PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Trimmer

Peter Pedisich
07-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a laminate trimmer as my next router and was wondering your thoughts on these two:

Porter Cable 310

Colt™ Variable-speed Palm Router Kit
Model PR20EVSK

I want to use mainly for edge roundovers and chamfers.

Thanks,

Pete

Cecil Arnold
07-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Don't know anything about the Colt, but have the PC 310 and really like it. Only problem that I can see with it is the collet, which can jam the shank ocasionally.

Corey Hallagan
07-28-2005, 11:45 PM
I really wanted to get a laminate trimmer as part of my upgrade of tools. But after testing the dewalt 618, I felt I could do without it for now. I originally wanted to get the PC 310. It is a great little router. The new Bosch, has a much better depth control. I talked to Pat Warner about these two, he didn't think the VS was necessary and still thought the old design PC 310 was better. If you do get the PC 310, I would definitely get one of Pat's sub bases for it. It will be much more sturdy and stable on it's base.
Email Pat at his website, he is always glad to help out router fanatics!
http://www.patwarner.com
He also makes a base to fit the PC 7310 that he also likes but has crumy depth control and it needs a good base. Hope this helps.
Corey

Peter Pedisich
07-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Corey,

Thanks, I just bought the offset base from Pat for my DW 618 3-base kit.

I got the 618 because it's lower center of gravity felt better to me than the Bosch or PC890 (although the PC is super smooth and very quiet).

I just tried out a laminate trimmer at work and it felt great the control and feel you get with a laminate trimmer - i felt like I was putting less sideways pressure on the bit.

I think the 310 is proven and made in USA and if Pat Warner likes it...

Thanks Guys!

Pete

Andrew Ault
07-29-2005, 12:03 AM
I have one of his router bases. Good quality and he's top notch in customer interaction.

I plan to buy his offset base for my Dewalt 621 soon. It looks great. I used the router with the stock base this weekend to bevel edge the top of a Craftsman style bed stand...not nearly as easy as with his base.

If I buy a trim router, I'll get his base the same day.

Corey Hallagan
07-29-2005, 12:08 AM
I enjoy making signs. I can see me with one of the laminate trimmers in the future for sign work. Hey.... I like routers ok!!

Corey

Peter Engelmann
07-29-2005, 8:44 AM
I've been surpisingly pleased with the Ridgid lam trimmer. I think it was around $100. Easy to handle, not too top heavy, adjustable speed... The only negative I have is the depth adjustment.

Mark Singer
07-29-2005, 8:54 AM
I have had the Bosch and all the bases for several years and it is really nice.

Bob Noles
07-29-2005, 7:14 PM
Peter,

Look at the PC7310 real hard before you rule it out. I had a very tough time making a trim router decision several months ago and I finally threw my indecisiveness at Pat Warner who was able to push me over the edge on the 7310. I have not been sorry to this day and have used it a lot. I also picked up his bases for it which makes it an even sweeter machine for sure.

Michael Perata
07-29-2005, 7:33 PM
I also have the 7310 and it is always handy because it more than just a laminate trimmer. I use it any time I have a need for a small bit.

Peter Pedisich
07-29-2005, 8:25 PM
Thanks all,

Bob & Michael, on Pat Warners site he seems to prefer the 310 to the 7310. But in the cabinet shop I work in (as a draftsman) the laminators have about 12 of the 7310s.

How is the feel of the rectangular base?

Pete

Bob Noles
07-29-2005, 9:00 PM
Peter,

Pat is an elusive butterfly. Shoot him an email and I think you will find he favors the 7310 :cool:

The square base is ok, but Pat's bases really enhance the useability quite a bit.

David Pettibone
07-29-2005, 9:02 PM
Hello

Personally, I have 4 7310's and I think they do just fine for what I use them for, laminate and laminate with certain wood edges (ogee, round-over, champher,etc....) I am sure there are many people that use them for light trim work. I have not had one konk out on me in 7 years of use. Yes, their center of gravity is definitely higher than the 310, but for me they work just fine and for $89-$99, they are hard to beat. I hope this helps. Good Day!!

David:)

Tom Hintz
07-30-2005, 4:05 AM
I have the Bosch Colt (PR20EVSK) Palm-Grip router in my shop and personally like the variable speed feature. With the range of bits you can use in this thing, for more than just trimming laminates, it's nice to be able to slow the bit down for some work, like edging where the full-on speeds tend to burn or otherwise produce less than perfect cuts. Sometimes slowing the bit a tad seems to make a big difference.
The square base does not seem to be a problem at all. If anything I think I can get closer to a vertical obstruction because of it. I actually used the base as a limiter when edging some shelves that were already installed. It spaced the edge treatment out from the uprights nicely and I didn't have to use any other stops or setups.
I have a review of this router with photos and more on the features at the link below if that might help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bpr20evskrvu.html

Steve Clardy
07-30-2005, 9:38 AM
I think I have 5 of the 7310's. I'm happy with them.

Steve

Dick Bringhurst
07-30-2005, 11:01 AM
I have several 7310's and like them. The only problem I've had is that the base on occasion is not perpendicular with the collet shaft. This can cause problems when using a flush cutter. The PC 310 doesn't have this problem. Dick B.