PDA

View Full Version : Quick feedback on the Iwasaki Files/Floats

Hilton Ralphs
02-18-2015, 5:12 AM
After waiting since September last year for the local Post Office to work out that they have my parcel from Lee Valley, the day finally dawned and I rushed off to get it. I had conversed with Chris Griggs having read his review (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169344-Review-of-Iwasaki-Carving-File-It-s-really-starting-to-grow-on-me)from 2011 and watched John Coloccia's most professional video review (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173548-Traditional-Rasps-vs-Dragon-Rasps-vs-Iwasaki-carving-files&highlight=iwasaki) on his file collection and thus ordered two of the Iwasaki red handled files (but some places call them floats).

Lee Valley refers to the cut as Xfine, The Best Things as Extreme-Fine and Iwasaki themselves as Extra-fine. According to the Iwasaki website, the red handled and red tanged files are chemically polished (CP) whist the black handled and non-colour tanged files haven't sniffed any of the good stuff.

Again Lee Valley refers to these as 8" with a 4" cut length and 3/8" in width but other places refer to them as 110mm. Iwasaki notes them as simply 10mm x 200m. Lee Valley does not make a distinction between the CP and normal files.

The preamble aside, I couldn't wait to test these out. I found a piece of Pine brandering which must be the cheapest and nastiest wood around (38x38 nailed to the rafters to attach ceiling boards). I skewed the flat file to the left at about 45 with almost no pressure at all. After a couple of strokes, I switched to using just one hand with my forefinger towards the end of the file. The file tends to want to pull to the right which makes sense if you look at the teeth lines. I was pretty impressed at how light a touch you need and just how quickly I was able to get a decent surface. There appears to be no clogging as found in rasps and metals files and I can't imagine why anyone would want a coarser cut unless you don't happen to have a rasp lying around.

I'll be buying more of the bigger sizes now.

Tony Zaffuto
02-18-2015, 5:23 AM
I have a fine flat and fine half round (have had them for a year or so) and for one reason or another, never really used either. This past weekend I used the flat also on some white pine to flat the bottom of several through pockets on the wood. Very impressed with the finish from the fine, that I have added an "X-fine" to my LV cart, for the "free shipping" order about to be sent off.

David Ragan
02-18-2015, 7:59 AM
I use the Auriou for hogging off wood, plus, I have more of them. The Iwasaki cut well, and leave a better finish for me than my finest grade Auriou.

george wilson
02-18-2015, 8:14 AM
The Japanese floats are certainly sharper than the smallest size "Super Shear" that Nicholson made. Their larger sizes are very sharp,but the 10" were NEVER sharp. I don't know why. It's moot now that they have gone South. What a pity. Lucky I have several of their larger ones.

Mike Holbrook
02-18-2015, 10:39 AM
I have used Iwasaki file/floats for many years. Originally purchasing them to work purple heart plane handles. Hilton is the first poster who has provided me with an explanation for why the finer Iwasaki's have always worked better for me. Apparently they are chemically polished where the black and plain handled models are not? I have had good luck with the finer larger models with no plastic handles but find the rougher ones do not cut as well. I am wondering if the finer large file/floats get the chemical polishing too?

I like the fact that even the finer sized Iwasakis leave something closer to shavings vs sawdust. The residue from using them does not have the nasty habit of getting airborne. In this regard they are more like a plane than sand paper.