PDA

View Full Version : what kind of grease....

Chuck Wintle
02-18-2015, 7:02 AM
I need to specify some grease to use at work and a quick look on mcmaster carr shows an incredible selection of grease of all types. There is lithium thickened, clay thickened, high performance lithium thickened and many more. So how does one select the proper type of grease?

Brian Hale
02-18-2015, 7:45 AM
What are you lubricating?

Jerry Bruette
02-18-2015, 9:13 AM
I'd have a look in the manual for the specific machine you're lubricating and see what the manufacturer recommends. I'd also recommend that if you're lubricating alot of machines, oil and grease, that you get on board with a local distributor (Mobil,Benz-Oil etc.) and have them do a lubrication survey and buy from them. They know what's compatible with what and can probably reduce your inventory of lubricants.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2015, 9:27 AM
Mobile XHP 222 is a good multi purpose lithium based grease that works well for most things. Generally avoid the clay based and moly additives. They both leave a residue as the grease breaks down which cause shafts to seize in bushings and bearings to fail. Pure lithium leaves far less residue and in normal use items will make them last much longer. Those other greases are for specific things, like exposed gears, fifth wheels, cables, etc.

Chuck Wintle
02-18-2015, 3:40 PM
Mobile XHP 222 is a good multi purpose lithium based grease that works well for most things. Generally avoid the clay based and moly additives. They both leave a residue as the grease breaks down which cause shafts to seize in bushings and bearings to fail. Pure lithium leaves far less residue and in normal use items will make them last much longer. Those other greases are for specific things, like exposed gears, fifth wheels, cables, etc.
Steve, In fact I had a look on mcmaster carr and ordered this very grease, Mobil XHP 222 with lithium.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2015, 9:10 PM
Steve, In fact I had a look on mcmaster carr and ordered this very grease, Mobil XHP 222 with lithium.

LOL, good call!