PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Seals

George Bokros
02-17-2015, 6:27 PM
I am in the process of a bathroom remodel. I have the toilet out to put in a new floor and paint the wall so a new seal will be needed. I was at the big box stores the other day and saw some new types of seals to replace the wax seal. They were a type of foam that was re-positionable. Years ago I tried a rubber seal that did not leak water surprisingly but did lead sewer odor.

Link to one of them http://www.lowes.com/pd_470197-31904-BL01_0__?productId=4650525&Ntt=toilet+seal&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtoilet%2Bseal&facetIn

Korky brand http://www.lowes.com/pd_586597-868-6000PK_0__?productId=50150240

Has anyone used one of these, do they work? Stay with the old standby wax ring?

Thanks

Bill Orbine
02-17-2015, 7:18 PM
If it ain't broke, why fix it??

Chris Padilla
02-17-2015, 7:35 PM
I like Sani Seal (http://sanisealgasket.com/) toilet rings. Very nice to use...especially holding the bolts in place.

Edit: Guess I shoulda clicked on your first link, George! LOL :)

Myk Rian
02-17-2015, 9:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Korky type. They tend to plug up with a large, umm, err, you know.

Kent A Bathurst
02-17-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Korky type. They tend to plug up with a large, umm, err, you know.

No, Myk. I don't know. Can you spell it out in more detail, please?

Are you saying that your "large, umm, err, you know" is larger than the "umm, err, you know" of the rest of us?

Is this a symptom endemic to Michigan in mid-February? Not getting out ice fishing often enough, are we? Too much time eating bowling alley food? Haven't' been to any Bob Seeger concerts latelY?

Inquiring Minds want to know.

:D :D :D

You remember, I am sure, that I lived in SE and mid-Mich for 25+ years. So - I have some level of understanding..................

John Coloccia
02-17-2015, 11:27 PM
At first I thought it said "Toilet Seats" and I thought to myself, "You know, there are some things a man's just got to figure out for himself."

Kent A Bathurst
02-17-2015, 11:58 PM
At first I thought it said "Toilet Seats" and I thought to myself, "You know, there are some things a man's just got to figure out for himself."

:D :D

We have a winner!!

Ya' know, John....there are days on the Creek where I think you and I are here solely to entertain each other.

Keep up the good work, brudda.............

Bill Orbine
02-18-2015, 6:54 AM

Are you saying that your "large, umm, err, you know" is larger than the "umm, err, you know" of the rest of us?

Is this a symptom endemic to Michigan in mid-February? Not getting out ice fishing often enough, are we? Too much time eating bowling alley food? Haven't' been to any Bob Seeger concerts latelY?

You remember, I am sure, that I lived in SE and mid-Mich for 25+ years. So - I have some level of understanding..................

I think it has to do with combining sleeping plll and a laxative on the same night......... er, ummmm... whatever that is!!:D

Robert Delhommer Sr
02-18-2015, 8:42 AM
Wish I had seen those last time I changed a seal, the wax seals are so messy and sticky.

Brian Elfert
02-18-2015, 8:59 AM
I used a Fernco toilet seal once. It sticks to the toilet with adhesive. Mine came loose and started leaking because the toilet had somehow come loose. I went back to the wax rings after that as they will still seal if the toilet moves a little bit. (I fixed the issue with the toilet coming loose.)

Judson Green
02-18-2015, 11:01 AM

Please NO pictures!!!!

Myk Rian
02-18-2015, 11:12 AM

You're just being a t*r* today, aren't you?
:D

Lee Schierer
02-18-2015, 11:46 AM
You might want to see what your local plumbing code allows to be used.

Bruce Page
02-18-2015, 1:26 PM

I thought the same thing when I read it last night.

Tom M King
02-18-2015, 1:30 PM
The seal is not usually the problem, but the bolts that hold the toilet down. When I built new houses, or redo old ones, I come up with some way to have stainless bolts coming up from under the floor that are permanently secured. The simplest of wax seals never leak when the toilet is held down so good. The biggest trouble comes from bolts rusting out, or wallowing out the keeper slots in plastic flanges. My method bypasses the importance of the flange other than being part of the seal system.

George Bokros
02-18-2015, 1:30 PM
You might want to see what your local plumbing code allows to be used.

Plumbing code schumbing code, are they ever going to look under the toilet, I doubt it. When the house was built and they installed the light fixture over the bathroom vanity they had to take out the box for the light fixture because the builder did not put in a vanity that was sized according to print, it was smaller so the electrical box was not centered over the vanity, so take out the box install the light fixture and the fixture covered the hole in the drywall left from the box. In addition half the electrical box was in a stud cavity used for a cold air return which was visible at the electrical rough in inspection. Both code violations.

In a previous house the flue for the furnace, the sheet metal pipe, was not inserted through the chimney flue liner, it was just butted against the flue liner and not sealed with cement so any back draft caused the flue gases from the OIL furnace to blow into the concrete block wall cavities. The hole through the the block wall was cemented on the inside so it could not be seen until I converted the oil furnace to gas and had to down size the flue pipe. Another non code install by professionals.

I doubt a non wax seal will violate code. I have decided to use a wax seal anyway.

George Bokros
02-18-2015, 1:31 PM
The biggest trouble comes from bolts rusting out,

This is why either brass or stainless steel bolts are used.

Rick Moyer
02-18-2015, 2:10 PM
I like Sani Seal (http://sanisealgasket.com/) toilet rings. Very nice to use...especially holding the bolts in place.

Edit: Guess I shoulda clicked on your first link, George! LOL :)
Saw them using these on This Old House.

Brad Adams
02-18-2015, 3:31 PM
I've been a plumber for twenty years now. Never used one of the wax free seals. My plumbing supply house doesn't even carry them. I doubt you'll find a plumber around that uses them.