PDA

View Full Version : 5 inch Acrylic Cube Award

Khalid Nazim
02-17-2015, 2:56 PM
I have been asked by a customer of mine to advise them if I can make a award which comprises of a 5.5" acrylic cube broken in the middle creating two halves of one award to be shared between the recepients. The outside faces of the award will be in polished red color and the one inside face will be metallic Gold/Silver/Bronze.

I am thinking that I can get a 5.5in or 6inch Acrylic Cube, cut it in half on a band saw and spray paint the faces and then engrave/color fill.

Am I on the right track? Where can I get a 5.5inch acrylic cube? Please the attached and advise.

Regards
Khalid

Bruce Clumpner
02-17-2015, 4:06 PM
5" is pretty rare ($), might be easier just to source some 2.25" instead. Most of the acrylic suppliers can fabricate something. Randy at RBFabrication can work miracles.

Scott Shepherd
02-17-2015, 6:17 PM
If you are going to paint it anyway, what difference does it make? Make it from a stack of 1/2" thick pieces, glue it together, sand the edges smooth and paint it.

Wilbur Harris
02-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Perhaps zig-zag or wave the joint where the pieces fit together. If you use Scott's idea of using thinner pieces to make this thing you have some options. Make it fit together and then sand it smooth. Might be easier to change the way you're doing it altogether...just sayin'. A well made simple piece is most often better than a goofed up complicated piece. Actually, nobody is really happy with either now that I think about it.

Khalid Nazim
02-20-2015, 2:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try these approaches and see how the results come out.