PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Hi all. Just wanted to quickly introduce myself and tell you a little about my shop and experience.

I have been involved in woodworking for about 30 years, starting in a small 8X10 storage shed in No. California and growing to what I am today. I currently occupy a 5000 sq. ft. building in the Portland, Oregon area.

I guess I am now pro since I make my living off what once was a hobby. Must be pro, don't seem to have much time for the fun projects anymore.

My business is primarily making frames for a niche industry of ceramic tiles.

Quickly, my equipment is made up of a couple of Delta cabinet saws, a small 2-head molder, a Delta Planer, Shop Fox wide belt sander, edge sander, Dbl Mitre saw, Underpinner, Overhead pin router, a dozen or so PC routers, drill presses, and more different sanders than I care to think of. I spray lots of lacquer in a spray booth everyday.

I market my business primarily through the internet with 3 national distributors doing their part.

I look forward to communicating with other woodworkers and hope to get some time to play with some more challanging projects. I'm particularly interested in mission style furnishings.

Dream equipment...a cnc router, a 5 head molder, and get this....a cnc plasma cutter....love to mix medias!

My funny story for the day....I flunked jr. high woodshop!

Doug

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the Creek Doug! From beginners to pros there all here willing to exchange ideas and share opinions. Wade right in....the water's fine! By the way......did I mention we have a couple of photo cops and there's only one real basic rule.....no photo....IT didn't happen. :rolleyes: A GLoat without a photo ....No gloat..... :rolleyes: Did I mention we like photos? :confused: :rolleyes: :D ......Again...Welcome!

Corey Hallagan
07-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Douglas, welcome to SMC. You will enjoy it here. You sound like a busy guy! Interesting work. Are these frames for combination wood/ceramic table and counter top applications? Again welcome!

Corey
P.S. on the JR High Shop..... Me To! So did the rest of the class. The teacher was a goober that ruined about everyone in the class projects. He was a good metal worker, but didn't know anything about wood working.

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-28-2005, 11:49 PM
The frames are an assortment, from single tile trivet style to multi tile frames for "murals". I also have a small offering of tables, lazy susans, boxes, and urns. I'm involved with a niche industry of folks that decorate tiles via sublimation printing, laser engraving, and kiln fired decal applications.

I don't know all the rules here yet, as to...can I post my web site? That would explain alot.

Jr. High...my teacher was great but tough. I have had the pleasure of having him visit my previous biz where I was part of a large speaker box manufacture to my current shop. We laugh at my lack of success in my younger years!

I understand the picture thing and look foward to using the digital...certainly not a photographer though! If I can ever get the shop clean....does any dust collection system really work?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Doug.....a safe way to post your web page is to put it in your "profile". Select User CP ....then select edit profile......at the beginning of the 2nd paragraph/page there is a place for your webpage URL. Then you can tell everybody to see your profile....You can view somebodies profile by clicking on their name....your webpage would be viewed on your public profile. I hope this makes sense.

Vaughn McMillan
07-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Doug. Man, you must put out a lot of quantity to use 5000 sf of shop. BTW, I liked what I saw on your website. Heck, I may even own some of your frames. ;)

- Vaughn

Doug Jones
07-29-2005, 5:04 AM
Welcome,,,,
something familar about this guy, hmmmm

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-29-2005, 7:58 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Doug. Man, you must put out a lot of quantity to use 5000 sf of shop. BTW, I liked what I saw on your website. Heck, I may even own some of your frames. ;)

- Vaughn

Well.....I don't exactly use the total space for woodworking. I have one bay that is about 1600 ft which houses all of the sawdust generating equipment other than the seldom used chop saw, another area about 1800 feet that contains the office, packaging, warehouse and a small spray booth.

The remainder of the space is where the large spray booth is and my sublimation equipment and supplies. This area will be home of the future plasma cutter.

It is a lot of space for a 1.25 man shop!

Doug

Jason Tuinstra
07-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Welcome Doug. It looks like you keep yourself busy with the various products you produce. Good to have you around.

Donnie Raines
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Good to have you Doug.

Just so that you know....you have been working wood longer then I have been alive.... :D :D

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2005, 2:05 PM
Welcome Doug. I think you will enjoy it here. Lots of idea's and lots of opinions.

Bernie

lou sansone
07-29-2005, 3:00 PM
welcome to the creek and how about some pictures of your type of work.

regards
lou

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-29-2005, 4:55 PM
Good to have you Doug.

Just so that you know....you have been working wood longer then I have been alive.... :D :D

WOW, you sure know how to make a person feel old!

And, thanks to all for the welcome...it feels good to have found such a forum where everyone is so eager to share their work, tools, and shops. Love looking at the pictures.

I'm looking forward to posting some pics of my own as new product is developed, or better yet a fun project is completed!

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-29-2005, 4:56 PM
Doug.....a safe way to post your web page is to put it in your "profile". Select User CP ....then select edit profile......at the beginning of the 2nd paragraph/page there is a place for your webpage URL. Then you can tell everybody to see your profile....You can view somebodies profile by clicking on their name....your webpage would be viewed on your public profile. I hope this makes sense.

It made complete sense and have filled out my profile. Thank you.

Doug

Corey Hallagan
07-29-2005, 4:59 PM
Welcome,,,,
something familar about this guy, hmmmm

I guess we can call you guys Doug Jones L and Doug Jones R :p

Corey

Aaron Koehl
07-30-2005, 3:16 PM
Doug,

Welcome to SawmillCreek! Even though you might have time for the fun projects, maybe you can live vicariously through the rest of our members.. :)

Jim Hager
07-30-2005, 3:36 PM
***Dream equipment...a cnc router, a 5 head molder, and get this....a cnc plasma cutter....love to mix medias!****

I have been experimenting with mixed media stuff since we got the plasma cnc table at the school where I teach jr. high shop. I may be your worst nightmare:D , I'm sure some of my students have had bad dreams about me before.

Here is a pic of something that me and the students did last school year for a retiring band director.

By the way welcome to the creek.

http://www.hagerwoodworks.com/blue2lg.jpg

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-30-2005, 4:39 PM
***Dream equipment...a cnc router, a 5 head molder, and get this....a cnc plasma cutter....love to mix medias!****

I have been experimenting with mixed media stuff since we got the plasma cnc table at the school where I teach jr. high shop. I may be your worst nightmare:D , I'm sure some of my students have had bad dreams about me before.

Here is a pic of something that me and the students did last school year for a retiring band director.

By the way welcome to the creek.

http://www.hagerwoodworks.com/blue2lg.jpg

Awesome Jim...that very nice! Now you've done and wet my appetite again! And, thanks for the welcome.

Doug