mcilroy
02-21-2015, 8:44 PM
I've had both ACL's reconstructed and more work done on both meniscus(menisci ?) Best words of encouragement is to treat the rehab like you're trying to get something important back, don't just do the work because you have and know the end goal is walking , woodworking, etc., painfree. The knee doesn't hold many mysteries for the medical community so they know what they're doing. Also be thankful its not your back.Thats guesswork in a labcoat.
After my first surgery the people in rehab with me would just stare at me. I asked the therapist if I was doing the exercise wrong and was told " no its just most of these people are just comp cases that don't want to get better and go back to work".
My knees are now better than most of the rest of my original parts.
Good Luck!